Battletech/Mechwarrior mod

Anubis Zombie

For those of you who don't know Mechwarrior usta be a pen and paper RPG for a boardgame called Battletech.

The Fallout world deffinantly has the technical know how.

Would it be possible too make 12 meter tall robots you could climb into and decimate the waste from? Can the engine handle that? Does any1 know? Maybe your the Liberty prime skeleton and make different meshes for it?

Well, you could probly just make a regular armor mesh that looks like a Giant Mech, and then use a script to make the player 12 meters tall

The only problem to that, is when you make your player that tall, when you jump and come down the player dies from falling too far...

The Liberty Prime skeleton doesn't have the animations needed for a playable character, so it would deffinatly be easier to just rig it onto the standard human skeleton and scale it up.

edit ---

ok, I found this by simply searching "fall damage"

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2357

so my theory is (I don't know anything really about Fallout scripting) is that you could have a stationary mesh of the Giant Mech just sitting there. The player walks up to it, and when you activate it, it applies the "Giant Mech" armor, adds the "No Fall Damage" and turns you player to the scale of "4.3"

so then you would be a 12 meter tall robot that functions exactly the same as the player

though, in practice it would probly be much more complicated than that, because remember, I don't know anything about scripting, this is just my personal theory that may or may not work.

Mechs would be pretty cool, i would rather be down with the smaller, "suits" you could get into. such as the one from district 9.

@3rdtryguy While it seems like it would be cool and stuff, the reality is that battlemechs are not the right direction. In combat you want simple and effective weapons, and less moving parts. And the fact that weapon technology is virtually always ahead of armor technology it would be a waste of resources when you find out that your multi billion dollar battlemech can be destroyed by the same $20k anti-tank rocket that could destroy a multi million dollar tank. I think it would be more worth it to make much smaller armored suits at 4 or so meters tall.

indeed it would be more practical to use something like that as more an upscaled power armour than a mecha, a walking LAV instead of something to replace a tank.

course you would still have to go for cover if someone pulls out an RPG.

Well, yeah, but that's kinda missing the point. Giant Mecha aren't supposed to be practical. They exist to look cool and do things that they couldn't really do if they existed in reality. ;)

Mechs are as much for their psychological impact on the enemy as they are for their massive destructive capacity. A platoon of assault mechs strolling into town would tend to freak out the locals and send them running, especially after they opened fire and ever so casually leveled a few buildings along the way.

Anyway, those little mini-mechs like we saw in "Avatar" would be pretty handy, both in reality and in Fallout.

• 6 years later...

I wanna know why we don't yet have battlemechs in real life.

What's the holdup?

anyway, mechs would be pretty cool

maybe we just need to wait until 2077 and invent real tardises and go to an alternate universe where 2077 is a post-apocalyptic wasteland because the holocaust never ended and the chinese blew up everything with a huge nuke or two.