Start your own army/faction mod?

LordSn0w

I made a mod, where you can start your own faction and fight the imperials or stormcloaks. Like you can recruit villagers and train them and conquer towns. Like the storm cloaks have half of skyrim and the imperials the other half, and if you take over a town, then you can start your own sovereignty (kinda like mount and blade). You can name it whatever you want, and you can hire a recruiter and a trainer in each town and depending on how big your city is, you recruiter gets a certain amount of troops for your army, and the trainer trains the troops, and the more troops you have, the longer it takes for the trainer to level them up. Like let's say you conquer falkreath, you will get a few soldiers a week, and they don't take long to level up, but if you conquer solitude, you get a lot more soldiers so it takes time to level them all up. A courier brings you a message if one of your towns is under seige or has been taken, and you have a certain amount of time to get to it to help defend the siege before the enemy takes it, if you die during the seige you wake up in one if your army camps. You can appoint followers to higher ranks. And you are king of skyrim once you kill all the stormcloaks or all the imperials, or if they surrender to you. And you can't have soldiers running around with you, but you have a item in your inventory that will call your banners, and then options come up that say how many troops to bring, and if your going to defend, or attack, or seige a city. You can attack opponents army camps as well, and there are a lot more added. Also powerful families can side with you and will give you more troops, like if the grey manes join you they are a powerful house so you will get a lot more men. You can award villages to your vassals too. You can offer to be a vassal to one of the sides, imperials or stormcloaks as well, and villages can be awarded to you, and you may start your own army as a vassal of that faction. The mod is activated when you either side with one factions or start your own, until then, neither of the factions have fights in the field or take each other's towns. This makes it so that if you just start a new character, that one faction won't become so powerful before you start fighting. I've made a beta for this mod for myself, lots of bugs but wouldn't be too hard to fix them. Should I release this to the public once I add voice acting and fix the bugs?

• 2 months later...

I like this idea, but it sounds daunting to pull it off. This idea sounds similar in concept to the excellent Helgen Reborn mod, but on a larger scale. That mod concentrates only on the town of Helgen. In that mod, the player chooses if the town guard (that the player helps to build) will be Imperial, Stormcloak, or independent – what you describe is an independent faction.

I have seen other mods like LC Become King of Riverhelm and LC Become Jarl of Ivarstead, but they also concentrate on one town – what you describe would range across Skyrim.

The follower framework mods have limitations on how many max followers you can have, such as 15 max for UFO, so maybe the army would need to be outside of the extended follower mod framework (they would not count as “followers”). I have seen some castle mods with guards and servants that appear to be outside of the extended follower mods, so this appears to be possible.

Would the player need to somehow equip their army? Could they have particular sets of armor, with unique faction surcoats, cloaks, and shields to differentiate them from other factions?

I like this idea, but it sounds daunting to pull it off. This idea sounds similar in concept to the excellent Helgen Reborn mod, but on a larger scale. That mod concentrates only on the town of Helgen. In that mod, the player chooses if the town guard (that the player helps to build) will be Imperial, Stormcloak, or independent – what you describe is an independent faction.

I have seen other mods like LC Become King of Riverhelm and LC Become Jarl of Ivarstead, but they also concentrate on one town – what you describe would range across Skyrim.

The follower framework mods have limitations on how many max followers you can have, such as 15 max for UFO, so maybe the army would need to be outside of the extended follower mod framework (they would not count as “followers”). I have seen some castle mods with guards and servants that appear to be outside of the extended follower mods, so this appears to be possible.

Would the player need to somehow equip their army? Could they have particular sets of armor, with unique faction surcoats, cloaks, and shields to differentiate them from other factions?

I think you misunderstand her. The first line is "I made". This is an already completed mod.

Yes you can already have your choice of troops armor. Every soldier has a different face and race depends on where you recruit from. You can recruit from other countries in tamriel is what I'm working on now. At one of your army camps you can take a carriage to another place, for example, take a carriage to hammerfell and you will arrive in a building and can hire someone to recruit redguards for you. You also can send a person from your camp in skyrim to go recruit too but it is a lower recruitment success rate. I made the base mod (of course with ton of bugs) and am working on other stuff to make it bigger, like the recruitment from other countries etc. As you would expect, even the base is full of bugs and glitches. It will be quite awhile before it's ready for a release.

Also the type of troop you get depends on where you recruit him from. For example, redguards are two handed, dark elves are mages, wood elves archers, etc. But you can choose to just recruit swordsmen, two handers, archers, mages, etc, by recruiting in skyrim, for a lesser price. And there is a random chance that you will get a very skilled archer or mage by recruiting in skyrim, success rate for this goes up as you gain more troops, territory, and gold.

• 2 weeks later...