[wipz] Ghogiel's Star Wars

Ghogiel

The Plan:

Make several new assets for Fallout 3. The assets will only be from around the empire/rebellion era. Everything is as movie accurate as I can get.

Updated NOV 30 2009 11am GMT

so here wip my F3 album wip http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/

and my F3 in game test folder Updated NOV 26 2009 8am GMT

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego...out3/In%20Game/

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice nice, finally someone who isnt asking and telling, but doing and updating. Bookmarked, maybe you could work with toxa1 ( his stormtrooper armor needs a lot of attention ) It doesnt look like the default skeleton fits the stormtrooper armor, since it should be clanking around etc.

thanks for the reply.

While am all for collaborating, I just don't think I or anyone would get anything out of me helping to fix, what I think was ddd's completely inaccuate stormie. I know ddd, and I have seen some of his other stuff, which was good. That piece wasn't. and there's no amount of attention I can use to fix it. best start from scratch.

I think concentrating on my stuff is worth more. I will make another new stormie (there is already one in that first link).

just not now.

I mentioned in my first post about accuracy, Stormie, helmet in particular, is so iconic, that is has to be a really good effort. the damn original props faceplates are lop sided and dpending on the half you model after, you can get some dodgey results. In other words and stormie bucket is a hard one imo. real good mesh at least. there are idealised helmets and scemeatics out there though.... /rambling

Im glad you noticed :D I just went to the Star Wars orchestra in Baltimore.

If you need any help digging up art and schematics, just send me a PM. Im off all thanksgiving.

The only 2 things that need to be uber HD is the Stormie helmet, and the rebel helmets ( endor and corrillian ( w/e ) )

Im also looking forward to it because star wars galaxies was cancelled and ruined back in 07 by Sony. Maybe this will replace that part of my gaming soul ive been missing.

I was born in Baltimore. :) Moved to EU now.

I dunno if I could make any competion with swg. It's just me here. And I just make pictures really. I leave all that real modding up to the pros.

What is a corelliean helmet? xwing right? I should be clued up on this stuff. lol.

I nearly modelled, UV and started texturing the Endor helmet. It is far from complete, I still have to ZB it and retopo half it. I think it'll look good once I can devote some time to it. Here is peak at it with a ugly wip texture- http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego...3/endorwip2.jpg

So I guess I'll have to wack my old busted stormie bucket in game. The normal map isn't near my level now. still it does have one, rendered from a highpoly. though I lacked skills, so it is a bit rough.

Update- see fisrt post for links to my album- contains new pics.

I put in several helmets in game, my old ones, I did them all as a big batch and within an hour or so I was wearing a bunch of them. Making those egms is better to do it all at once. If I include the texture variations, and mesh variations, (like the ATST, with 2 different goggle placements, and without goggles, plus at least 2 texture variations, thats 9 helmets right there.

I have 4 rebel fleet trooper variations. 2 stormtrooper and 3 imperial officer hat texture variations... I've got like 20 bits of headgear.

A minor visual update. Check in game folder linkin firstpost to see the imperial gunner helmet. it has a working world model to accompany it, I'm just going to tone the _g map down on the white button, add 1 small detail to the normal. and reexport a new biped after I tweak it slightly. It'll be in my first minor release. Perhaps as soon as tomorrow.

But a pretty huge update in terms of modding. I have deciphered a lot about environment mapping. and created a tutorial on it so other modders can do it as well. check the article section on the nexus.

Also I have exported rigged meshes, with dismemberment enabled, and collision. almost works right out of the box with little post export mess.

So with those successes, and some experimenation on deciphering the shaders, I can move forward rapidly in my asset pipline. It's all about being able to predict your results! nowI know what a set of textures will roughly look like in game, before even seeing them being rendered. This gives me th ability to visualise my final tetxures well before I begin creating them. So less testing and tweaking, which can eat several days on the smallest of details!

I is happy.

Still ever more work to do, and things to learn.

In the other projects. I finished all the Rebel fleet trooper helmet vairations. With my new knowledge of the shaders and env mapping, I can now go and create the env mask texture, and tweak the rest of the maps for best results. I also stared on the collisions.

On to the rebel pilot. I redid the entire chestbox UVs and textures from the ground up. starting with baking some new awesome normal maps. the results are superior. Can't wait to rig the thing and get it in there.

I'm going to relz the Ywing helmet first, as that is essentially completed. though I may add a couple mesh details, 4 small screws on the rim of the openning for the face. It won't add many polys, there is uv texture space, and I liked the results I have gotten with doing that on the imperial gunner and the rebel fleet trooper. Right now they are in the normal map only and being right there on the face area, it could do with being HQ. :wub:

Likely, I'm never actually going to get to plot. My original aim- "Make several new assets for Fallout 3. The assets will only be from around the empire/rebellion era. " and its not changed much now I have put a lot of work in.

Modders, like myself, come close to a whole game studio in one person. But we all have our strengths....and strengths. but our weakness is time. To even just create the 3d assets I have, takes years of practice and effort. 4hour sleeping with 8 hour of working on things straight. I know I say that now, and haven't actually made any releases. but there you go, trust me I have mad redeye, and not from smoking. :)

Then you have to debug. which takes forever. you have to debug everything. then its icons, and I have to put it all through the CS properly for the released esp. Collision etc icons. man, I've been swamped like you wouldn't know! I can deal don't worry.

Now. not only that, as things go for fallout, I even had to take time away from all that. I had to spend time almost all week working out the shaders and texture set. It seems no one had even reported to niftools about the texture set listing the textures in the wrong order? Its been like that for what 9 months or more? so fact is, it's a bit messy around here.

There aren't many modders really poking at the engine. Modders are a rare breed.

/moaning

Basically it comes down to these choices.:

you can have new awesome 3d assets, in a simple plugin that works. simple but nice. my area.

or

you can have either a real mod, with new world spaces and quests. travelling to different planets. with mostly using recycled F3 assets. because I will have to nearly halt asset creation, as both are really full time projects.

If modders want to start a F3 SW quest mod. then thats cool. I'd not be officially affiliated with their work, but the rights to use my assets will be availible, a few conditions about not changing file paths, so these potential guys can easily overided these files with any updates I make.

Also I would be open to small requests if they seemed to keep their modding in a reasonable grandjure level. no TC stuff. A new world space would be awesome. I'd like to do it, but I never had much succes with importing my height maps and world editing with oblivion, and rather not repeat that.

next post,....relz!