is updating mods ok?

madcow12

the golden rule is don't install or remove mods mid game

what about updating, is that completely ok or is it just relative safer

Depends. Whenever the author says "A Clean Save is required for updating" you might consider waiting for a new playthrough, unless you're not hell-bent to play this save for a few hundred hours.

A "clean save" in the traditional sense is a myth, yes. What notmyhome meant, I believe, was that some mods require you to start a new game even when simply updating. The Civil War Overhaul is an example. The author will usually let you know how to best go about updating.

Bottom line: always read the mod description and author's notes in the comments section before updating. If there's no information there, ask. You're likely not the only one who's going to wonder.

Edited by Hyacathusarullistad

A "clean save" in the traditional sense is a myth, yes. What notmyhome meant, I believe, was that some mods require you to start a new game even when simply updating. The Civil War Overhaul is an example. The author will usually let you know how to best go about updating.

Bottom line: always read the mod description and author's notes in the comments section before updating. If there's no information there, ask. You're likely not the only one who's going to wonder.

Hyac's right there. Sorry; my style of writing is sometimes as confused and confusing as my train of thoughts :D

What I can tell from personal experience, when I tried updating Realistic Needs And Diseases, I destroyed a save. But it's not like it had ever been stable in the first place; uninstalling RnD for the "clean save" was only the coup de grace.

Clean save isn't a myth anymore, well at least the "mythness" has been reduced by half by the save game script cleaner, it does wonders to me :D I revived an old playthrough with that utility. But then again, nothing is perfect, so always make backups and try to find answers, else just rely on your gut!

Back on the original question

the golden rule is don't install or remove mods mid game

Make a backup of your data folder before updating the mod - and there is no reason to not add or remove mods mid game - IF YOU HAVE A BACKUP. Most simple mods will not cause a problem. The ones that do are usually scripted mods. And even most of them will be OK.