Time, is a delicate thing.

Gishank

Hello everyone.

I am posting today to announce to the public a concept of a mod I intend to begin working on at the start of next year once a team has been fully established. The mod is entitled "Time, is a delicate thing". Now you may be asking yourselves what exactly this mod is about, the base idea is that you uncover a US military bunker designated "FUTURE KIND". Due to having been designed in secret on the far outskirts of DC and being a top-secret project it is not marked on any map. This bunker, although littered with the many remains of soldiers of the US military is in apparent fully working order, apon venturing and exploring the base the player will uncover a wide array of equipment and supplys aswell as encounter many robots (primarily Protectrons) and several computer terminals, after browsing through the terminals the player will uncover blueprints of the bunker aswell as the infomation needed to unlock the hidden area of the bunker housing "Project LIGHTNING", the player will then be set on a quest to get Project LIGHTNING functioning by getting the power generator to function. Apon getting the power generator to function the player will uncover a console detailing the history aswell as several log files detailing what Project LIGHTNING is. The player is then free to use Project LIGHTNING, however to find it has only a pre-set date "October 21st, 2067", apon using the device the player will be teleported back to this date. The idea is to give a first-hand view of what life was like before the great war's finale, the mod will progress for 13 years (including event like scenarios for everything that happens during this period *including* the great war) till it reaches the date "October 21st, 2080", at which point the player will be teleported back in an epic fashion. Most notable however anything the player changes (e.g a major event) will have consequences in the world once the player returns, of course once the player has returned he may travel back to *any* date between the parameter preset, allowing him/her to change things to their own desire.

It's a base line concept, however I believe that it could prove to be a very fun mod. Personall I have limited experience with the GECK and very little with the raw scripting aspect of the engine that Fallout 3 runs on, however I intend to learn and start work on this at the beginning of next year, of course if anyone wishes to join me and help create this mod (be it modelling, scripting, or mapping) it'd be truely helpful. Of course, non-canon items and other things could even be included in the mod (with permission from their authors) to offer a truely diverse and unique experience.

Please leave your comments and criticisim on this concept. d=

i really like this idea Gishank, good name too :)

i do caution you heavily though, this mod definitely sounds like over 2 year of work, unless you have over a 5 man team, and not just 5 noobs, this scope of project would require experts or atleast veterans to pull it off in anything less than such a timeframe, unless you have no jobs and work every day on it.

Not trying to dissuade you from your grand creation, but merely throw up some red flags which can hopefully allow you to consider the requirements/impacts of such a vast undertaking.

Changing history past/future sounds nice on paper, but unless it is completely fleshed out 100%, it sounds like an extremely involved and infinitely (literally) complex process.

When all is said and done we must be realistic and confine our desires and hopes to 'linear possibilities' which players may choose.

the whole idea of open world games is defeated by any attempts to introduce storylines, in that, players are not exactly making their own stories, so much as they are conforming to premade ones, perhaps with their own small touches.

I really like your idea alot, but again, it might be beneficial to take this time (before you start) to seriously write up (in full) the entire details of just exactly how players can alter history, and/or revisit. Perhaps narrow down the options to 'kill a key npc, or let them live' and the end possibility is 2 alternate realities.

Again, beware, as unless you are willing to completely revamp 2 exact copies of the DC wasteland, such an endeavor is bound for the giant lockbox of mods that never get finished/abandoned.

i wish you the very best in your epic concept :)

i really like this idea Gishank, good name too :)

i do caution you heavily though, this mod definitely sounds like over 2 year of work, unless you have over a 5 man team, and not just 5 noobs, this scope of project would require experts or atleast veterans to pull it off in anything less than such a timeframe, unless you have no jobs and work every day on it.

This sounds daunting, and it is probably very accurate.

Even then, I think that some of your ideas simply won't work. One can conceive of flying like a bird from a rooftop to set down lightly in the backyard, but find actually doing it somewhat problematic.

A project of that scope should pay, imo.

The comma is to symbolise a pause in the speech and thus perfectly legit. I do not wish to seem rude but please do not comment on other peoples grammatical abilities hypocritcally. Although I have little experience with the GECK and the raw scripting side of the engine that is used I do have a wide array of knowledge in C, VB script, Javascript, PHP, Unrealscript, and some experience in LUA, untill the start of the new year I shall be refining the concept, improving my knowledge of the raw script and generally fiddling with GECK. Of course I shall work alone if I have to thoudh I certainly do welcome anyone and everyone who wishes to assist. Of course Skree, I do not intend it to be an easy task but being unemployed at present gives me plenty of time to work on it whilst I find a job in the mean time.

The comma is to symbolise a pause in the speech and thus perfectly legit.

No, it isn't.

Truth. It's a delicate thing.

Generally I wouldn't waste time correcting a poster who would rather defend his position than admit that he made a mistake and ridicule someone for mentioning it. The grammar in a post is a minor thing, so I normally wouldn't bother correcting it either, because I don't care as long as I can understand the intended meaning. But your reaction to the correction could be telling insofar as what someone might expect if they should decide to team with you on a project. Quibbling over minor matters doesn't inspire confidence in a smooth and enjoyable working partnership, because there will be much more complex and frustrating issues involved with developing a mod such as the one that you propose.

Gishank, given your extensive background in scripting, I think this will be very do-able even though you work on this alone.

I'd only like to wish you perseverance as the fine tuning of cells and navmesh is a load of work that can border on frustration.

Good luck and godspeed!