Checking which Skyrim objects use a particular file?

Deleted8058771User

So... does anyone know if it's even possible?

Sorry to respond to my own topic, but it got pushed to the next page very fast and it would really save me a lot of time as I've been working on someone else's mod and he/she was quite sloppy. There are several textures which don't seem to be linked to anything, models which don't seem to be used, etc...

Edited by Guest

For meshes:

Load the plugin in the Creation Kit

Open the Edit drop down menu

Select Find Text

In the box that opens, type or copy-paste the file name including extension of the mesh

Click Find Text

Select Objects tab

It should list the object using that mesh

Unfortunately this process does not work for textures.

TextureSets edited by the mod (if any) will need to be manually examined

Mesh files themselves need to be manually examined to see if any use the textures directly.

Alright thanks a lot! :smile: It actually was somewhat similar to the method I was using (checking model column), but neither works for the mesh I needed to track down it seems. :D But it will still be useful for the future.

You can find an armour's ground .nif directly, but not it's equipped model. Probably because that has 4 possibilites; 1st person male & female and 3rd person male & female.

If you know the ground .nif then you can navigate to the ArmorAddOn from there and see the equipped models, but if you don't know it or if it simply doesn't have one, then you're out of luck.

Also figured there was no easy method for the textures, which is really unfortunate, because that's mostly what I needed to track down.

I think it's possible to do with TES5. I remember in passing I wanted to see something like this and there's a function in TES that does it. Can't remember at all how to do it though.

UPDATE: Looking through the Scripts in TES5 there's Asset Manager, might help. HERP DERP, the function List Used Meshes might be it...

Hmmmmmm I reread your request, you could pull all the meshes used then Ctrl+F to find it and narrow it down from there

Edited by JobVanDam

I think it's possible to do with TES5. I remember in passing I wanted to see something like this and there's a function in TES that does it. Can't remember at all how to do it though.

Hope you remember because I could not find any means to search other than by Form ID or Editor ID Name. Neither one of those would have sufficed for this situation. Had I discovered it, I would have shared it as well.

Perhaps there might be a add-on script available for TES5Edit. I was able to obtain one to copy Form IDs to the clipboard after asking about it. Could be worth a shot to ask in the "official" TES5Edit thread if it is possible to obtain forms that use specified meshes & textures.

Files generated by TES4LODGen are just binary data files with positions and angles for _far meshes, they are not meshes themselves.

In Skyrim objects lod (*.bto files) are actual nif meshes created from _lod meshes by merging them together (grouped by neighboring cells) in NiTriStrip nodes. So lod generation involves creation of nif meshes.

There are only 2 libraries that allow to do this atm: niflib and piffy, and they both don't support pascal. That's why I said that TES5LODGen is unlikely to happen.

From what I understand, Zilav may have to elaborate or correct me, the plugins hold some but not all file names. To detect the rest of the file names you have to parse the actual Nif file. Currently there are no libraries compatible with Pascal to do that. So it could not be done with a TES5Edit script either. Someone would have to write a C++, Java, Python, utility to do it. I could see a script generating part of the information like the TES5LodGen does, but the way that works is a separate C++ program takes the information and actually generates the LOD.

EDIT: I just thought about something. A script to pass to another program wouldn't really fix it because after the other program outside TES5Edit processed the information, that report could not be pumped back into TES5Edit to be used on the plugin. SO yaeah... Probably worthless to try that.

Edited by Sharlikran

@Aruberikku

Zilav has posted a script for TES5Edit in the official thread which may help obtain some or all of the information you are seeking. You may obtain it within the following post.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1490494-relz-tes5edit/page-4?do=findComment&comment=23649596

EDIT:

It works too. You need to be using version 3.0.32 of TES5Edit. Had no idea they had updated.

Once the plugin(s) have loaded

Right click on the plugin

Choose Apply Script

Select the Asset Manager script

Press OK

A new window appears

For your purpose choose to List the references

Press OK

Decide between displaying on screen in messages or output to a CSV spreadsheet file

Wait for it to be done.

Edited by IsharaMeradin

Maybe you guys missed it when I updated my post but I'll copy-paste it here:

UPDATE: Looking through the Scripts in TES5 there's Asset Manager, might help. HERP DERP, the function List Used Meshes might be it...

Hmmmmmm I reread your request, you could pull all the meshes used then Ctrl+F to find it and narrow it down from there

Maybe you guys missed it when I updated my post but I'll copy-paste it here:

Saw it. Read it. Had already asked about this in the official TES5Edit thread.

Shared the link when Zilav posted the updated version of the same script.

Edited my post after trying it myself to list the explicit steps needed.

It is now up to the OP to use this information how they see fit.