[wipz] Ghogiel's Star Wars

Ghogiel

20k tris is not a problem usually, 20mb textures is... ;)

anyway, there is indeed a specular slot, dunno if it was the last or the one before that, and ya good point, it can be used to display spec colors, completely forgot bout those...

some vanilla models even use it

easiest way to find out which slot it is is to put somin in the specular color and specular level slots of the material in max (dunno how that works in blender)(i think specular color is the one that gets exported... would make sense but as i mentioned i completely forgot :D)

its not just us modders who make crappy models btw, just take a look at the submarine from point lookout, the horror... the horror! to quote Col. Kurtz

Ok, 40k tri it is then!

Honesly, I don't see where the standalone specular goes, well I do if its possible to get worky, just not how to get them working.

I exported a mesh from max with a bright red map in the spec slots, It looks like the specular color map went into the envronment map mask slot- the last one in the BStextureset. But can't get it to do anything right. Maybe a shader flag, I tried a bunch, nothing did as I was expecting. What vanilla assets did you see using this?

true that about seeing some shadey meshes in released games. :whistling:

I thought a lot of oblivion meshes were a bit dodgey, in comparison to fallout.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40ktris is not a hurdle yet... go further, think bigger :D (i converted a "low poly" 70k armor a few days ago without any noticable lag if only worn on one character, it might affect the fps tho if you intend to put 100 npcs wearing it in the scene tho but then your cpu would prolly die due to the ai and decals before you actually witness lag due to poly count

@spec map

mmh thats strange... the chinese officer sword for example has one, the one before the last slot is the environment slot, blabla_e.dds, the last one is the blabla_m.dds which i assume stands for "material" and the _m maps also look like specs but in greyscale, dunno if its actually possible to use color here, i added it at least to some of my models (claws) and if i remember correctly they have a slight bronzish specular as intended

The _e is the environment/refection map. the _m is the environment mask map

I would like to say the tint is due to the color of the environment map. but maybe not in this case. And ironically, there are chineseofficersword_e.dds(which will not display in game as a environment map anyway, as its not a cubemap!) textures.... which aren't linked up in the nif, it uses the shinybright_e.dds. I don't know about what the texture set is link ingame. bethesda, tut, tut. :blush:

If it does use the chineseofficersword_e.dds as an environment map in the texture set and, that somehow works in game, that would be contary to all my testing on env maps. TBH, 90% of all my visual testing was done in the geck, so there IS a slight chance I never tested that senario in game. I think I did, and it displayed just as if I had SF_Multiple_textures enabled, but with a empty env map slot. (Looks plasiticy)

edit:clearification

Polished off several textures. Still a few more to do. only another evening hopefully. There is a lot of variety, and I have every thing optimised by formlists, with several texture sets, and armor addons all working together, could end hard to keep track of it, but so far its all goooood.

I did a load of GECK work. Nearly sorted there. Most everything is using proxies, so hopefully once the female assets are finalised and some icons made, I can just replace them. Tthe imperial Fleet trooper helmet looks pretty tight in game.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/In%20Game/impFleetgame1.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/In%20Game/impFleetgame2.jpg

I see I need to address the spec or gloss of the jumpsuit.

I'm not going to finish up the snowtrooper right now(must focus on NOT adding more content :P), but a semi incomplete version will be included- No custom boots or gloves, probably no backpack(I have made a mesh for that) and no trech coat hanging past the waist. <textures in the screem shot are going to look better at the final, I just threw what you see togther really quick. I think i'll be somewhere between the helm and armor. and the jumpsuit will have a different tone.

I have decided to do Bwing chestbox/flakvest(the only other one I have good reference for), which will basically take the place of what I am using on the other flight suits besides the xwing one. A/Y/ and B wings. So that'll be green/grey and red flight suits. Yes I know, stop adding content. :whistling: I promise I have it done in a few hours, and that'll be the last piece!

could end hard to keep track of it

ha, so im not alone... always wished there was a tool that lets you see all assets a mod needs apart from the vanilla ones, once you have a bunch of models it truly is hard to memorize em all and not to forget a folder or two in the release :D

Done that! It is really easy to forget assets when packing a mod. And I don't even make mods! I just make assets lol.

This is probably the most technical setup of models I've ever done. not including the female and world models, there is about 15 or so mesh assets. doesn't seem like much, But most things have at least 1 alt texture set, up to about 10 and there are several model lists, so there are a good few different collections of armor addons. So you could have green flightsuit with the grey flakvest, which ends up its own entry... the amount of variations I could do are :wacko:. I am only going to make about a dozen or so entrys in the end I think. I'll try to compile a full list and take some screens for the relz.

Got my new hdd, started backing up. phew!

Now I'll have some space too. Going to go eat that up, OM YOM!

Question: there is a program that can remove any changes I have made to a cell? like load my esp, and see what changes it makes. then delete all the references to the cell. or just copy all my data entries to a fresh esp, and then sort out the merchant container and what not from there?

I'm sure I haven't done anything in the cell besides dumping my assets on the floor so I can test them in game. but I could have done something else by accident. :unsure:

FOMM... it has a buildt in plugin editor which worked before the geck was even released... you simply find the entry that says somin like "world" and click your way through it until you find the cell you want to be unaffected and delete that one... or if you dont want any cell to be affected at all you delete the whole "world" entry...

FO3edit can prolly do the same but im happy with FOMM for most of the time, copying entries from one mod into another however is easier with FO3Edit imo...

Cheers! I have FOMM, don't think I have used it even once :P

sounds easy enough.

I'm out of town on friday for a week. I'm on hold untill the 5th.... Maybe I can get some work done.

I've been bad, and this evening I did a speed project. It actually took a bit longer than I thought. I started around about 4:30, and its 9:24 right now, and here is what I did in one long ass sitting.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/remotetest1.jpg

I reckon I still have another hour left on the textures to get it looking right.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back at it.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/astromechR4basetextureWIP.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/astromechR5basetextureWIP.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Fallout3/astromechR2basetextureWIP.jpg

I made a good start on texturings my Astromech droids. Imo there is no star wars without droids. So I had to bump these to high priority. I actually modelled most of of these back in 2007, when saiden storm released his custom creature tutorial, I used that to make a skeleton and idle, and actually had them in oblivion. though very incomplete. I ran into a few issues then, and moved on. This time I think I might be able to get him in fully. I have decided after the rebel pilots, next project I begin will be Droids. Everything else is on the backburner.

I am of course going to fix the rig of the female meshes. I'm making my third and final atempt later. I think I might get it better this time. otherwise some noodling on the female shoulder will be happening when aiming a weapon.