higher elves?

khatmar

I am wondering if the shortness for the elves was based off the fact they are oppressed, downgraded, and malnourished... who am I kidding their elves!

Actually that caught me off guard, I havent played a elf character until recently and was like 'its kinda odd'. If done I think their might be a few cut-scene glitching too in some ares.

i've just barely started messing with meshes in dao and getting it down somewhat so anything i say could be incorrect at any time, please keep that in mind, thank you

So.

we have ef, and em - elf female & elf male

these model hierchies use arm, glv, cht and helm meshes that are scaled to match the elven race's general sizes - thankfully all humanoid animations seem to be fully cross-compatible aside from the obvious positioning of body parts, so if you put an human body on an elf head (more liek the other way around), the head will appear inside the torso, we know this

so, rather than rescale who-knows-how-many armor sets, clothes, helmets & nipple piercings - we should consider trying to find a way to simplify it all

assuming we want elves to be taller on an system wide level - my first stab at it would be to replace the race/gender entries in the corresponding .gda (hjavent touched these, but remember them being pretty str8 forward when taking a peek) for the ELF FEM/MALE section with Human torsos, legs, etc

next step assuming this goes smooth - rescale/adjust whatever ef_hed_funnyface.mmh/msh etc's from the ELVEN heads to match the human torso, and valuah, you may possibly have some pointy eared human elves.....probably would want to scale the (Y) plane down from 1 to .95 or something so that they are skinnier and can maintain an somewhat unique look

that is a straight forward butcher knife approach, but thats how these things always start as, right?

if we're talking about the main character -only- which would be a bit odd since you'd be the only elf-giant, an separate race could be made with corresponding backrounds

wait, heres an idea, why not make the dalish elves "humanoids" and leave the flat ears "nerfed" cause of uh...crappy human lifestyles, which could use the custom race aforementioned?

ah dude i dont know, just rants, i could be wrong about everything

cant you guys just accept that elves are inferior beasties made to serve man!! jk

(not really :P )

who knows dude, im still too new with a lot of things, race modification is foreign territory for me as of now, perhaps someone can shed a bit of light or point readers in the right direction of whats involved, and hey you never know

will subscribe to this

What about just scaling the Elves to Qunari height and then altering the Y plane to make them lithe rather than Conan wannabe's?

Qunari would still look totally different and you could combine that with the original elves to keep Dalish tall and slender and city as stunted and grubby. Hell maybe even alter the Qunari mesh to look more Conany (is that even a word!) than human or dwarf so they look more menacing and likely to carry 8 ft swords...

you should really change the name of this to 'taller elves' as when you say higher elves it sounds like oblivion 'high elves' or whatever they are called

anyways back on topic, i am quite used to the elves been shorter, it just makes them special, like like qunari are special because of their strength and because they are really tall

Dwarfes are special caus they are short and stubby.

I wouldnt mind taller elves, it will just change the aspect of elves in this game

also i have bad spelling and grammar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

ok, so its been roughly 4 years since I started this topic and I cant believe that there is no one who would take up arms for taller elves! (indeed, my misspelled higher thingy is just weird, makes you wonder whether theyre high and just need to tell their dealer to man up or hhhwats going on here)

I am wondering if the shortness for the elves was based off the fact they are oppressed, downgraded, and malnourished... who am I kidding their elves!

Actually that caught me off guard, I havent played a elf character until recently and was like 'its kinda odd'. If done I think their might be a few cut-scene glitching too in some ares.

- this was a brilliant idea, just sayin

• 8 months later...
While I know very little about editing meshes but I've toyed with the GDAs a bit and I foresee an issue with scaling. If we only change the height dimension and not the others then we may get distortion. Kind of like when you watch a full screen movie on a wide screen. When standing, the elf will look normal. But when running or fighting or doing anything more active than walking, certain body parts will actually look too short. Just a possibility to look out for.

• 5 years later...
I know I'm a little late to the party here (several years in fact), but if most of the meshes are close/interchangeable between humans and elves, would it not be possible to just copy the human meshes for everything except the head morphs and rename them to replace their elven counterparts?

@ShoKitsume; I don't think so. if one simply "grew" the Elven bodies by copying and renaming the files of the human ones, I think the heads would appear below the shoulders. The head height is calculated separately, and pre-set based on race. I know that if one replaces an Elven Warden's face with a human one, (which can be done) there is a gap between the head and the rest of the body! :tongue:

But heck! It might work. Why don't you try it for one set of armour and let us know what happens? :wink:

@ShoKitsume; I don't think so. if one simply "grew" the Elven bodies by copying and renaming the files of the human ones, I think the heads would appear below the shoulders. The head height is calculated separately, and pre-set based on race. I know that if one replaces an Elven Warden's face with a human one, (which can be done) there is a gap between the head and the rest of the body! :tongue:

But heck! It might work. Why don't you try it for one set of armour and let us know what happens? :wink:

Just so, Thandal. Modding DAO is rarely as simple as just renaming files. The elf head meshes would need to be height adjusted, as would the hairstyles, and probably even the eyeball meshes, in addition to remaking all clothing and armour items. And oh! Animations used by elves would likely need to be redone. (And of course, none of the mods that add armour, clothing, or hairstyles for elves would be usable any longer. And those oh-so popular nude body and sex cutscene mods wouldn't work properly either.)