The Master Of Zooz

Malchik

Kalmer as usual has been listening to everything, although nobody has noticed due to his apparently blank expression. What Gnaag thinks about 'demands' is unfounded, as Kalmer only wishes to give the young Niyobian a sense of responsability and belonging.

He smiles wryly. "So, young Gnaag, I see you have chosen T'Skar to be your mentor. I hope you did not think back there that I was imposing obligations upon you! And Ara, I do hope you were not mocking the boy when you made that comment about caretaker of animals? I feel we are all here for a reason, though as yet we know not what it is. Our duty is clear, but the reasons why we have been chosen for it is yet to be discovered, and I feel that the sooner young Gnaag finds his vocation, the sooner we will all find out what he is really made of. I sense a worthiness in him that will in time become apparent. This is also true for all of us, even me. Most of us know our own abilities, but I think none of us can imagine their importance in this quest."

Kalmer dismounts and turns to Baba. "I say we keep as low a profile as possible. Nothing too upmarket, but neither do we need the prying curiosity and gossip of the poor quarter. Perhaps a little further on we may find a mediocre lodging."

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mediocre sounds like all there is at best here," T'skar interjects, "but I guess one requirement we do have is that it has stables for our mounts, unless we want to carry everything ourselves in the morning, as they will not be around if we let them wander on their own during the night. It would not hurt to check in to something now, stow some of our belongings, and then still have time to ask a few questions and do some 'checking' of our new environment. Also I would like to get out of these travel clothes."

Turning to their teamster, she asks "You said something about the rumor of another of Zooz's swords? What can you tell us of it?"

After hearing the reply, she drops in beside Gnaag and whispers "So, you think you have what it takes to be a thief do you? Baba Bethram told me he had suggested you could learn from one of us, and that you had chosen me. I am flattered, and there may be some I can teach you, we will work on it. For now, it might not hurt to look after the horses with Kalmer. I know he comes across as a little arrogant, but mostly that will be because he has not spent much time with people, and he will be able to teach you some things that I can't. Also, in working with the horse nature you will learn something of human nature, and every successful thief knows who he is robbing by studying them before they strike. It is too late to notice after the guard has been called. And I think that nag of his will teach you to have quick reflexes, unless I miss my guess." She smiles at him, and ends with, "Meat me in my room after supper, and I will try to have some things for you to practice on." She adjusts her pack and says to the rest of the group "Continue up the street, and find something suitable, and I will catch up with you."

Having thus said, she turns into the clothing store. She approaches the counter, and asks the sales person, when they are not busy, if they have any sandals and/or needles for sale.

The camel driver says "All I know is there is a sword somewhere in the Honeycome but I would never dream of going there in case I couldn't find my way out."

As T'skar enters the clothing store a sharp faced woman says. "I don't like your kind. Get out."

Ara sheepishly nodded her thanks to Baba. She tried to calm down. It was ok. Not her fault. But she still felt guilty and inadept.

What should she know with archery?

Of course you should have known! You fight for a living.

No, I use my throwing knifes for ranged weapons! I'm a scout! I don't fight!

She argued back and forth with herself in embarassment until Kalmer broke her away from her mindset.

And Ara, I do hope you were not mocking the boy when you made that comment about caretaker of animals?

Ara turned to Kalmer. "The only thing I was mocking was your idea. We are all here for a reason." As she quoted Kalmer she lifted her head and laughed melodically. "I doubt the Gnaag was bestowed on this world to clean your horse Kalmer. I guess he'll learn true enlightment another day."

Still chuckling Ara listened as the camel driver talked about the Honeycomb. Suddenly the camel driver motioned at her bow. She thought in concentration for a moment

Oh... I wonder if T'skar or Mandrake could make it invisble. T'skar certainly made Aena completely hidden. I wonder if he could do the same with my bow?

She turned to see Mandrake was busy so she looked around T'skar. Seeing her duck around into the clothing shop, she heard a angry woman's voice. Leaving her bow on her camel, she followed T'skar around into the store. An angry shop owner was yelling at her. Had she stolen something.

Ara walked up.

