[Tutorial]Environment Mapping in Fallout 3

Ghogiel

yeah again for things that will show obviously bad/inconsistent/incorrect cube/enviro 'relfections', consider making a cloudy smokey cubemap, which only contains soft gradients, or a heavily guassian blurred amorphous blobby shape type set... this should allow for some neat results, without blowing away realism completely (since you wont quite be able to make out mountains or clouds in that much detail ;) The desired effect just being a cubemap sliding across the surface generating the simulated reflections anyways

DELTA42- looks pretty good.

Skree got it there.

after experimenting with the very scenic ones. I decided a more genaric best fit for most senarios env map would be nice to have. I'd still go with tiling it, the sharp breaks are quite noticeable imo. also making the bottom darker, the top lighter, as that suits both indoors and out, perhaps just more... not so easy to see what the shapes are, As skree suggests.

Strangley- Oblivion had 2 env map. if set up with the right flags, I think , one was displayed indoors the other outdoors.

The indoor one was just a slodge of white on a 64x64 texture, which was the highlight being scrolled over the surface- or is what the shader looked like with the absence of an actual env map.

The other was a tree line . neither were cube maps iirc.

so if thats correct, perhaps in a way, ob was more dynamic in that sense.

• 1 month later...
I followed the tutorials yesterday without knowing how recent they are. I got some very good results, ignoring the fact that the environment map does not change depending on the region. I'm use to doing this on the Source engine where the environment map is actually dynamic, but o well. I think the both the scope lens and silver slide deagle came out very well, though it's hard to tell on the deagle from a static screenshot.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/DELTA_011692/SCARAcog.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/DELTA_011692/Deagle.jpg

WTB your Assault RIfle!