Mech Warrior games

Harabec Weathers

that makes me wonder, will leg-damage leave mechs immobilized (mw2) or able to limp like in mw4
Hmmm...I replied to this once already but apparently it got lost in the forum move...the post must exist on the old forum...hehehe.

Anyways, I speculate that based on the movie trailer, if the leg is destroyed (blown off), the mech will fall as one would expect with a bi-ped robot. The evidence in my speculation is the arm that was blown off the Atlas.

All this talk about mechs makes me want to install Mech Commander 2 on my rig and play it again...if only I can find my CD (been having a problem finding my old CDs lately...even Oblivion)

LHammonds

I read about half of the posts on this thread then did a search after watching the trailer. Hopefully the game can still go off as I heard they had some legal stuffs to work out. Also I noticed that the building although it did not fully blow up went into various stages of disrepair after being hit. I think what would make a game like this or any game more immerse and heaps better would be geomod. Actually destroying what you hit like taking an entire building down or burning a hole through a mountain would make games so much better. The computers now with quad core procs could handle this. It would also be very cool if you could park your mech and go on foot exploring and of course with a vast array of weapons available to a foot soldier.

Also noticed after he ejected he was above the mech and noted 3 things I felt like pointing out.

1. He did look up to make sure his chute was fully deployed which was realistic. But I think (if I remember correctly) you need 300 - 500 feet of drop and wind resistence for your chute to properly deploy and operate.

2. He was using a round chute instead of a square or (cell chute) which makes me wonder if this is the future and the round chute has been around since WWII why use it? I mean SF units and other spec op units and free-fall units use a cell why not a mech warrior?

3. The blast from his mech going into melt down would likely kill him anyway so he should have been ejected at an angle. That and maybe he should be wearing a suit like from Crysis where he could become invisible to the enemy while being dangled in the air this of course also applies to his chute. Maybe instead of a chute an escape pod?

I would still play it as I like mech games.

I read about half of the posts on this thread then did a search after watching the trailer. Hopefully the game can still go off as I heard they had some legal stuffs to work out. Also I noticed that the building although it did not fully blow up went into various stages of disrepair after being hit. I think what would make a game like this or any game more immerse and heaps better would be geomod. Actually destroying what you hit like taking an entire building down or burning a hole through a mountain would make games so much better. The computers now with quad core procs could handle this. It would also be very cool if you could park your mech and go on foot exploring and of course with a vast array of weapons available to a foot soldier.

Also noticed after he ejected he was above the mech and noted 3 things I felt like pointing out.

1. He did look up to make sure his chute was fully deployed which was realistic. But I think (if I remember correctly) you need 300 - 500 feet of drop and wind resistence for your chute to properly deploy and operate.

2. He was using a round chute instead of a square or (cell chute) which makes me wonder if this is the future and the round chute has been around since WWII why use it? I mean SF units and other spec op units and free-fall units use a cell why not a mech warrior?

3. The blast from his mech going into melt down would likely kill him anyway so he should have been ejected at an angle. That and maybe he should be wearing a suit like from Crysis where he could become invisible to the enemy while being dangled in the air this of course also applies to his chute. Maybe instead of a chute an escape pod?

I'll comment on what I can

2. while this game is set around the year 3015, a series of wars (the succession wars) have essentially hindered & reversed tech gain throughout the known space (Inner Sphere) since the mid 2750's

3. Optical stealth (cloaking tech) doesn't exist IMO & an actual pod is a luxury item that few mech models (at least in this time-frame) have

sequels should offer additional tech (if this follows some of the Original lore)

Haha, I thought it kinda stupid to be right above the explosion too but wrote it off as just cinematography. Forget chutes or pods, I'd stap on one of those jump jet packs and just bounce out of there!

LHammonds

Haha, I thought it kinda stupid to be right above the explosion too but wrote it off as just cinematography. Forget chutes or pods, I'd stap on one of those jump jet packs and just bounce out of there!

LHammonds

Now that you brought it up, actually that would be the best idea. Or maybe while you are inside the mech suit you have a little Ironman like suit on that has jets in the hands and feet.

I read about half this post.

I read about half this post.

:blink: huh :blink:

Lol, I'm just poking fun of your post. You said you only [bothered to] read half the posts on this topic and it struck me funny in a slightly offensive way. Why should someone read all of your posts if you're not going to bother reading theirs?

Don't take me serious though. I'm just joshing. :whistling:

But to get back on topic, I think stealth/cloaking for mechs would be an awesome addition to the genre. Can you imagine sneaking up on a mech and then popping out of stealth to unload a full alpha strike?! That gives me thrill chills!

Since the OP mentioned Starsiege, I feel obligated to put in a good word for "that other mechsim game." The original servers are long gone, but there is a community-hosted master server up and running. Not too many players around, but every so often a good size match gets going. The good part is that weapon/component use and map rotations are much less restricted than they were back when the game was active. The bad part is that the game isn't very active. Just enough activity to justify a few hundred megs for the installation, but not enough to play online on a regular basis (weekends see the most activity, from about 10PM EST onward).

Just in case there are any old players lurking around, copy-paste these lines into your master.cs file (C:\Dynamix\Starsiege\scripts), overwriting the original servers.

$Inet::Master1 = "IP:74.211.83.179:29000"; // eye's Master

$Inet::Master2 = "IP:64.230.86.49:29000"; //Dusters

$Inet::Master3 = "IP:192.168.0.168:29000";

IIRC, there are also community solutions for multiplayer in Mechwarrior 2, 3, and 4, but sadly I don't know where to find any of them offhand. I gave up trying on MW4 when I found out it required port forwarding (which I can't do because I have a modem that won't allow it).

Just letting everyone know that, while the genre hasn't had any significant releases in a long time, there is still a following for the games we've already got. Also, this is worth checking out. I'd have linked their homepage, but it seems that they've gone over bandwidth limits again.