ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Cannot Place Retextured Lights

DavidBudreck

I tried what I thought was a simple retexture. I applied the "CandleEvil" texture to CandleFat01.

Whenever I attempt to place the new object in the CS, it freezes. There is no error; it just stops responding, then Eventually Windows comes along and asks me if I want to close it.

I then tried replacing the silver plates (not the candles this time) from UpperSilverPlateCandles01 with exactly the same result. Whenever I attempt to drag the new object into the render window, the Editor simply freezes.

Obviously there is something going on either with Nifscope or the Editor that does not like retextured lights.

I have tried searching the forums, but as you can imagine, the words "Light" and "Retexture" are pretty common, and I turn up thousands of unrelated threads.

Can anybody give me a clue? I don't even know where to start looking.

Might want to make sure you have one of the more recent versions of nifscope running. If the most recent is installed, try using an earlier version.

I'm assuming that you know how to change textures in nifscope, and have done so successfully in the past, so won't go into that part of things.

Other than that, have you tried placing a non-retextured object or a retextured object which wasn't made by you in the window? The problem could be something related to the CS and your system.

Hmmmm. I've been experimenting to see it I can pin down what is causing this. As always, the results are not what would be expected.

I overwrote the mesh with a new one opened it in Nifscope and did a "Save As" without actually changing anything. -- Same Problem.

I replaced a vanilla candle with my altered mesh -- NO crash.

Open an exisiting vanilla candle, point it at my mesh and rename it -- NO crash.

Create a New LIGHT Object (which is what I did before). Point it at my mesh, set the light properties -- CRASH!!!

Create a New LIGHT Object, point it at the vanilla mesh extracted from the .bsa file, set the light properties -- CRASH!!!

So, apparently the editor does not like creating new light sources from scratch.

Problem Solved. Live and learn. Don't try to create a new LIGHT object; ALWYAS create a light by renaming an existing light.

P.S. I have also tried several variations on not creating the object at once, like creating the object, closing the window, then reopening to apply the mesh, or reopening to apply the color properties. It doesn't matter; the editor creashes every time the object is placed.

-EDIT-

I asked a friend to try the same thing to confirm that I am not crazy, and sure enough it crashed for her too when trying to create a new object by right-clicking and selecing "New." As soon as she tried to place the object, immediate CTD.