Quests and Legends

Connstar

did anyone manage to find a copy? would you pm me this or e-mail me <RL email address snipped>

Please don't post valid email addresses in a public forum. The spammers and scammers just love that.

Use the PM system to exchange that kind of information. --TNL

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I question the ethics and legality of that site because I suspect that they never obtained permissions for what they have.

I should let everyone who downloads from there get what they paid for, but I will give warning that the files that fixed some bugs are not included. No, I don't have them. No, I don't know where you can get them.

I can't imagine there is anything illegal or unethical about obtaining 3rd party freeware that was released publicly on the internet with no previous legal waiver. I would like those bug fixes. I thought the bug fixes were for the 1.5 version, and that 1.6 included the bug fixes. Is that not true?

There certainly can be something both illegal (a copyright violation) and unethical (done against the express wishes of the creator) in re-distributing a work that the author has decided to remove from public accessibility.

This is the reason that the Nexus will not allow the uploading of any material without the express consent of the author/rights holder, and will immediately remove anything uploaded here that proves to lack that consent. Many (former) members have been banned for posting material that wasn't their own... that they just "found" on the internet.

What players choose to do on their own machines and between themselves is their business. When it's brought to the Nexus it becomes our business.

There certainly can be something both illegal (a copyright violation) and unethical (done against the express wishes of the creator) in re-distributing a work that the author has decided to remove from public accessibility.

This is the reason that the Nexus will not allow the uploading of any material without the express consent of the author/rights holder, and will immediately remove anything uploaded here that proves to lack that consent. Many (former) members have been banned for posting material that wasn't their own... that they just "found" on the internet.

What players choose to do on their own machines and between themselves is their business. When it's brought to the Nexus it becomes our business.

assuming the work was copyrighted which I highly doubt. I'm not a lawyer so I don't really know. I do not think there is anything unethical in redistributing digital media that was at one point freely available in the public domain. Just my two cents

a) Being "published on the internet" is not all the same as "being placed in the public domain", which has a very specific legal meaning, directly related to copyrights.

b) Any "original creative work" is automatically copyrighted upon creation, regardless of the particular form or mechanism of its publication (in the US and EU, anyway). No special steps need to be taken or notices need to be applied.

c) There can be a significant legal argument over a specific mod and whether or not it is a "derivative work", (since for a derivative to be copyrighted requires explicit permission from the holder of the original rights) but the Nexus believes in providing all authors protection for, and control over, their works.

• 1 month later...