Hi - I'm new and I'm just feeling my way around!

Borderboy

Simple back up

Back up (copy it somewhere else) the entire data folder

The save games are located in a wacky place - just like all Gambryo engine games. :pinch:

for win 7 it will be C:\Users\your user name\my documents\my games\Oblivion\saves

Again, just copy it somewhere else - The Oblivion.ini file is here also - it is in the \oblivion folder that contains the \saves - be sure to copy it as well - especially if you have made any changes to it.

As for a way to sell entire stacks, or control the amount of an item you are buying or selling - I use The mod Toggleable Quantity Prompt - Updated ( often abbreviated to TQP)

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/12859/?

I found the Oblivion.ini file just after my lengthy posting!

Trouble is with Windows 7, (don't remember with XP), when you are listing files and folders in Windows Explorer it doesn't always list the file types, e.g. .jpg, .tiff, or .ini. You have to go to the trouble of right-clicking and looking at the Properties.

So - as regards the uninstall, what do I do about the Shivering Isles content? Does the first disk do all the work?

Referring to your article too, on the section on Patching, are you saying ignore any instructions that may come up when reinstalling for the 2nd disk? If so, at what point do I insert the 2nd disk?

I am using the 5th Anniversary Edition which I suppose supersedes even the GOTY Edition - any comments on that?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi bben46,

I'm cooking on gas!

I have actually succeeded in uninstalling, reinstalling and placing my original saved games etc. and its seems to be running hunk dory!

I'm off out tonight to celebrate!

Thanks for your help - so far!

Can I now call on you again?

Now I've gotten thus far, can you take me the extra mile and tell me what I have to do next regarding being able to sell my items one at time?

Can you step me through what I have to do, what I have to install, where I put it and how I run it to get it to work?

I'm so pleased I am actually learning something new!

To change the default Windows Explorer settings to show the file extensions (at least this is how in Vista ... I think Win 7 should be the same or similar) click on the Organize button top left corner of the Windows Explorer window and then click Folder and Search Options from the dropdown menu. In the Folder Options dialogue window that opens click on the View tab. In Advanced Settings scroll down to find the option "Hide extensions for known file types" and click to turn off the tick mark (it will have a tick mark in the box by default). Click the Apply button and then OK to close the dialogue. All files should now display the file extensions.

Some tips for using Windows Explorer ... I like to have more than one Windows Explorer window open at the same time when I'm doing things like copy/paste (I find drag and drop leads to missed drop targets and files and folders misplaced more often than copy/paste). With one window open at my source (say an extracted download) and the other window open to my destination all I need to do for a manual mod install is right click the source folder or file and select Copy from the right click menu and then open the destination Explorer window and right click on the destination and select Paste from the right click menu.

The rule of thumb for copy/paste is if you are copying a folder (lets say Data) you paste into one level higher (so Data would be pasted into the Oblivion folder ... i.e. Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion). If you do it right you'll always get a prompt saying there is already a folder named Data ... OK to overwrite (and always answer yes, as all that will happen is the contents of the folders will get merged). You can run into some exceptions when you are first starting to add mods as you won't have a meshes folder in Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data until after you've installed your first mod that includes meshes for example, but after you get your first few mods installed that prompt says you're on track and no prompt says you've messed up (this is with folders). For copy/pasting individual files you paste into the folder of the same name as the source file came from (or where the install instructions says it goes ... so for example if you copied JoesCoolMod.esp from an extracted download you would paste into Oblivion\Data per it's mod install instructions). More complicated to describe than to actually do.

If you are considering the Toggleable Quantity Prompt - Updated mod that Bben46 suggested then you'll need Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) and OBSE will make a good copy/paste tutorial ... let me know if you are interested.

In Vista (so I believe it should be the same or similar in Win 7) you can turn off the default automatic defrag by opening the Disk Defragmenter system applet. Click the Windows Start button then select All Programs. Scroll down to Accessories and click to open and then System Tools. In System Tools you'll see Disk Defragmenter. You'll get a UAC prompt ... click Continue and then the Disk Defragmenter window will open. It will take some time "Analyzing disks" but you'll see right above that there's a tick box "Run on a schedule (recommended)" and when it's ticked you have the option to click on two buttons (Modify schedule and Select volumes). You can either modify the schedule to a time that your laptop is likely to be on but you aren't likely to be playing Oblivion or deselect Run on a schedule (or live with Microsoft determining what it wants to do with your hardware at it's convenience).

Edited by Striker879

Hi Striker879,

Thanks for the info. I have applied the file extension bit with Windows Explorer - it is very similar to Vista!

I have managed to uninstall and reinstall Oblivion now and also the second disk containing the DLC, (Shivering Isles and Knights of The Nine).

