[wipz] Ghogiel's Star Wars

Ghogiel

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to make a little update. not my usual goodie packed update.

I've done all the world models and most of the messing around. Textures are for the most part all complete. Just need to make some extra color variations on the jumpsuit and what have you, and some icons.

I modified rebel pilot mesh to fit a female form.... just the rigging looked terible on just about all the joint areas. A lot worse than I had hoped for. I'm just having a moan. I've nearly sorted it now anyway. :) just have to scratch make the dismember caps. Then onto making some modifications to the Tie and imperial armor... then I'm done. oh its going to feel good writing the readme on this one.

On a happy note. I just bought a new HDD and in a couple days I should have backups in case of unspeakable horrors.

I'm just going to relz the rebel pilots, imperial army, and tie/ATAT outfits together, along with all the several other kits that can be made with these assets.(imperial technicians/ fleet troopers.). Plus the DH-17blaster, and a couple other star wars weapon assets that I have knocking around.

The Tantive-esque interiors will be held off, if I ever have time to do any world building, those will used. I'd really like to put something uqality together, but I have like several models in the pipe, and could just keep adding projects forever. I need kage bushin no jutsu!

I pretty much rigged the female flight suit now. just got to test in game before moving onto setting up dismemberment.

I decided this is going to be bundled into as well. only fair as the rebel fleet trooper have helmets, and this thread needs more pics :wub:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/impfleetwip1.jpg

Very early wip. while uploading that image, Ive seen several changes I am going to make to the shape. I'm looking forward to making the normal map. :cool:

normal map test render

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/impfleetwip2.jpg

normal, spec, and diffuse test in the GECK model viewer

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/iftWIPtexGECK.jpg

Basically done, Just need to sort the textures on the chin strap and detail the inside of the helmet(which I'm not sure exactly how that'll look, but I won't make a meal out of faffing there)

I just hope when I come to export the final in game mesh the normals come out like they are now! the exporter is is giving me varying results on my tangents/normals, and when you are render normals from high poly meshes, this is important for those to be correct, or else bad shading/lighting happens. and looks terrible. a couple of the starwars helmets I relzed have a little issue with that there.

not much to complain here, how boring... :P

anyway i suggest a change in the scope's environment map... having lush green fields and trees complete with rabbits mating underneath them feels kinda off in 90% of the locations in fallout, maybe try something generic (like the vanilla ones), less detailed, and definately nothing green :D (imo)

btw, dou you polypaint or photoshop those scratches and wear marks around the edges? or do you even use a procedural shader?

Yeah the Env map on the scope has changed, well its the same one, I just chnaged the mask for now, toned it right down, its more red/generic as in the diffuse texture. I'm probably going to switch the env map as well, The env maps are rendered in object space, and weapons are sitting on their side in the nif, so the env map renders at a 90 offset. Which means they look sideways crappy anyway, unless made specifically for weapons. :rolleyes:

Depends

In the image above?

there aren't scratches on the edges there, its just several genaric grunge textures overlayed on the whole thing in photoshop. The edge highlights was actaully made by baking a normal map from a high poly, then using crazybump to convert that into a AO map. Most of that went into the spec on this project. I think it came out nice. I did some hand painting and baking, but not a whole lot. might be worth showing it- the "AO" I got from CB is there as well, i say AO, but it isn't at all really

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/IFTtextureSheet.jpg

Most of the time I am hand painting scratches with a grunge brush and masks though, still working on my techniques with all this. the specular is quite important for the final look.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/imparmyTEXTURESHEE1.jpg

I'm going to have a o/t whinge really quick...

I just looked a mod for a outfit earlier, it was very basic, essentialy a cloned mesh of type3 with edited collar and boots whacked on. and the thing had 22meg of textures, all the normal maps were compressed to dxt3 or 5, so had alpha channels, but they were completely white. Use the F'ing specular level in the material if you don't want a complex spec map! thats whats its for, and save probably 6-8 megs of texture space! And while at it, make smaller normal maps and do't compress them. at 10254x 1024 sizes, In every case, and I mean every, a 512x512 8888ARGB will be superior to a 1024x1024 DXT5. Prove me wrong please! yes the gauntlet has been thrown.

honestly, I hate being a scrooge. why this stuff drives me insane I'll never know.

ic, ic...

btw did you ever realize a difference between placing the spec in the specular slot of the nif in comparision to just copying it into the normals alpha channel? cause i dont lol...

and dont be ashamed of getting frustrated over badly compiled models ;)

once you have to convert them regulary youll start to realize that nearly noone makes models that are workable, only few see the need for a clear structure in naming and object hirarchy aswell as texture distribution... but youll enjoy well made ones even more then :P

spec maps- can that be done at all? The specular slot in the nif texture set is the same slot as the normal? hence the 2 maps still combined as 1 map, and the engine knows what to do.

I am hoping to god bethesda update the texture set for TES5. and just give us a specular slot- would still be the same texture sizes, but then if we are lucky we can start messing with colored specular maps :wub:

Yeah I have seen a lot of crazy sht in models and texture assets for F3 and oblivion. If the artist does their best on the art, even if it is substandard, I have respect. And I'm happy. I know I am still a releative beginer in texturing. but Im doing my best.

heh, I might go and make a 20meg/20ktris asset and see if I can compare..

20k tris is not a problem usually, 20mb textures is... ;)

anyway, there is indeed a specular slot, dunno if it was the last or the one before that, and ya good point, it can be used to display spec colors, completely forgot bout those...

some vanilla models even use it

easiest way to find out which slot it is is to put somin in the specular color and specular level slots of the material in max (dunno how that works in blender)(i think specular color is the one that gets exported... would make sense but as i mentioned i completely forgot :D)

its not just us modders who make crappy models btw, just take a look at the submarine from point lookout, the horror... the horror! to quote Col. Kurtz