Lets allow genetic engineering for humans

stars2heaven

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first i would try to learn what it really is ment to be human before modifying it on a grand scale when i dont even have a basic idea

of what is down below. one must trust the universe.

the universe in you has to become alive.

first i would try to learn what it really is ment to be human before modifying it on a grand scale when i dont even have a basic idea

of what is down below. one must trust the universe.

the universe in you has to become alive.

I like that... It makes sense.

We currently debate what is beyond our capacity as of current to understand. I know many posters have declared that science fiction should not be a part of this topic, but as it yet stands this topic is on the border between reality and science fiction! As of yet, we don't have the capacity to use genetic engineering (We can scientifically based on my knowledge). We know the process, but we don't have the means to genetically engineer anyone as of yet. I wonder though, and I ask if anyone knows, what pieces of legislation (In any country that legislates) have been made on the standpoint of 'this particular form of engineering'. I know for a fact that Stem-Cell Research is taking a revolutionary turn upwards in being legally introduced. I don't see much from altering the DNA of the unborn, but I do see something on altering the living. Here is an example of such measures to push Genetic Engineering at it's earliest phase.... Stem-Cell Research.

I'll assume we're all familiar with the 1960's orginal Star Trek television series. Just in case someone missed it, here's the wiki link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_(TV_series)

Anyway, science fiction can indeed become science fact. Captain Kirk's nifty little flip-open communicator? Take a look at your cell phone. Look familiar? Back in the 60's telephones were huge clunky cellulose things with bells and rotary dials. The tricorders? A few years back Purdue made a mass spectrometer the size of a laptop. Clones and test tube babies are old news now, but 40 years ago they were pure science fantasy to most people.

If religious and politcal agendas can be put aside real advances might be made in human genetics. My only concern would be the morality of it and the welfare of people in the long run. Just because it CAN be accomplished by science doesn't always mean it should be done, IMO.

*hides*

I'll assume we're all familiar with the 1960's orginal Star Trek television series. Just in case someone missed it, here's the wiki link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_(TV_series)

Anyway, science fiction can indeed become science fact. Captain Kirk's nifty little flip-open communicator? Take a look at your cell phone. Look familiar? Back in the 60's telephones were huge clunky cellulose things with bells and rotary dials. The tricorders? A few years back Purdue made a mass spectrometer the size of a laptop. Clones and test tube babies are old news now, but 40 years ago they were pure science fantasy to most people.

If religious and politcal agendas can be put aside real advances might be made in human genetics. My only concern would be the morality of it and the welfare of people in the long run. Just because it CAN be accomplished by science doesn't always mean it should be done, IMO.

*hides*

Haha, off topic...

New Transporter Technology!!!

On Topic:

It's usually political agendas that further science in many cases. Perhaps not in the subject of Genetic Engineering yet, but many other things. I can see the government (United States) getting into this practice to further military ambition. They do have quite the track record with picking up ideas to further military technology.

BTW, your opinion just got coined as a term in this thread. I will now call upon the 'Star Trek' Law, whenever someone says that something is impossible here-on out.

*off topic*

The referenced transporter technology could be applied to communications right now. Highspeed Internet? Who needs it? I want FTL Internet!

*on topic*

I can see furture governments taking advances in human gentics for military applications.

I'm going to build a Halo Master Chief/Warhammer Space Marine, taking hints and bits from animals.

*infrared vision (the pit organ of rattlesnakes)

*subcutaneous body armor (the dermal ossicles/plates of armadillos)

*regeneration of lost limbs (crustaceans and some amphibians)

*internal compass (migratory birds)

*four chambered stomach to maximize food intake (cows)

*lung and heart size disproportionate to body size for increased endurance (hyenas)

*hibernation in case he gets critically wounded (bears)

*and I'm not sure but I THINK some worms have multiple hearts, and that would be handy too.

Okay I'm done playing with my new super trooper. That's stuff I came up with off the top of my head. The attributes are already found in nature and it might not be that big of a stretch to get them on humans in some wacky future we can't fathom. (Trandoshan's Star Trek Law.)

Now to the moral dilema, what do I do with him when he's not on the battle field? I'll assume he thinks like a modern human. How would he feel about his altered condition? Could he be trusted in 'normal society'? What would he look like and how would he feel about THAT? Would he have a soul/spirit /whatever? And so on...

I'm just playing around but those are questions future generations of scientists, politicians and religious leaders will have to ask themselves (and one another) if my super trooper's day ever comes.

*off topic again*

BTW, your opinion just got coined as a term in this thread. I will now call upon the 'Star Trek' Law, whenever someone says that something is impossible here-on out.