I have managed to retain my saved games and they load up apparently OK, although I haven't set about any serious play yet! At least I have managed to follow bbne46's instructions although at first it was a little confusing because the text covered Windows XP too which seems to be an entirely different animal.

Its a crying shame that MS have pulled out of supporting this fantastic operating system - it was so simple, even I could manage my way around it!

My prime reasons for wanting to be able to get into the game was because of the potential trouble that I will inevitably face with the Abomb Bug. Having been hit with it when playing the game on PS3 and not being able to do anything about it, it left me feeling quite angry and disappointed, particularly at the level of support for console platforms and in particular PS3, by Bethesda.

My secondary reason came up as I was playing through the initial levels of the PC version. I reasoned that there must be a better way of selling of items in my inventory one at a time to achieve single transactions and thus enabling me to raise my Mercantile Skill more efficiently.

So this mod, the Toggleable Quantity Prompt, seems a good start to get me into downloading mods and applying them.

I have managed to download the mod and I have saved it to a USB flash drive. there is actually a choice of download methods which includes a manual method which I have used as I am unsure of how to use OBSE or OBMM or the other myriad of tools.

I have used WinRAR to decompress it. The files still reside on the FD waiting for the next step and instructions as to what I have to do next.

If you are don't mind spending a little time coaching me through and explaining the ins and outs, advantages and disadvantages and methods that would be fantastic - I would really appreciate it and look forward to it.

What are your views on the possibilities of messing up your computer by modding? One contributor to this thread has strongly advised against it - it is scary! Comments like his, do make you uncertain as to whether it is worth it at the end of the day. After all I don't just use my computer to play Oblivion on, it is used for far more important things too!

I look forward to your reply.

OBSE and OBMM are completely different things - and they work together so no reason to not have both.

Re keyboard - there are 102 keys on a standard keyboard ( mine has another dozen or so.) Then, using the fn, ctrl and alt keys you multiply the number of possible keys up to several hundred. AND, using mods or add on programs, any of them can be redefined to do something in the game. You are not limited to just the keys in the vanilla game - and not limited to just those functions allowed by the vanilla game - Using a pad you lose all of that extra functionality. Then the mouse is not just a direct replacement for a joystick - it has a bunch of buttons also - the number will vary by mouse. most have at least 3 plus a wheel. - mine has 7. And you can teach your mouse tricks a pad never dreamed of. I use one of the side buttons on my mouse to be another alt key for changing the function of other keys on the fly. Then, the mouse is a much more accurate pointing device. This is why you don't see multi player games with console players against PC players - the console players will loose nearly every time.

Here is a link to an explanation - http://www.rahulsood.com/2010/07/console-gamers-get-killed-against-pc.html

You will get used to it if you keep using it. But if you don't need or want this extra functionality - there is no reason not to use your pad - there are mods that make it fully compatible.

Hi bben46,

Since reading your interesting contribution I have done an initial search on sites like Amazon and Ebay for a gaming mouse. As expected, there are loads of them!

Some are well out of my price range, although I do need a new mouse anyway so I am tempted to spend a little more. There seems to be several with adjustable DPI up to 3200 and around seven different buttons. They don't seem to cost the earth either with some of them coming in at around £10 to £15. I certainly could not justify spending the kind of money expected for some of the Logitech range.

Do you have any recommendations? What should I be looking for? Are these easy to programme?

I'm a Logitech guy myself ... my best mouse advice is go to a store that has plenty of display models and see how each feels (size, weight, button placement etc). You can still buy your best choice where you get your best price, but with mice and keyboards there's no substitute for hands on.

If you read through the mod description for Toggleable Quantity Prompt you'll see it requires OBSE version 17 or greater (top of section III). The latest version of OBSE now stands at version 21 and is backward compatible with earlier versions. The first step is getting OBSE installed and working.

I recommend downloading to a temporary folder on your hard drive. You can move that to your USB stick later if you want to keep the hard drive usage down. I'm on a desktop machine that has tons of drive space but I know that laptops can be limiting in that regard. Key thing is creating that folder in a spot you can find again easily ... I make subfolders for each mod in the Oblivion_Downloads folder I have created (so in the case of OBSE I have a H:\Oblivion_Downloads\OBSE\Version21 folder ... I have all OBSE versions since version 19 downloaded). I also recommend using the "download manually" link or click on the name of the download (in the case of OBSE version 21 click on the words "OBSE 0021" right under MAIN FILES ... either method has the same result).

The "Download with Manager" button is disabled for OBSE but you will find it enabled on many Oblivion mods. That button is for use with the new Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) and when NMM was first released that button was turned on by default for all mods. Just seeing that button doesn't mean NMM will actually work with that particular mod ... reading through the mod install instructions and the mod comments is the best way to find out. In any case OBSE needs to be installed manually.