"Excuse my intrusion here but is there a problem?" The pearl hilt of Ara's katana unknowningly peaked into view underneath the white robe she was wearing.

"Strangely everything seems to be said just in time..." Tiax whispers. "Most convenient.."

Tiax turnes towards Mandrake as he walked away from Baba after concealing his sword.

"You did fine Mandrake, you only needed to conceal it. I doubt Baba would be gratfull if he had to search for his own sword :) . The sword is only visable for those who know where to look and that it is a sword.."

<Thoughts>

"Perhaps I should do some enchanting.. My staff would be in better hands if it was lost in time."

</Thoughts>

Tiax dismounted and took some time to prepare, even then he waited for several moments. Walked out of the fiew of everyone there was.

<Thoughts>

"Even T'Skar would not follow me this time."

</Thoughts>

After finishing the enchantment his staff was nowhere to be found (literly ;) ). He started to walk besides his camel in await of futher events.

OOC> The camels do not go into Dohoti but take the next group of travellers back to Papred next day. There is a camel stable beside the south gate. They look after horses too.

Inside the shop the woman said. "I don't deal with tourists. Now both of you get out. Coming here, trying to buy property, forcing up prices for the locals. I have select list of customers and you are not and never will be on it."

She ignores the implied threat from the sword and comes round from behind the counter shooing you both out.

"Go. Go! Try somewhere else."

Tiax having taken a side street suddenly finds himself standing at the edge of a chasm several hundred feet deep. There is no railing or guard. As he looks he sees the chasm is in fact a part of a street. Across from him, stretching down eight storeys, rooms have been hollowed out of the impacted sand. They have only three walls, the street side being missing completely, and are accessible only by vertiginous vertical ladders. The rooms are all inhabited and people are doing eveything human beings do in one or other of them. As he stares out he sees there are no other buildings above ground other than those in the street they arrived. This is the Honeycomb. And he can see that the streets it comprises are at all different depths. It is like a three dimensional maze. Some rooms are clearly shops, eating houses and very probably lodgings.

It then occurs to him, had he walked this route at night, he might very well by now by a very dead splatter of blood and organs on the floor of the chasm. He should warn the others.

Gnaag didn't say anything to T'skar. He was impressed by her. When she told him to care for horses with Kalmer, he took it as offence a bit and looked to other side. He wasn't born to become a servant. But she seemed convincing. He swallowed all his thoughts and went to Kalmer.

"Hi, I think horses should be treated by us. Do you know what to do?"

Gnaag was trying to put the saddle of his camel down, when he heard the cry of some young boy going towards him. He was shouting at Gnaag by extra high voice. After a few minutes of shouting Gnaag realized that little boy was responsible for horses. So he loose hands and let him do his work.

"So what now. I think we should wait until anyone able to find lodgings for us."

T’skar bows apologetically to the woman as she turns to leave. In a conversational tone to Ara she says, “That really is to bad, I guess we will have to inform your cousin that he was wrong in hearing that Dohoti was a friendly place, full of kind people. I think we should advise him to take his trade elsewhere. It is too bad though, it being such good quality, Golconarian you know, at such a low price, nearly 10% of cost. Ah well, some people would pass up the opportunity of a lifetime just for pride’s sake.” She heads for the door.

The woman in the shop is totally unimpressed. Xenophobia in Dohoti would appear to extend just as much to neighbouring cities!

Meanwhile the boy who looks after the camels smiles at gnaag and gives him a friendly wave. "Hi, I'm Chin. Not from Dohoti so I stay out here except when I need food. You want to come and look at the camels I'll show you around. Just don't ask me what goes on in there." He gestures with his head towards the walls. "If you're busy, never mind. I'm always here anyway."

(These are thoughts.)

Mmmmmmmmm :(

A curve ball so early in our quest......................

Not a problem, just a new solution is needed.

Who................................................................

Baba turns to Mandrake, "Thanks, that’s a neat trick you’ve learnt there."

To the group he then says,

“Let’s split up into three groups, find three sets of lodgings and the meet later, say 15h30, along the main road halfway between the two gates”.

“A tavern or coffee shoppe, would do if they have tables outside so we can see the street.”

Archived