Internet Explorer VS Mozilla Fire Fix

Ranokoa

I really only use the internet mostly for the nexus, and I use Internet Explorer. Way back when I used to use Mozilla when my computer was full of viruses and didn't quite like how it loaded pages. IT was all slow and laggy and after a while annoyed me and i caved to using IE again. It was much better cept for the fact I got ANOTHER virus which made my internet completely useless.

Recently I saw an awesome skin for Mozilla that almost makes me want to use fire fox... I was wondering since I never really cared too much about it to find out over hours of use the pro's and con's of mozilla vs IE when using it specifically on the nexus family sites. Idc how it works with video sites, myspace, none of that. Tell me your experiences either with IE or Mozilla when on the nexus and what you like and disalike about both!

Let the comparison BEGIN!

Be well, sleep well, fight well, live long.

~Ranokoa

Firefox, and sometimes Opera are mainly what I use on Nexus. Btw, don't you think that this might be more appropriately-placed if it were in the Lounge? I mean, it's not so much a survey as it is a question for the staff...

Firefox. I find it faster, and all the plug-ins available allow me to customize it to my tastes (vs. using whatever M$ thinks is best).

Edit: This site having these emoticons might also be a clue as to preferences by staff here...

:bomb_ie:

:iluvff:

:D

Well I use Firefox for my browsing and downloading. As an IT pro, I find it superior to IE as it is more responsive and I can keep it lean and mean....what I don't use isn't there. I have a preferred skin that is easy on my eyes, and only use a few add on's, Download them all, a skype extension, a couple of video players integrated into firefox. I have used it for several years and find it quite superior to IE for user friendliness and ease of use.

I keep 6 or 7 browsers installed on my computer, but use firefox almost exclusively.

IE and Firefox will both work very well for the Nexus sites. In terms of who is faster or slower for the Nexus, I cannot tell since my connection to the Internet is very fast.

I stay away from using IE at home and in the workplace mainly because it let's too many critters sneak into your system without so much as a hint or warning. For example, I can write a few lines of VBScript that will pull whatever I want from the registry and then instantiate an invisible instance of Internet Explorer and access my site passing whatever I find in the registry to my server as URL parameters and most computers (even with hardware and software firewalls) will never catch it because they allow IE wholesale access to the Internet. I have Firefox installed at work on all 300 computers using NoScript and Ad Block Plus to keep infected sites from slipping past even Firefox.

I tried using Opera and really tried to like it but the cache utility kept getting in the way and causing problems with dynamic sites such as the Nexus so I don't use it anymore.

I tried Google Chrome but it simply is not quite there as a browser just yet (IMO).

LHammonds

PS - Buddah's red Firefox skin is U.G.L.Y. in case I haven't mentioned that before.

Been using Firefox for a little over a year now. My only complaint is that you have to export bookmarks to be able to import them again after reinstalling Firefox, as opposed to just making a backup of the "favorites" folder and copying that. But, as that complaint is something that most would never have to worry about, it probably doesn't apply to your situation.

I have not yet experienced any site which did not work with firefox, eventually got used to the toolbar arrangements (recent versions of IE are worse), and have made good use of some of the plugins that can be installed within firefox to make life easier. The native spellcheck feature when writing text on webpages also helps from time to time.

I too must throw in with Firefox. I've been using it for quite a few years now and find it essential, especially with all the addons and innovations that other browsers invariably strive to imitate.

I always use and recommend my favorite addons:

no-script, ad-block plus, IE Tab, Tab Mix Plus, and Lazarus Form Recovery.

And the Headers and toolbars are customizable, it's the first thing I do when I make a new install. I like my address bar all the way to the top, next to the File Menu.

My only complaint is that you have to export bookmarks to be able to import them again after reinstalling Firefox, as opposed to just making a backup of the "favorites" folder and copying that.
Eh...your Firefox bookmarks are kept in a single HTML file you can backup manually and place onto another machine if you'd like to keep using the same bookmarks.

IIRC, they are stored in a path similar to this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\abc123.default\Bookmarks.html

Don't get me started with Explorer 8, nothing but lock ups and crashes is all it is, but still use it funny enough, i use firefox the most. Other then Google Chrome lol.