Once you have OBSE version 21 downloaded and extracted (it's a ZIP so will extract fine with even the Win 7 default utility) you will find seven files and two new folders (src and Data) when you check it out in Windows Explorer. The install instructions are in obse_readme.txt ... I'll give a more detailed step by step here. I prefer to give more detail than many people require, I find it saves misunderstandings.

Open a second Windows Explorer window and navigate until you have your Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion folder available as a right mouse click target (so that you can right click on Oblivion not so that you can see it's contents). Switch back to your extracted download window and single left mouse click on obse_1_2_416.dll. Next, while holding down your keyboard's CTRL key single left click on obse_editor_1_2.dll and then obse_loader.exe (all three file names should now be highlighted). Now right mouse click on any of the highlighted file names and select Copy from the right click menu. Switch to your Explorer window open to your Oblivion folder, right mouse click on Oblivion and select Paste from the right click menu.

Next, back in your extracted download window, right click on the folder Data and select Copy (I'm doing this separate to show a point ... yes you could have done this right along with the individual files). In the Explorer window open to your Oblivion folder right click on Oblivion and select Paste. You'll get a Windows prompt saying that there is already a folder named Data ... click on Yes to All (it's safe because all Windows will do is merge the contents of the copied Data with the existing Data in your Oblivion folder). The "src" folder in your extracted download isn't required. It's the source code for OBSE and is only useful to programmers wishing to make contributions to OBSE or to create OBSE plugins.

If you look in your Oblivion\Data folder now you will see that you now have a new OBSE folder and it contains a file obse.ini (you don't need to mess with obse.ini and as far as I can tell it's not used for much by OBSE yet, but OBSE version 21 requires it to run). In the future you may be required to create a new subfolder in the OBSE folder when you want to install an OBSE plugin. Just mentioning it now while we have that folder in your sights ... no action need today.

Using the disk version of OBSE requires a small change to how you start the game. You can go one of two ways ... create a new desktop shortcut that points to obse_loader.exe or edit your existing desktop shortcut. The first method will require you keeping it straight which shortcut is which, the second method makes getting access to the vanilla game launcher Data Files to activate/deactivate mods a bit more obtuse. I personally use method two (but many would consider me an obtuse kinda' guy).

To edit your existing desktop shortcut just right click on it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab you'll see a field named Target. Single left click anywhere in the highlighted path shown in the Target field to remove the highlight and then use your keyboard's arrow keys to move your cursor to the start of the words OblivionLauncher.exe (your whole path shown in the Target field should be "C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\OblivionLauncher.exe" including the quote marks). Using the keyboard Delete key delete the OblivionLauncher part and then type in obse_loader (so now the edited path should be "C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\obse_loader.exe" including the quote marks). Click on the Apply button (lower right) and then OK to close the dialogue.

Now when you start the game from your edited desktop shortcut you'll see two small black windows open and close in quick succession and then you'll be brought directly to the game's main menu (previously you would have been presented with the vanilla launcher and clicked Play). Because the desktop shortcut is different than the Windows Start button shortcut you can use the Start button shortcut to bring up the vanilla game launcher when you need to activate or deactivate mods (using the Data Files option on the vanilla launcher menu). Just remember to click the OK button in the Data Files dialogue after making your changes but then click Exit on the vanilla game launcher. Then go back to your desktop shortcut and start the game to check out your new mod (or confirm your deactivated mod is gone).

I don't use Toggleable Quantity Prompt myself but I can see it's a simple install. After you've extracted the ZIP you find three folders, 00 Documentation, 01 Main and omod conversion data (the "omod conversion data" folder is only used when installing using Oblivion Mod Manager). Open the 01 Main folder and you'll see two files, Toggleable Quantity Prompt.esp and TQP.ini ... both of those will be copied to your game's Data folder using the same copy/paste method as before. Just make sure your target window is open to show the Data folder in your games Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion folder (so that you can right click on Data to select Paste). When copy/pasting individual files you shouldn't ever get an "OK to overwrite" message from Windows ... if you do select No and check out to find why you would have two same named files that would also be ending up in the same target folder. If you truly do want to overwrite then and only then say Yes (Yes to All is dangerous when copy/pasting individual files). It's always a good habit to compare the contents of an extracted download with your current game's files and folders before any install.

Last step is to activate Toggleable Quantity Prompt.esp in the vanilla game launcher Data Files. When you click on Data Files a dialogue opens that shows a list of all your installed ESPs (all files with the ESP or ESM file extension found in Oblivion\Data). Single left click the box to the left of Toggleable Quantity Prompt.esp and you'll get a black X. Click OK and then click Exit (if you've followed my example above or if you've created a new desktop shortcut ... either way you won't start the game using the vanilla launcher anymore).

