Help! Just switched antivirus

theuseless

I switched antivirus software a month ago. I had McAfee, then deleted that and installed Avast. I have no idea why, but now I can't use mtgo (Magic The Gathering Online). It says that the latest version of it's kicker program could not be downloaded.

I searched and found the ports that it uses (7730, 7770, 8001-8099, 9001-9005) and enabled them in the firewall. I tried to disable the firewall. Then I disabled Avast, uninstalled MTGO. I re-installed MTGO after making sure the registry was clean, with Avast and the firewall turned off.

I had a similar problem before which I solved by deleting the kicker.exe file in the mtgo folder. That forced the program to rebuild it. That didn't work this time either.

The specific text it displays is "The latest version of Magic Online's 'Kicker' program could not be downloaded." This is in a window that is called "Internet Problem." This is the only thing that I have found wrong after the install of Avast. The problem occured directly after the install, before any other programs were added or updated. Everything else works fine.

This was a minor problem at first, but now that I have time again, it is a major set back. I have posted this same problem in a few of my favorite tech forums as well, but got no useful advice. If anybody else has had a similar problem or knows of a solution, please let me know.

If I don't figure this out, I'm going straight to Linux, Ubuntu all the way. I'm getting sick of these crappy windows products. I will install that and WINE as soon as I can back up my data, but want to play magic sooner than that.

Thanks in advance if you can help,

theuseless

Sounds like you took the appropriate steps. But does Avast have logs you can examine? Are there files related to that game in quarantine?

Maybe switch your protection to Comodo Internet Security which is also free, has multiple programs packaged in a single product and is highly rated by independent security analysts even when compared to pay-for products.

Matousec Security Challenge Results

LHammonds

Hello and thanks again for all the help. I have been googling it all day with no results. I have used the ipconfig option in the run> cmd. I have tried every possible thing to get this to work. I know that when I uninstalled McAfee that was when the problems started. I'm researching online backup now. I will most certainly be creating a few different partitions this time I re-install windows. Any thoughts about iDrive? $5 will get me 150 gigs of backup, about half what I need but reasonably priced enough to find cuts.

I'm running winxp with .net framework 3.5 (fully updated), Windows Genuine Advantage enabled. I have no system restore points (stupid, I know). I do however keep backups of my registry and did a backup to well before the issue.

I completely uninstalled avast, ran windows with no firewall and still couldn't play. Upon installing Comodo (thanks by the way), I found another virus (RelevantKnowledge) that I hadn't detected before. I managed to remove that virus with Unlocker! by renaming the .dll file extensions to .txt and running the delete feature with the tool. That allowed me to delete the spyware and all files in its folder. I did research and there aren't any other files to remove.

Upon installing Comodo, I found that no programs can access the internet at all. Comodo won't update, I had to run the updates manually. I tried to run a ping to www.google.com from cmd prompt, found that another program is blocking it (4 retries, all failures). I'm assuming that McAfee found a way to block my programs or was surpressing a virus which now is blocking them. Oh well.

So after a good 10+ hrs on this task, I'm resolved to use iDisk. I exclusively use prepaid credit online, so I have to top that up tomorrow.

-edit-

I used McAfee's remoal tool to uninstall all the rest of the components, to no avail.

good old McAfee, even if you uninstall it the right way, it still fricking has crap lodged into Windows. Had the same problem with McAfee years back, wound up reformatting because it seemed like an endless struggle at the time.

Did you use CCleaner to remove all the registry entries from it? It might still have entries that are causing conflicts with your other AV software....

http://www.ccleaner.com/

To be honest, I use no AV software and haven't for 6 years now....don't ask me how, but I've never gotten a piece of spyware, virus, malware, or anything else. I do pretty much visit the same 20 sites a day, so I guess that's what it is...plus heavenly Ad Block Plus :)

lol. Frag mcCrappy.

Doing a system wipe now. I've posted to every tech forum that I like and gotten the same crud.

-edit-

I learned a lot. I can't remember who said it, but "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you were looking for." lol