Random crashes

Nadin

I've been getting a lot of crashes going into or out of buildings in fallout 3. It happens everywhere, but more often in the takoma/vernon square area. Once I exit and load my last save a few times it's fine, but it's still a royal pain in the lower abdomen. I've checked my load order and there shouldn't be any issues. Does anyone know what's going on?

This is my load order:

Fallout3.esm

Anchorage.esm

The Pitt.esm

Broken Steel.esm

Point Lookout.esm

Caliber.esm

MMM.esm

FK2-main.esm

FK2[wnk].esm

FK2[dk].esm

Project Beauty HD version.esm

Streetlights.esm

FK2-main.esp

FK2[dk].esp

FK2-EVE-.esp

Weapon Mod Kits.esp

(DLC supports for above)

Weapon mods-fook2 FOIP patch.esp

ConsolemodV3.esp

RunFaster25%.esp

PB-Fook2 Main.esp

PB-Fook2 [dk].esp

Hairstyles.esp

VATS-MCE.esp

VATS longer distance.esp

DK-Bullettime.esp

Streetlights-wasteland.esp

MyFook2-No chem weights.esp

Holy water pamphlets disabler.esp

Penetrating Lasers.esp

Agatha's radio 30[e].esp

MMM.esp

(DLC support for above)

MMM increased Increased spawns.esp

MMM Feral ghoul rampage.esp

MMM Hunting and looting.esp

MMM Tougher traders.esp

MMM Natural Selection.esp

MMM-fook2 FOIP patch.esp

MMM-fook2[dk] Patch.esp

More Mp3 radio.esp

Lookout Radio.esp

Wasteland Radio stations in the Pitt.esp

Purge Cell Buffers.esp

HELP!

I would drop PCB.esp, while it certianly works, an maybe even a good idea. Everyone says it cause issues like you are having.

Then WMK.esp ain't no bucket of joy itself. For what it was back last year, a simple great mod which didn't really touch on a lot of things, by all means small an simple, it conflicted with about 90% of the mods out there. heh It has been updated which is great, an even stepped things up a bit to include FOOK2 into the mix. But because of how it's made I'm not sure if it ever will work right in the way that we use it. To find out you would have to be using FO3edit to build your load orders which I can see that you are not.

Web-ensized FO3edit guide by CSB http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9616

I find it's more easy to set up a very good vanilla game, test it, then add about 60-80 really small an simple mods, fix that, then a few weeks later add some big mods in one at a time.

Say what you want about the FO3edit or the folks using it, but at the end of the day we can make the mods do anything we want, while also avoiding about 50% of the crashes without any FOIP.

I PCB, yeah, I used to do it by entering a building, then ~ to open the console type PCB hit enter, then exit the building to force a reload. However when you are outside in the actual wasteland is where you need PCB the most, then inside cells you need the data in the Cell buffer. Which led me to start using Groovatron's teleport ability in order to PCB in the wasteland. Which all you do is press X to place a teleport marker, then press X again to teleport to the total black room, ~PCB, then teleport to the total white room, then press X again an teleport back to the spot you were at in the wasteland, only with a Cell buffer ready for performance.

Groovatron.esp needs F3umpaAnimation.esp in order to work, but that's it, plus there's only about 1000 other uses.

Then inside the fallout.ini there is background loader, which helpped in Oblivion, an also selective purge on fast travel, which you can learn about via the tweek guide @ http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_1.html

LOL, you ditched MMM thinking it was the cause. It's not, it's probably one of the cleanest mods out there. It does cause a lot of stuff to be in the cell buffer, so just drop natural selection, or start using PCB. MMM is really nice. Mart just updated it too.

Groovatron is @ http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3284 Don't forget Umpa animations.

I disabled the PCB, while continuing to enable the MMM. I also had to drop some hi-res textures, but it doesn't crash anymore.

Incidentally, It turns out I cannot finish the quest with the declaration of independence, nor can I enter the Pitt. :/

LOL, you ditched MMM thinking it was the cause. It's not, it's probably one of the cleanest mods out there. It does cause a lot of stuff to be in the cell buffer, so just drop natural selection, or start using PCB. MMM is really nice. Mart just updated it too.

Groovatron is @ http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3284 Don't forget Umpa animations.

Doesn't mean it can't cause crashes. I used to have problems with crashes and, after a painstaking process of disabling mods, discovered the culprit to be MMM.

MMM's been updated a few times since then no doubt, but I'm still leery of trying it again. Besides, Blaze has a hard enough time as it is. ;)

If you use MMM or any other mod without using FO3edit to sanitize it, create mergepatch, master update. Then yeah it will cause a crash. You can't blame MMM for it or any other mod. It's your own fault for not taking the time to ensure that those 100 mods you have all work together. The mods are made from people all over the world. It's the idea, but mods were never meant to be used with anything other than the stuff they were created with and tested with. As a user we will rarely ever even hear what was used or what it was tested with. Hence the need to create a build, rather than a game with a bunch of mods you threw in there. Which is where FO3edit, FO3 plug in utility, and GECK come in.