You'll need to refer to the documentation included in the 00 Documentation folder for how to customize TQP.ini if the default settings aren't to your liking (it looks like TQP - Readme.txt is the same as the mod description at first glance at least). Bben46 may be able to offer more advice there than I.

- Edit - I personally don't think it likely that installing mods would mess up your operating system (and if you look through his posts you'll see that meathead013 admits his is not a widely reported situation). Without the opportunity to sit at meathead013's computer and see what methods he has used it's difficult to say why he's found himself in that situation. I can say that in my time here it's not something I've run across (and I've been involved in some difficult to resolve situations ... not all get successfully resolved).

Edited by Striker879

Hi,

Thanks for all of this information! This must have taken you a long time to compile. I really appreciate this!

I am still having a few problems however.

I seem to have 3 pathways on my C: drive that are related to Oblivion.

1. C:Users\My Username\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves

There are 3 files also in the Oblivion folder:

The Saves folder contains my preserved saves which bbne46 instructed me to replace.

1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\Textures\Effects\

The Oblivion folder also contains:

The Data folder contains:

DLCShiveringIsles – Meshes.bsa

DLCShiveringIsles – Sounds.bsa

DLCShiveringIsles – Textures.bsa

DLCShiveringIsles – Voices.bsa

The Effects folder contains:

1. C:\Games\Oblivion\Data\

The Data folder contains:

Music (Folder)

Shaders (Folder)

Textures (Folder)

Video (Folder)

DLCShiveringIsles – Meshes.bsa

DLCShiveringIsles – Sounds.bsa

DLCShiveringIsles – Textures.bsa

DLCShiveringIsles – Voices.bsa

Oblivion – Meshes.bsa

Oblivion – Misc.bsa

Oblivion – Sounds.bsa

Oblivion – Textures - Compressed.bsa

Oblivion – Voices1.bsa

Oblivion – Voices2.bsa

I can give you the contents of Music, Shaders, Textures and Video if you want but maybe you have an idea already!

I have a feeling something isn’t quite right although I seem to be able to run the game OK at the moment.

I am struggling at the moment to follow your instructions because I don’t really know which directory I should be addressing. I don’t even know if there may be a problem with having all of these directories and maybe some of them shouldn’t be there at all!

What do you think?

Edited by Borderboy

Your C:\Users\My Username\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves is correct. Your saves will be in the Saves folder and in C:\Users\My Username\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion you should see a file named Oblivion.ini and a file named RendererInfo.txt (there may also be one or two more files there ... I have a number of other files but some of those are backups and text files I've created so it makes it difficult for me to be certain which are vanilla and which are mine).

I believe your C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\Textures\Effects\ is a leftover from your first installation that didn't get deleted during the uninstall phase of Bben46's wiki article (about half way down the Uninstall section, right after you're instructed to reboot). When you say "The Effects folder contains:" and then the next line is "1. C:\Games\Oblivion\Data\" you don't mean that the Effects folder contains that right?? That part makes no sense to me anyway, so I'll assume that you just didn't list any of the Effects folder contents (which is OK, I don't need them).

If that assumption is correct then the 1. C:\Games\Oblivion\Data\ section is where you now have the game installed. All of those files and folders seem to be correct (I don't have Shivering Isles installed myself, but when I compare what you have reported with the list given in Bben46's wiki article Revert to vanilla data in the Unmodified Oblivion data with Shivering Isles section it looks right.

What I'd like you to do, just to confirm that the C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\Textures\Effects\ path isn't being used by the game at all is rename the Oblivion part of it to OblivionOld (so that the whole thing would then be C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\OblivionOld\Data\Textures\Effects\). Start the game and take a run around to make sure everything is all right. If it is you can safely delete the entire Bethesda Softworks\OblivionOld\Data\Textures\Effects\ folder tree and contents

Looks to me like when you re-installed you didn't get a Bethesda Softworks part in your C:\Games\Oblivion\Data\ (in other words you have C:\Games\Oblivion\Data\ and not C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\) If everything is working correctly it makes absolutely no difference. You will need to drop the "Bethesda Softworks" part from my instructions for editing your desktop icon etc. though. If you want I can go back and edit that post so it's tailored to your situation ... let me know.

Edited by Striker879

Re: Mouse - those expensive gamer mice are overkill for Oblivion. You really don't need the super precision. That is for people playing online Player Vs Player games where it can give you a small competitive edge. I use a third party program for redefining both mouse and Keyboard buttons as needed - Autohotkey

I'll be backing out to defer to Striker as trying to listen to several people giving advice can be confusing - we may be doing the same things in slightly different ways to get the same result.