Blood magic

AlienSlof

Third play through and I'm playing a blood mage called Black Boris with the heart of a snake. Much fun.

However, considering that the game goes to great lengths to call out people for using blood magic, going on about how bad, taboo and whatever else it is, my boy seems able to use it without much come-back so far. Even using it in front of a Templar doesn't get a reaction. I mean, they suspected Jowan of it before they even saw any proof! What gives? I was expecting people to call my guy out every time he used it, but no - not so much as a squeak.

He did get a grumping off Alistair for using blood magic to get into the Fade, but so far, that's it. I was hoping for new dialogue and my guy having to justify his use of it, even his companions commenting on it.

So how come blood magic is such a no-no, yet Mr Grey Warden can hurl it around like he's trying to bleed the population?

Just one of those little niggles.

Third play through and I'm playing a blood mage called Black Boris with the heart of a snake. Much fun.

However, considering that the game goes to great lengths to call out people for using blood magic, going on about how bad, taboo and whatever else it is, my boy seems able to use it without much come-back so far. Even using it in front of a Templar doesn't get a reaction. I mean, they suspected Jowan of it before they even saw any proof! What gives? I was expecting people to call my guy out every time he used it, but no - not so much as a squeak.

He did get a grumping off Alistair for using blood magic to get into the Fade, but so far, that's it. I was hoping for new dialogue and my guy having to justify his use of it, even his companions commenting on it.

So how come blood magic is such a no-no, yet Mr Grey Warden can hurl it around like he's trying to bleed the population?

Just one of those little niggles.

Yeah I know wynne even comments on morrigans advice and calls you out but dosnt say anything apparently about us using blood magic. It all left me wondering if these comments were cut, I'm also under the impression that there was supposed to have been an option for becoming an abomination as well.

I kinda felt that I was being forced to go against my characters nature to much, so I gave up on my blood mage. Maybe an expansion will fix this but I wont hold my breathe.

I read it's the kind of stuff that were planned, but removed after input from beta testers. Notably, it was originally meant to have restriction on what specializations you can give to your companions -- Wynne wouldn't become a Blood Mage, Alistair wouldn't become a Reaver, etc. -- but that was lifted.

To be fair, it probably would have been annoying to get things like "Wynne disapproves -10" every time you cast a spell.

It just seems a little odd to have people saying how bad so-and-so is for using blood magic and not so much as blinking when I do! :P

I know what you mean, and perhaps because I've played and modded Oblivion and Morrowind before it, I've become used to dealing with the consequences of my actions! Do something wrong in Oblivion without due care results in a guard on your back immediately thereafter!

The plot in DA is almost entirely dialogue-driven. While the engine does support action-driven events (there's a few examples of such scattered here and there, like those impersonators going nuts when you go in the back room, during that Genetivi quest; or that Tranquil that tells you not to pick a chest's lock, or more simply the spell combo codices), it's underused.

It's probably an issue of practicality. From what I understand, the main character is meant to be some sort of hero, and almost the entire main quest is arranged around this premise, like it or not. The same sort of thing existed in Baulder's Gate, BG2, NWN, NWN2 simply because there wasn't time to include both a good and a bad path for the storyline. Additionally, those people who like to play more evil characters would undoubtedly get annoyed by having their game come to an end because they were captured and put on the chopping block. Even in TES games, there is never a point where your crimes can't be solved by paying a fine or spending a short period of time in jail.

Just be glad that the game can be modded and that there are some who may be interested in adding those changes to the main quest.