What do you think about the climate change?

Nadin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In related news: The Manufactured Doubt industry and the hacked email controversy

What you guys think of this one?

Comparing apples with oranges: things that can be tested using the Scientific Method (smoking / asbestos effects...) vs. things that can't (human activity with potential global effects). A failed analogy to anyone who understands the basics of science and logic.

Now that I'm not that good at physics, I do still remember the day our teacher told me about this in 7th grade. The sun sends sunrays to the planet and some other things happen in the process, which creates Co2.

Thank you. I mean, I can't see how anyone hasn't ever thought about this before. People like you and me – real Joes Six-pack who live on Main Street, far away from eggheads sitting in their ivory towers sipping imported beers – we know the truth. We have life experiences that those idiot scientists can't ever replicate, no matter how many millions of man-hours they put into their research. We know things that give us the right to directly criticize both long-established scientific fact and heavily researched claims which are under active debate. Things that can't be learned from books, or peer-reviewed journals, or completing a research doctorate in climatology, or spending most of your professional life researching the same phenomenon.

Things like a half-remembered factoid from a grade school–level class we took 12 years ago, told to us by someone who had (at the very least) a two-year liberal arts degree, earned a few more decades prior.

Dude you just broke my sarcasmometer. Please buy me a new one.

Now that I'm not that good at physics, I do still remember the day our teacher told me about this in 7th grade. The sun sends sunrays to the planet and some other things happen in the process, which creates Co2.

Thank you. I mean, I can't see how anyone hasn't ever thought about this before. People like you and me – real Joes Six-pack who live on Main Street, far away from eggheads sitting in their ivory towers sipping imported beers – we know the truth. We have life experiences that those idiot scientists can't ever replicate, no matter how many millions of man-hours they put into their research. We know things that give us the right to directly criticize both long-established scientific fact and heavily researched claims which are under active debate. Things that can't be learned from books, or peer-reviewed journals, or completing a research doctorate in climatology, or spending most of your professional life researching the same phenomenon.

Things like a half-remembered factoid from a grade school–level class we took 12 years ago, told to us by someone who had (at the very least) a two-year liberal arts degree, earned a few more decades prior.

Never have I so gladly given somebody kudos. You have said what I am too lazy to say.

Lol. Authoritarianism from an unexpected source (considering username only...).

Books: just because something is written down / published doesn't make it true.

Peer-reviewer journals: "peers" can't be biased / have conflicts of interest?

Completing a research doctorate in climatology, spending most of your professional life researching the same phenomenon: Logical fallacy, Argument from Authority

Yes, it is true that scientists are more qualified to speak intelligently on matters of science, but when even a layman can see the gaping holes in the structure of their inquiry, scepticism is warranted. The Scientific Method cannot be applied to the topic of global climate change such that any causal links could be proven (as I have previously explained). Intellectually honest scientists would tell you this instead of touting scientific consensus (coupling the logical fallacies Argument from Authority and Argumentum ad Populum ) as the backbone of their position.

You have a mental disorder.

No. Stop. Don't click the "reply" button. Put away the Dictionary of Fallacies for just a moment. This isn't argumentum ad hominem or coitus con flagella or whatever other two-dollar word you'd like to cover it up with. I'm a human being, and I'm speaking with you. I've just told you my honest, unembellished opinion.

And my opinion is that you have a mental disorder.

You have neither the ability nor the desire for true comprehension. When you come across information, it doesn't spark interest – only an instinct to digest and to ultimately pick apart. Everything you hear or read is reduced to talking points and sound bites, props in a never-ending game of rhetorical whack-a-mole. You don't care about learning or understanding, only about convincing yourself that you're right. You're talk-radio incarnate: the Mouth of America, qualified to enter any debate and entitled to make any decision. You think you're special. You think your thoughts are unique.

That's why I think you have a mental disorder.

Now go ahead. Click the "reply" button. Open your Dictionary of Fallacies back up. I know your mouse pointer has been hovering for the past two minutes. I know your finger has been tugging at that bookmark for so long that it's cramped up. I know you're going to analyze and pick apart every word of this post. I know you don't even have the basic human decency to allow me my own opinions of you.

I know these things because you have a mental disorder.

<snip>

Is this pile of hostility directed at me? Ad hominem after Ad hominem. Followed by making baseless statements about me and my position, putting words into my mouth, then criticizing the opinions you have mistakenly attributed to me. Then taunts and more of the ad hominem junk.

If you want to discuss the subject matter fine. Personal attacks like this are useless.

Reported for trolling.

Edit:

I'm a human being, and I'm speaking with you. I've just told you my honest, unembellished opinion.

And I gave a logical criticism of your post. I would deem this appropriate for a thread in the "debate" section of these forums. If you disagree I would imagine that you might be capable of responding in a manner that does not violate site rules.

Whack-a-mole quotes. Analytical tone. "Official-sounding" language (whatever happened to the "down-home wisdom" routine?). Use of the exact phrase I had predicted (shame you didn't slip up and say coitus con flagella; that would've been fun).

And all while openly acknowledging your having been trolled.

I think this might just be my masterpiece.

<snip>

Is this pile of hostility directed at me? Ad hominem after Ad hominem. Followed by making baseless statements about me and my position, putting words into my mouth, then criticizing the opinions you have mistakenly attributed to me. Then taunts and more of the ad hominem junk.

If you want to discuss the subject matter fine. Personal attacks like this are useless.

Reported for trolling.

Edit:

I'm a human being, and I'm speaking with you. I've just told you my honest, unembellished opinion.

And I gave a logical criticism of your post. I would deem this appropriate for a thread in the "debate" section of these forums. If you disagree I would imagine that you might be capable of responding in a manner that does not violate site rules.

Please keep the discussion civil. Personal attacks are not allowed on these forums. If it persists, both parties will be given strikes. What has already been said has been noted and strikes may be issued as seen fit. Saying "reported" is not an appropriate response as this can only be seen as an attempt toward further hostility.

Both of you know better than to start this kind of stuff or respond to it.

If you cannot continue in a respectful, non-pretentious, mature manner, please go somewhere else.