Hi - I'm new and I'm just feeling my way around!

Borderboy

Hi Striker879,

I have been away on holiday and not long been back.

I took my laptop with me but the weather was unusually kind and I didn't even switch it on!

The Yorkshire Dales are lovely at any time of year but particularly now when the leaves are turning - I can't wait for my next visit.

Everything Oblivion wise is now working smoothly thanks to you and your continuing help - I don't know what I would have done without you!

I have now finished the main quest and about to start the Shivering Isles plus a bit of tidying up here and there.

Remember me mentioning the DLC? Well Bethesda got back to me and have told me that because I also have the Anthology Edition, containing Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, (basically the GOTY Deluxe Edition), I also have the DLC for Oblivion by virtue of the access codes. Evidently the Deluxe Edition is not installed via the discs but by the Anthology Game Registration Code that is included with the set and is redeemable through the Steam Platform.

You have guessed it! They have gone way to far in front and left me floundering on the beach!

I am still very unsure of what I have to do and whether I can actually do it or anything. I have contacted them again about it, but perhaps you could offer me some input too.

Basically, I have told them that I have the 5th Anniversary Edition installed, (which is not Steam) and that I have played out about 90%. My concerns are that I don't know what effect or bearing it will have or if it is even possible to run the DLC in with the edition I have been using, especially given that I have also been messing and modifying using OBSE and OAF and playing around with default and non-default directories etc. I certainly don't want to install another disk and start the game over again for the sake of the DLC if I stand to lose what playing progress I have made with the 5th AE.

To be quite honest, I am about "Oblivioned out" now and although I can probably stand a few more hours going through the DLC, (if it can be installed and used OK with what I already have), I really do want a break from it and perhaps prepare to start another epic game, (I have several awaiting me!).

What do you reckon?

Just another a little query, I was going to cut and paste the guys comments and instructions in my post here but it doesn't seem to want to let me. How do I get around that one?

Edited by Borderboy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why you couldn't copy and paste (cut won't work) ... I do that all the time in my posts. Just highlight the source text (I left click and mouse drag myself but it can be done with the keyboard shift plus arrow keys from text files etc ... anything you can edit on your own machine). After highlighting the text just Ctrl + C and then click where you want it in your post and Ctrl + V.

I'm a non-Steam type guy myself, so I can't give you anything but not very educated guesses about what may or may not be possible regarding using non-Steam main game plus Steam DLCs. My guess is that if the DLCs are available as downloads separate from a big all-in-one game plus DLCs download you may be in luck, but I also have the opinion that Steam doesn't want to play nice with anybody else (as far as I'm concerned their only concern is world domination, where they are the only source of PC games on the entire planet ... not far from the present day truth, so ya, I'll be the last non-Steam guy on the planet and will be satisfied with playing Oblivion until my dying day).

That all said, if you decide to install the DLCs in whatever manner they give you, I would think that your saves should work provided you install all of the mods and utilities those saves require (such as OBSE ... saves fixed with OAF are just renamed saves with the problem causing part fixed and will work anywhere normal saves will work). Note that if you do switch over to using the Steam version of the main game you will need to follow the Steam instructions for installing OBSE for Steam (they're not the same as the disk version).

We've had rather wonderful weather here as well, but had a sea change a couple of days ago that looks like it will persist. The long range forecasts are for typical SW Ontario autumn weather over the next couple of weeks, cooler temps and carry an umbrella for the occasional shower. It was good while it lasted though.