[wipz] Ghogiel's Star Wars

Ghogiel

Ok did make a relz. its not the helmets yet. part 1 is finished. all the geck work is done(I made proxies for all the icons, and what not, left to do) the gear is sold at craterside suppy. original I know.

just 1 egm is weird on one helmet variation, so I'll probably just hold that one back

need to replace 1 env map.

need to make 2-3 icons.

I'm sure I was supposed to edit some _em maps. but I'll leave it for now.

think thats it. :)

then I just have to pack all the damn thing up. write the readme.

so with that mostly completed last night...

endor commando:

helmet sculping. just a bit more sculpting, Still have to model the chin strap and a couple details. then its textures, which mostly I'll just make with a AO map, a few dirt layers. and a then a load of hand painting- stiching. I may try to do that in ZB. Then I'll do the backpack. Then the outfit. I already researh the outfit. Its built in my head already. Just have to do it in RL...err,..virtual life.

Rebel Pilot:

Actually rather huge news. Because the jumpsuit is the most important mesh that I will create for my star wars assets, as it is essentialy the same jump suit worn on:

tie pilots,

ATAT drivers

imperial gunners

Imperial fleet

Rebel/imperial technicians

All rebel pilots.

Probably more.

My texturing skills have come on in the past year. and there was something about the jumpsuit. too...a bit....I couldn't quite put my finger on it. And the textures were mediocre at the best. So I set about retexturing...

So I started a new sculpt.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego...ewjumpsuit2.jpg

I think it's going in the right direction, though I shouldn't have the vest and box in that pic...and don't worry about the clipping- non issue. I'm just going to carve it up a bit more. Then retopo, Yes I am completely remaking it from the ground up. it's the same wire as my original one that I released for Ob. But you'd never know. I'll be worth it in the end. can't wait to texture it!

So imediately after I have completed the jumpsuit, there will be a couple kits that are possible. Namely the rebel technicians. then all I need is a new belt (all the belts are separate shapes with their own texture maps, I thought ahead :) ) for the imperial. Which is the same belt nearly every imperial wears. hehe.

So after the endor and rebel pilot is done.

What next? pick one.

options-

Jedi- already have the outfit for males. though I don't like it all that much

Here's a pic- http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego...lout3/jedi3.jpg

imperial officer.

remote/ ITO droid- easy just make a alt eye bot. It's just a sphere really, would probably take a day to do both.

Stormtrooper armor(without making a helmet). a proper good one. like really. no no....seriously. Not kidding.-probably win if this was a real vote. hehe

Tantive IV interior set. already made a good bit of one, I'd make a cmpletely new one. but it would be basic. < my vote!

Gammorean guard- already have 80% done of base mesh and textures. Just needs a bit of tlc, hand tetxures, and outfit. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego.../gammorean2.jpg

Not sure what to rig it too, it is a pretty genaric biped.

Mon calamari, 60% done on meshes and textures, or maybe a different race?

Boushh

Boba

hahah, I could list off all day.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you're using Zbrush, here's a tutorial on material baking:tutorial You could get a decent looking texture within half an hour or so. Best if you have a lot of Matcaps.

Also, a photoshop scratch brush if you don't have a decent one already: scratch brush

Don't worry, I'll be lavishing over the textures

btw, that ZB tutorial for material baking is really old. i think it's for ZB2. It's not how you would bake in ZB these days. Its had a few updates and version changes since that. and one of the things you can do now is get pretty funky with baking materials. with superior results. do the tutorials on pixologics classroom..

I intend to combine polypainting, baking AO and materials in max and ZB, and normal 2d texturing in cb and ps. I'll likely try stuff that won't make the final cut.

anyway that metal scratch tutorial is just what the doctor ordered. thanks a bunch for that. He also has tutorial on normal

mapping, I learnt 1 thing, but as a whole approach, he does it a bit weird.

The tutorial works for 3.5...not much different really. You get the result from what you see in the example there. No varying quality. I've been using it for all my stuff. If you remember the super mutant in my tutorial, it looks fine right. Though I haven't look at pixologic tutorial myself.

yeah it stills works. but doesn't mean its not outdated.

that same technique has been expanded on in later revsions. Check out the tutorial in the pixologic classroom. the one with the weird siltstrider creature. then tell me you aren't going to revise using that method...

Alright thx, I'll check it out. For some stupid reason when I started using Zbrush, I miss those classroom tutorials, and everything I know is from youtube.

-Edit: saw the tutorial. A lot more things you can do with Matcaps/texture. I'll definitely try some of those features out.

Normal map test in nifskope.

Old and busted

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/Oldbusted2.jpg

New hotness.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/newhotness2.jpg

good indicator of my level up in the past 2 years. Practice is paying off. :)

Its all uved and final topology is there now. Its even nearly 1k tris lighter than the old jump suit. the suit by its self is about 3200tri, or less can't remember. the old one was 4k something. iirc. :)

mind there isn't really textures on the new hotness. just normal and a fake diffuse, it does have a crappy bit of AO, a desaturated and high passed normal map overlayed on the orange flat layer. serves for the moment.

its just a tester. i have to hit up a crap load more sculpting before the final render. There is some bluring and jagginess, which I can fix either pre or even post render if I have to.

Also started a sketch up mesh on the cool ass gloves- will retopo after I sculpt.

I'm really happy I have re did the jumpsuit, I'm going to quickly follow up and make Tiepilot and ATAT driver suits.. I have the chest box, just need the hoses and front and back armor really. I'm not doing those helmets mind, they are a composit of a stormie and a xwing helmet, I have niether yet.

Wow what a difference! I thought your work was great before! Are you doing any modeling for the french Morrowind 3E433 project or are they just using your old stuff? I ask because it looks like you are working on a new imperial armour. Armour is always the one thing people can never get done for big projects but it seems to be your favorite thing to do making you an invaluable contributor to any team. Glad to see you are converting your old models to new Beth engines. By the time TES7 comes around you will have 1000's of models ;)

Nope, i'm not modelling new imperial armour. I think perhaps you are refering to the one I modelled a couple years ago for the silgrad tower mod- it is actually partly vanilla ob nifs. I'm not modelling for any mod teams either. I think that french team is the same one who used the morrowblivion tools. they got permission to use my assets- as long as beth has no issues with the morrowblivion tool. which they do. and thats how that went. :ermm:

I actually stopped uploading wips to my photobucket for about a year... untill fairly recently, I have a bit more good stuff laying about. I would go remove most of the old pics in there, but I hate broken links. I suppose we all had to start somewhere. And as for fallout.... I am trying to only bother spending time on making all new models, da hotness. I would consider 90% of what is in my photobucket account novice/beginer level. :down:

But it is true, I make character outfits far more than anything else. I do do everything though. you wouldn't know it, but I think I'm fairly well rounded, or at least getting there. :mellow:

Edit: oh and I definitely have at least 1000 models.

I made a relz :)

Helmets pt1 out the door. hopefully with no major screw ups. heh.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=10252

onto news-

I'm nearly finished the Rebel Pilot. Just faffing over some textures still- they're going well :). it is essentially complete and ready for rigging.

In a few days I'll have a rather big update with pics ;)

So with the helmets pt1 release, I'm putting part 2 into motion- it'll be a small easy one.

Included helmets will be:

Snowtrooper

Royal guard

endor commando

Xwing pilot helmet

I'm going to rewrite the OP I think. yeah.