how buggy is "dragon age" at the moment?

mooncarver

buying a modern and unpatched game can be a big mistake nowadays, so i'm asking those who actually went out and already bought it: would i be able to play it through without gamebreaking errors and/or ctd's, or is it better to wait for some serious patches?

The game is pretty darn solid -- its the toolset thats buggy as hell :)

If you just want to play through the game and not play with the toolset at all, i'd say you're fine.

I haven't done all that much of it; I've just finished Lothering with a couple of characters, but I have played through almost all origin stories, and I have not crashed yet.

This is with some DLC and a couple of small mods, ane one patch downloaded. I think that's pretty stable for new game.

I've had a handful of CTDs, but I was multitasking when each one happened. I also ran into a bug that caused a few select cutscenes to play more than once, but they didn't go all infinite-loop on me or anything. I know there's a bug with bows and daggers doing less damage than they're meant to, but I beat the game once already with a dagger/bow rogue before I even learned about that so IMHO it's not a big problem at all.

The one problem that might be a pain in the you-know-what is DLC authentication; Bioware's servers won't always recognize that your downloads are valid, and might refuse to load any savegame with the "unauthorized" content (as you have to be logged into your Bioware account to use any of the official stuff). Restarting the game several times and logging in and out of your account a few times seems to make it go away, but that's a hassle and there's no hard fix yet. I've decided simply to not use any official DLC for the time being and I'd recommend that anyone else who got the preorder/bought new bonus items to do the same as it will save you headaches.

Other than that, I'm having a blast. I can honestly say this is the least buggy new release I've played in quite some time.

Oh and if you play on a high-end laptop like myself, if you put the computer to sleep with Dragon Age minimised it'll crash on re-awakening of your lappy.

I haven't had any of the DLC problems and I have all of them, I've even used them with no internet connection and it seemed fine to me... Maybe I'm just having a lucky run lol.

I know there's a bug with bows and daggers doing less damage than they're meant to, but I beat the game once already with a dagger/bow rogue before I even learned about that so IMHO it's not a big problem at all.

There is a hotfix for this. I don't have the link offhand, but I did pick it up from the social.bioware network. If I recall correctly, the hotfix was created by a Bioware team member and fixes the dex/str damage for bows and daggers.