GECK powerup a bad idea?

RoyBatterian

I've been trying to help Henukelkoch with his H&K base mod, I edited a bunch of the text for him as English is not his native language.

Editing it at all in the GECK will make it crash with a vanilla install, I didn't notice at first because I use NVAC in my game. His .esp works fine, if I even load it into GECK edit one word in a note and save it, it will then make errors.

Now if I disable powerup and do the same thing, it works fine? This is a very bizarre SNAFU.

So to get around that I tried to do the same edits in FNVEdit and it breaks the file too, which I kind of expected.

I've never had this issue with any other plugin I edited for myself, or my own simple mods.

Edited by RoyBatterian

It sounds like the .esp is giving you trouble, not using powerup. Powerup catches more errors than using the regular GECK. Some of these are non-critical and can be ignored, but It's not like they disappear if you go back to using the regular GECK.

Yeah I've kinda given up trying to help with it, there is a bunch of other things wrong with the esp and any attempt to fix them breaks the navmesh and some other stuff I don't even know...

I'm not sure how his setup can create this and not have an esp with errors in it... perhaps it is a region/language thing causing the problems... I think he is in germany?

by "catching more errors", Roy actually means "actually activates the error alert system". That it is deactivated in the NVGECK explains a lot of things about the construction of the vanilla game. The main use of this is actually having syntax error alerts when compiling scripts.

It actually break some .esp's. I've been trying to help Henukelkoch with the grammar and spelling in his latest work. Using powerup created a crap ton of errors in his esp if I just loaded and saved it... I was just trying to find out what I did that was screwing it up so bad. Turned out powerup was the problem, I have no idea what it's messing up... but whatever it is can't be good. I've already told him about of bad things he did just by looking at it in FNVEdit (not making copies of assets and editing those, rather than editing things directly) but I couldn't even attempt to help fix them when it made it so the file would no longer load in the vanilla game unless I installed NVSE and NVAC.

Are you using the original Powerup from PurplePigeon or the fork for GECK 1.4 by hlp? And has anybody experienced similar issues with Powerup when NOT using NVSE & NVAC? I'm working on my first mod for FNV after several years of FO3 and the lack of script compilation errors in FNV GECK is driving me nuts. When I heard about Powerup I was pretty stoked, but then right before I was going to DL it I saw this thread. I've held off using it for the time being, but if there aren't any details available about specific features or circumstances that result in corrupted files I'll make a backup of my esp and fool around with Powerup enough to make my own list of dos and don'ts.

I'm using the fork from hlp. I still use it for my own mods as I don't seem to have issues... I think H&K might have the german censored version installed which is causing the incompatibilities.