I'm new to Oblivion and would like some mods advice.

ShadowDragon8685

I was under the impression that The Steed would enhance my carrying capacity, but it seems this is not the case... Oh well.

It should do. I didn't choose that birthsign myself so I can't check (easily).

Quick question - what is your carrying limit and what is your character's strength?

I was under the impression that The Steed would enhance my carrying capacity, but it seems this is not the case... Oh well.

It should do. I didn't choose that birthsign myself so I can't check (easily).

Quick question - what is your carrying limit and what is your character's strength?

150. I forget her exact Strength (I think it was in the 30s), but I recall very specifically that it was 150 both before and after I told Captain Picard what my Birthsign was.

I'm starting to think either I didn't get it installed properly, activated properly, or maybe I just didn't launch Oblivion the right way?

Hmmm. Looking it, it seems as though the conflict is with the UOP. The UOP conflicts with Birthsigns Expanded.

Can someone help me make sure I fully understand thisa: I've got Birthsigns Expanded in my load order second from the bottom of the list. The only things below it are the UOP Vampire Facefix and UOP Citadel Doors fix. The man UOP (where the conflict detection is) is much, much higher.

As I understand it, the load order is top to bottom: those items higher up in the OBMM are loaded first, and are overridden by those things lower than them - IE, the UOP should have been overridden by the Birthsigns Expanded?

I'm starting to think either I didn't get it installed properly, activated properly, or maybe I just didn't launch Oblivion the right way?

Probably one of the above. :thumbsup:

You've got OBSE installed, right? So you need to start Oblivion via obse_loader.exe (You can also use 'Launch Oblivion' from OBMM - but all that does is run obse_loader.exe or OblivionLauncher.exe for you).

I used version 2.1 (Birthsigns Expanded). There's also a 'release candidate' for version 3 that you could try (needs OBSE v18) - v3 RC6.

I think the 2.1 version may be more stable.

As I understand it, the load order is top to bottom: those items higher up in the OBMM are loaded first, and are overridden by those things lower than them - IE, the UOP should have been overridden by the Birthsigns Expanded?

Yes, that's right. So, if anything, you should have Birthsigns Expanded working and UOP not working. :blink:

Not all 'conflicts' actually mean something is wrong, though. A lot of the time mods deliberately override portions of vanilla oblivion and/or other mods.

Yes, I've used OBSE. I was using the 2.1 version, but it didn't seem to work. I did launch Oblivion using the obse_loader, to the best of my knowledge - I re-directed the start menu shortcut to that program.

I'm going to strip out the Birthsigns Expanded 2.1 and put in V3 RC6. But I'm guessing for this change to do anything I'm going to have to watch Captain Picard get shanked again?

I'm going to strip out the Birthsigns Expanded 2.1 and put in V3 RC6. But I'm guessing for this change to do anything I'm going to have to watch Captain Picard get shanked again?

Possibly - it doesn't say in the Official Thread. However you get another chance to select your birthsign just as you exit the sewers and arrive at the lake-side.

Oh, one thing worth checking is what happens if you choose a different birthsign - do they work correctly?

[EDIT] I just found out that you can change your birthsign at any time using 'ShowBirthsignMenu' in the console. V3 RC6 also contains a 'birthsign zero' mod that you can use in case you have another mod that has affected your birthsigns. (See readme).

Sadly, I'm now having the problem I was afraid of having: I'm a full morning's worth of play into the game, which took a turn for the terrifyingly hard immediately after I exited the sewers, and I don't want to reset all that work - not to mention spend all that time making an attractive face again...

As an aside, seriously, WTF is up with that? Why are all the faces coyote ugly by default? Do I just suck at making faces, or have I royally screwed the pooch somewhere?

Sadly, I'm now having the problem I was afraid of having: I'm a full morning's worth of play into the game, which took a turn for the terrifyingly hard immediately after I exited the sewers, and I don't want to reset all that work - not to mention spend all that time making an attractive face again...

I think I edited my post since you last read it - check it again. :thumbsup:

As an aside, seriously, WTF is up with that? Why are all the faces coyote ugly by default? Do I just suck at making faces, or have I royally screwed the pooch somewhere?

I play a Khajiit, so I'm not the best one to comment. :whistling:

Generally you just turn the 'age' down to young and hit randomize face until you get one you like, don't you?

Don't forget that you can copy face data from 'face models' in tesnexus and also I think you can copy them out of old save files - so even if you start again you can have the same face.

One hint - I personally don't consider it cheating to 'kill' / 'killall' your way back up to where you were before the game crashed / you had to restart / etc. :biggrin: (Do use those console commands with caution though)

I think I edited my post since you last read it - check it again. :thumbsup:

Ahhh, I see. Yes, that would be useful.

I'm guessing one accesses the console in the same way that one does in most shooters?

I play a Khajiit, so I'm not the best one to comment. :whistling:

Generally you just turn the 'age' down to young and hit randomize face until you get one you like, don't you?

In theory, but I'm starting to think that there's a texture uck-fup somewhere. I mean seriously, the lips are just hideous. Just... Like, seriously coyote ugly, and all the changing I tried couldn't fix it. >_<

Don't forget that you can copy face data from 'face models' in tesnexus and also I think you can copy them out of old save files - so even if you start again you can have the same face.

That might be useful... Heh.

If I have to start again, I hope someone's at least made a mod to put Patrick Stewart's face (or at least his hair) on the Emperor's body. That was easily the most hilarious part of the game (so far, anyway,) because I kept replying "Aye, captain" when the emperor said something.

One hint - I personally don't consider it cheating to 'kill' / 'killall' your way back up to where you were before the game crashed / you had to restart / etc. :biggrin: (Do use those console commands with caution though)

Hehehehe. So, if the last guard guarding the Emperor's body is dead, will the game let you loot him then? Just askin'...