Rediculously cumulative loading times with progressing saves.

Vildryn

I think I'm going to reduce the mods I'm using and start a new game. If that still doesn't work, then I'll try tinkering around with MMM on said game, and if that fails to fix the problem, I'll try with no mods for a few hours. If the lattermost option works, then I'll just have to add mods one by one until something has an effect.

Here's a quick fix.. atleast it worked on my game. Disabled every mod, except hair and body replacers. Loaded up the game, waited 3 days inside my home in megaton. Saved. Ran out to get killed and do a reload. Was back to instant. Did that around 10 times with no issues. Activated all mods. Load savegame. Waited 3 days (just in case, not sure if it was nessecary at this point) Die and reload more than 10 times with no issues.

All items from mods in inventory/safe storages etc are gone tho, so will have to recollect.

But recollecting > New game

Hope this will work for you too Vildryn

That's quite a logical fix, but I think I'm going to start a new game anyways. (I''m like that with things like this. Constantly starting new games.) Mainly because on my old game I added a fair bit of data to my file size by 'disabling' all of the broken clutter in vault 106 to make it habitable for a faction, whereas now I'm working on a custom Vault mod (which I might upload if it turns out to be good enough). Although that wouldn't have much of an effect, it would still leave unnecissary data lying around. Plus, I'm planning to make a sort of screenshot-based journal, and to start midway through... well... :confused:

I probably would have made a new game regardless of the slowing eventually, anyways, because creating a custom faction ingame whilst using SCC does tend to clear the world of NPCs a fair amount. Specially if you;re planning on filling a whole vault. :yucky:

But when that game starts slowing down, I guess I'll do what you did, bleedybleed, providing that waiting without removing mods doesn't work first. Don't want to have to go recollecting if my problem lies in respawnable stuff and can be fixed from simply waiting on its own. ;)

• 1 month later...
I've made some progress on identifying this problem... it seems a small string of code, which my computer reads as Ñ| | | fills up a lot of the file, repeated continuously. On my latest save, I got 299 pages of that code on MS Word, font size 12, times new roman. And after examining a friend's saves, I found not a single Ñ| | | . I believe this repeated code could be what's slowing down my save. There is significantly more of this repeated string in my recent save than a far earlier one. But even my earliest save, from just outside Vault 101, has many of these, which would explain the difference in loading time. Does anyone know of any program I could use to decode an FOS file? I'd like to find out exactly what this string is/means so I can fix the problem.

I've made some progress on identifying this problem... it seems a small string of code, which my computer reads as Ñ| | | fills up a lot of the file, repeated continuously. On my latest save, I got 299 pages of that code on MS Word, font size 12, times new roman. And after examining a friend's saves, I found not a single Ñ| | | . I believe this repeated code could be what's slowing down my save. There is significantly more of this repeated string in my recent save than a far earlier one. But even my earliest save, from just outside Vault 101, has many of these, which would explain the difference in loading time. Does anyone know of any program I could use to decode an FOS file? I'd like to find out exactly what this string is/means so I can fix the problem.

There is two different problems related to load times, the first is one that grows from barely noticeable to frankly unbearable loads on new cells and/or pipboy inventory, that kind is commonly followed by lags and sometimes fall in FPS.

The main reason for that issue is memory leak, it seems to be triggered by some events and/or presence of items, anyway I don't know how to completely solve that issue and if it is not too frequent the best workaround is yet saving the game and quit to windows, wait a few moments so the OS can recover all lost memory chunks and reload the game.

The other, seems to be that that plagues your savegames. It is probably caused by heavy bloating from mod that abuses functions like "PlaceAtMe" without care with disabling and deleting the persistent 'residues'.

That kind is better identified looking at the savegame sheer length. If you notice the saves are too big and tend to grow even without significant plot advances and item collecting... so you are plagued by such mods. A possible solution is trying Wrye's Bash bloating related functions. The presence of those strings you reported are unknown to me and I have not a clue about it nor a way to analyze from that information alone, yet it looks like a good start point in identifying your actual problem.

Anyway, try enabling TDT at the console, although it seems been downgraded in relation to its Oblivion akin. If you're lucky it may report strange recurrent activities.

Well I check console text regularly anyway, as I use TFC/TM commands frequently to take screenshots, and it seems to yield the same level of data as TDT.

Nothing seems out of place, except SCC, which moves companions that get a little too far away back to the player. I've checked the mod, and from my limited knowledge of Fo3 scripting, I didn't find any PlaceAtMe stuff, but I believe it uses MoveTo, if that can cause problems. I don't think it's a memory leak, because where loading times do get longer within each session, they're also still quite bad when the game is freshly loaded, so it is most certainly an issue with the save file itself, and most likely because of bloating of that string.

atm, it seems the best course of action is to wait for Garybash to port over Wrye Bash's bloat repair feature :rolleyes: , unless anyone knows of any other fully-functional Fo3 ports of that program or a way to get Wrye Bash to work without the need of downloading a ported version.

• 4 months later...

I've got this same issue - and something is causing some bloating because I have 18K plus saves. Going to try the method mentioned above to see what happens to fix this.

Wish Wrye would have ported all of his utilities over to FO3.