Race and Lore Request

Rayne72

Okay, instead of the dryad thing we could just make the tree have the really big branches that you see them walk across in the movie. What we could do for the weapons is we could make the character have to gather ingredients and bring it to some crafter, and you have to build up a reputation by doing a certain amount of side-quests to get certain items crafted (Ex. 1 Rep=Arrows, 2=dagger, 3=spear, 4=sword and shield, 5=bow). And we could do like what teerilsvin said and make the character do quests for their mounts, like for the banshee we could do what was done in the movie, while for the horses it could be bring a very special horse back to a stables person, and they give us a normal direhorse (which we will definitely need to make both the mounts Essential).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abit random and in more detail

Who can Speak Na'vi ?? it is a Language Fyi :)

cause at one point we will need Voice Actors if we want to get this much of detail :P

start learning to speak Na'vi :)

About the Tree am sure it could be made like a Building but .. able to .. cllim it and what not :P

cause at one point we will need Voice Actors if we want to get this much of detail :P

About the Tree am sure it could be made like a Building but .. able to .. cllim it and what not :P

heh, if only there was a language for this, i'd learn it but there is none, the one in the film are just bits, but if we want a naavi language we would need to recreate it, any lore artists around? poets? writers? ex-language teacher?

Well I have no idea how hard it would be to create the tree and landscape because i am not a modder myself but as for the voice acting part i could probably help out with i used to help make machinima in halo before my Xbox broke.

heh, if only there was a language for this, i'd learn it but there is none, the one in the film are just bits, but if we want a naavi language we would need to recreate it, any lore artists around? poets? writers? ex-language teacher?

Well there is quite a bit more then just bits a pieces i think there are like 1000 some words they created but like you said it is incomplete but we could probably do a lot with what they do have.

If you would like me to help i have A LOT of free time so i can try and learn as much of the language that has been made as i can and help with the voice acting

Also i like raidens idea with the rep store.

Screamingbee's MorphVOX Pro could help with the voices, it can be used to come up with any voices, so we can take one of the Na'vi's voices, and make a whole bunch of variants (very close to sound but a little different). What we could do for the tree is make it so you have to actually move across the branches to get to certain places, and if you fall off you fall into a pit that we could make look like the ground (which the real ground we should make a different zone, then you click on a certain natural climbing thing like a vine to get higher up), and while we're making the area around the tree, it could be like just like the real land, only we could put fog so we don't have to make a plane that goes to the horizon. We could also make custom bedrolls for on the trees, like in the movie right after *SPOILER*

Jake was rescued and he slept after the clan semi-accepted him

. Also, one main thing we'll have to do is make sure you can't fall through stuff like the edges of tree branches (as in like if you stand on the edge you don't fall through the wood, I've seen stuff like this happen way too often and it drives me insane).

Screamingbee's MorphVOX Pro could help with the voices, it can be used to come up with any voices, so we can take one of the Na'vi's voices, and make a whole bunch of variants (very close to sound but a little different). What we could do for the tree is make it so you have to actually move across the branches to get to certain places, and if you fall off you fall into a pit that we could make look like the ground (which the real ground we should make a different zone, then you click on a certain natural climbing thing like a vine to get higher up), and while we're making the area around the tree, it could be like just like the real land, only we could put fog so we don't have to make a plane that goes to the horizon. We could also make custom bedrolls for on the trees, like in the movie right after *SPOILER*

Jake was rescued and he slept after the clan semi-accepted him

. Also, one main thing we'll have to do is make sure you can't fall through stuff like the edges of tree branches (as in like if you stand on the edge you don't fall through the wood, I've seen stuff like this happen way too often and it drives me insane).

Even so there are limitations to taking this path I mean Using voices from the movie means we can only use what they said and to be honest they didn't say a whole lot. To make a quest line using their language would be hard if we only use voices from the movie. So i still like the idea of having a few voice actors..

Though i will admit talking right with the right accent will be hard and would take practice but it's do able.

Using Voices from the movie would be better for those things they say when you walk by the NPC's but not talk to them like when they talk to each other.

I was dipping around and There was an Linguist ( think thats the word) Which was Hired To make a Langague For the Na'vi

and i found this

its a interview i think

From Linky

WASHINGTON — In Middle Earth, they speak Elvish; on the Final Frontier, some speak Klingon. And now on the planet Pandora, they speak Na'Vi.

Pandora is the world created by film director James Cameron for his new movie "Avatar" which got stellar reviews after its world premiere in London last week.

