What level of difficulty do you play on?

overload1977

What level of difficulty  

143 members have voted

1. 1. do you play on?

• Easy
    • Normal
    • Hard
    • Nightmare

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference between the difficulty settings is not all that great, the biggest jump is normal->hard (you get friendly fire from aoes). Apart from that, lower difficulties get a slight attack bonus and longer duration on stuns and stuff from the player.

I dislike not having friendly fire, so it's hard or nightmare for me. Fortunately, the game becomes quite easy when you learn a few tricks: which talents are good early, which places are better to visit first, where and what is important to buy, which spells are good, how to set up tactics properly, etc. It's not so much about optimization, really.

@Elexadora: Err this is a pause and play game. Meaning you are SUPPOSED to pause and give your group commands. If you dont, then even normal can be deadly, yes. Remember, the character you control only is 1/4 of the total power available to you - if you let the computer control 3/4 of your power, then there is no surprise the game feels "hard". And also yes, you need to get a lot of potions ASAP. Even with two Spirit Healers in group I still needed potions.

As i said, it's a matter of picking up tricks.

You can make 99 small lyrium potions right out of lothering for less than 3g. This pretty much means infinite mana for your mages for a long time.

By about level 10, you have enough tactic slots to set good tactics for tanks, dual wielders, archers and healers, to the point where i rarely, if ever, have to micromanage any of the first 3.

Basically, you want your tanks to heal if they are in trouble, and to taunt if an ally gets attacked. You may also want them to turn on rally when stamina is gone by half, to battlecry if heavily surrounded, and to shield bash if an enemy is grabbing an ally. Templars also get to use their nuke against spell-using foes.

Dual wielders want to heal if in trouble, and to just attack the nearest thing that moves (you may also want additional tactics to turn on sustainables). Rogues want to attack disabled (paralyzed/stunned) foes instead, and to disable a foe if none is available (thanks to coup de grace, you don't need to micro rogues for backstabs if your mage is doing its work properly).

Archers want to arrow of slaying spell-using foes, heal if in trouble and that's about it. Mages with heal want to cast their healing spells if an ally is wounded, the rest of their spells are better handled manually.

It's also good to know what places are good to visit first, i normally visit denerim to pick up an archivist belt and crafting materials, magi tower for lyrium and the forest for elfroot. Avoiding doing redcliffe right out of lothering is a good idea unless you are a mage, and magi tower is a popular first place to complete due to the stat bonuses.

Not doing the above tends to make difficulty into a bumpy ride. Doable, but in certain places harder than what's healthy.

There's also picking CC spells early for mages and taunt for tanks; and ofc cheap things like taunt->forcefield and then throwing ugly aoes on top; or just making an arcane warrior.

ok i have finished it, humum Female warrior level 21 all most level 22 time played 42:13.15 hours over 75% of all side quest done, i think i got the good ending everone loved me lol 800+ achievements points not bad ^_^

Hard, but it's a bit too easy. Not sure if I want to make the jump to nightmare, though.

to easy? mind if you tell us your build? and do you use any cheating /op item mod that hand it to you for free? =]

I'm running on Normal atm and the Back Alley encounter was a struggle, yet fun but no reload so far for me even on my first try. Right timing CC ftw with no cheat of course.