How do I configure CK for SKSE/Papyrus

So, I am trying papyrus scripting for the first time. I have been searching for info on how to configure CK so that you can attach papyrus scripts. I click the add button to attach my script and CK freezes then CTD. So I am thinking that I don't have something configured correctly. I have been searching all over the net and haven't found anything about configuring CK.

Could I get one of you experts to point me to a forum entry, web page or setup documentation so that I can get this figured out.

I am running CK 1.9.32.0 and SKSE 1.06.16 / 1.07.00. Steam/Skyrim is installed to root of C:. CK is set to run as Admin. I am logged in as an admin. UAC is turned off. Win7x64.

All functions of CK seams to work... right up until I click the add button in a papyrus script window. Then screen goes gray and Microsoft kindly informs me the program as crashed and then... CTD.

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

I had this happen once when I did not have the DLC source scripts copied to the main source folder and had the DLC as a selected master file. Problem with copying the DLC source scripts to the main source folder is that it will overwrite base game source scripts. You may want to make 7z archives of the DLC source folders and set them up to be installed by a mod manager.

Alternatively, do what I did. I created a directory called Base+DLC in Data > Scripts. I then added a Source folder. Copied the base game source files, copied Dawnguard, then Hearthfires, then Dragonborn. After that I dropped SKSE files over top of it all. I then added the following to my SkyrimEditorCustom.ini file

[Papyrus]
sScriptSourceFolder = "Data\Scripts\Base+DLC\Source"

EDIT: As to the question of setting SKSE up for use with the CK, just install it per Gopher's instructions on his video. Unless of course you go the route I did. Then the source scripts go to a different location as well.

Edited by IsharaMeradin

If you're having the issue above with the DLC, register the DLC bsa's in the SkyrimEditor.ini as below:

[Archive]

SArchiveList=Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dragonborn.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa, HearthFires.bsa

SResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dragonborn.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa, HearthFires.bsa

If you plan on using SKSE, make sure the SKSE loose scripts are in the scripts directory so that they overwrite the vanilla scripts.

SKSE does not overwrite DLC scripts specifically. DLC scripts are overwritten by SKSE only if they overwrite Vanilla NON-DLC scripts.

@ a.ellis

The Creation Kit will not allow you to get far enough to crash when trying to attach a script when the DLC bsa files are not registered. It will crash during the loading process of the DLC esm. That must not be the issue.

Anyway, I cannot replicate the crash I had which was similar to the OPs. It was on a previous computer and under a different set up.

@ Wolfeknight

I suggest trying the following...

Do your work aside from adding the scripts.

Save your plugin

Exit the Creation Kit

Restart the Creation Kit

Try adding your scripts

There is an issue with the Creation Kit that it will crash after X number of windows have been opened and/or after so much memory has been used. It could be that this is the case and it just so happens to happen when you attempt to add a new script.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I found the issue.

As it turns out, CK was apparently not properly installed by Steam. I was checking install options and 'verified' system cache and it reported that I was missing 18 files. Steam downloaded these missing files and bam! Everything started working properly.

I implemented your suggestions all the same, and things ran even better.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the advice!