The movie features dazzling special effects, blue aliens, and a brand new language called Na'Vi, which features clicks, glottal stops and unique ways of conjugating verbs, and was created by University of Southern California professor Paul Frommer.

Frommer stayed away from made-up languages like J.R.R. Tolkien's various Elvish dialects or Klingon -- crafted for "Star Trek" and which has since spawned an opera and a Klingon translation of Shakespeare's "Hamlet".

He also avoided taking a lead from Esperanto, arguably the grandfather of constructed languages -- tongues which have not been adopted as any country's native language.

"But I didn't start from absolute zero because Jim Cameron had come up with 30 or so words of his own," Frommer told AFP.

"In fact, the word 'Na'Vi' is something that he came up with," he said.

Frommer took the "tiny base" that Cameron had given him and from there developed a language, starting with the sound system.

Na'Vi does not have the "b", "g", "j" or "sh" sounds but does include "sounds which to Western ears are exotic," said Frommer, giving a demonstration of vocalizations called "ejectives", which can best be described as a dulled-down version of the clicks in South Africa's Xhosa language.

Na'Vi has in-fixes in verbs rather than suffixes or prefixes, Frommer said.

For instance, to change the tense of the word "taron", which means "to hunt" -- and incidentally is pronounced "gadon" -- into the past, future or imperfect tense, "rather than putting something at the beginning or end, you put something right after the 't', so various forms appear: 'tovaron, telaron, tusaron, tairon,'" Frommer said.

Frommer worked on the new language for several years and was present on the set to coach actors and come up with new words when needed.

At one point during filming, Cameron approached him and said one of the movie's characters was going to recount "an incident he had where he was bitten in his big, blue butt."

Na'Vi's 1,000-word vocabulary included "big" and "blue" but not "butt," Frommer said, but he came up for a word for the slang expression for backside.

"The word for 'butt' is tx and then i with a grave accent, m," Frommer told AFP, pronouncing the word afterwards, which as yet has no written English form.

Another good Na'Vi word is "skxawng", which means "moron", Frommer said. The "x" in skxawng represents an ejective.

Moron in Na'Vi sounds a little like "skoung," with a funny almost-glottal stop after the "sk."

Frommer pointed out that most of Avatar is in English, with only seven of the characters in the movie speaking Na'Vi.

While that will make life easier for viewers, it opens a whole new Pandora's Box when the film is distributed internationally.

"When you dub this into another language, you can't have two different voices, one speaking French and one speaking Na'Vi, for instance," Frommer said.

"The people who dub it into the various languages have to learn Na'Vi, so I have prepared training material which will be distributed to the international market."

The fuss over the new language was probably due to the movie it is linked to and its Oscar-winning director, Cameron, because crafting a new language for a film or work of fiction is nothing new.

Tolkien was making up his Elvish dialects back during World War I, and said that his "Lord of the Rings" series was inspired by the new language, not the language by the books.

A horror film called "Incubus", which was released in 1965 and starred William Shatner, who the following year debuted as Captain Kirk in "Star Trek", was made entirely in Esperanto, a language constructed by Polish eye doctor L.L. Zamenhof in the 19th century.

And then there's Klingon, the language spoken by the eponymous beings in the "Star Trek" movies.

Created by Marc Okrand, a linguist at the University of California, Berkeley, Klingon grew from a few words uttered at the beginning of the first "Star Trek" movie into a full-blown language with its own grammar and vocabulary.

There are Klingon translations of the Bible, Shakespeare and "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu.

There's a Klingon Language Institute, and Klingon can be selected as a language for Google searches, too.

Na'Vi is only in its infancy and hasn't got anywhere near to Klingon in terms of a following, but Frommer said he has had dozens of emails from people who want to learn the language.

"If Na'vi can go where Klingon has gone, that would be fantastic," the professor said.

Thank you for giving me a lesson in klingon. :thanks: :wallbash: SO MUCH KLINGON! EDIT: DAMN FLOOD CONTROL!!! giving me double post :bomb_ie:

google my friend Na'vi has its own page somewhere

Thank you for giving me a lesson in klingon. :thanks: :wallbash: SO MUCH KLINGON! EDIT: DAMN FLOOD CONTROL!!! giving me double post :bomb_ie:

google my friend Na'vi has its own page somewhere

I have a bunch of stuff on the na'vi language a mini guide to learning the language. XD So if it would help i will try and learn it. =)