Hey! I contributed something. Cool.

Trandoshan's Star Trek Law. It actually sounds like a real scientific theory.

GAH!!! *hides*

Now to the moral dilema, what do I do with him when he's not on the battle field? I'll assume he thinks like a modern human. How would he feel about his altered condition? Could he be trusted in 'normal society'? What would he look like and how would he feel about THAT? Would he have a soul/spirit /whatever? And so on...

I'm just playing around but those are questions future generations of scientists, politicians and religious leaders will have to ask themselves (and one another) if my super trooper's day ever comes.

Bah, I've seen that point kill debates on other forum's I have read. Makes for a good read, or fan-fiction. The thing is, from birth to death, these soldiers would be working in the military. There would be too much publicity, and much more protest when it came to letting them live amongst their human brethren. Still, I would kill to see a *gasp* REAL LIFE ARGONIAN!!!! *giggles*

I suppose though, in reality, they would have to have all of the civil rights movements the African-Americans did in order to gain the freedoms that real humans would. Now that, that would make my life interesting. I would also say that humanists would probably lobby to make the Amero-supersoldier human-like.

It's no fun playing god, when you have several gods with lots of cash telling you what to do...

Bah, I've seen that point kill debates on other forum's I have read. Makes for a good read, or fan-fiction. The thing is, from birth to death, these soldiers would be working in the military. There would be too much publicity, and much more protest when it came to letting them live amongst their human brethren. Still, I would kill to see a *gasp* REAL LIFE ARGONIAN!!!! *giggles*

I suppose though, in reality, they would have to have all of the civil rights movements the African-Americans did in order to gain the freedoms that real humans would. Now that, that would make my life interesting. I would also say that humanists would probably lobby to make the Amero-supersoldier human-like.

It's no fun playing god, when you have several gods with lots of cash telling you what to do...

I agree with your sentiment. Though compelling, a morality play would be a thread killer so let's avoid it. ;) Sorry for bringing it to the podium.

A literary reference to what modern human reactions to the super soldier MIGHT be is Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein'. In the eyes of this Modern Prometheus (gotta love the book's allusion to that) he would be 'man'. To those around him was anything BUT human. Tormented by his condition, betrayed by the man he called 'father' and eventually hunted like a beast, he showed that he truly was subject to the human condition. But for those who have read the book, they know this 7' tall homunculus was a tortured soul. It is sad to say that a super soldier dropped into our midst today might suffer the same fate.

In the context of the far future the super soldier might not be an oddity but part of the accepted norm. He might be one of many preternatural beings. Fully functional androids on broadcast power with their own AIs could mingle with extraterrestrial tourists visiting Earth on holiday. In a world like that, would anyone even notice 'Prometheus'?

Putting the fantasy aside, I still wonder if the pros outway the cons for tinkering with what makes us US. Limitations would need to be set for how the science would be used. But the limitations shouldn't stall the research. The stem cell quandry is a prime example. Good science bogged down by bad policies coming from both sides. One extreme says 'No way. Not ever'. The other extreme says 'Go for it. No limitations.' The answer and the key to progess (while preserving the sanctity of man) rests in the middle. I don't see how things will be different for genetically engineered humans.

If the science is allowed progress with reason I will change my stance but for now I'm against genetic engineering.

Putting the fantasy aside, I still wonder if the pros outway the cons for tinkering with what makes us US.

You know, I wonder if our ability to progress, and even alter ourselves is what makes us US. Human way of thinking is so vastly superior to anything else on our planet, that we have nothing else to compare our thinking to. What I mean to say is,

In the context of the far future the super soldier might not be an oddity but part of the accepted norm.

AH! exactly! It can't be put a better way. Like you have said before Kendo Tri-corders, Transporters, and Interracial-Sex were very VERY controversial back in the age of star-trek (Interracial as in Uhura and Kirk kissing in one episode, not sex but damn well near it back then). What made us US back then was our good old country morals. Now it is our ability advance, and explore new concepts. Tomorrow? Who knows. Tomorrow we may completely accept the fact. Tomorrow we may welcome Genetic Engineering as the greatest achievement of human kind, and use it freely. We may not be human tomorrow. Then again, we can not predict Tomorrow.

We have a sparkling future ahead of us, its dazzling light obscures the predictions of tomorrow.

If the science is allowed progress with reason I will change my stance but for now I'm against genetic engineering.

Good! I'm so for Genetic Engineering I could cry. I guess we have... what do you call it? A debate? :thumbsup: