New Ubisoft games must always be online

TheTerminator2004

It's just impossible to stop pirates, there is always a way to get through whatever protections are thrown at them. Companies want to break our right to privacy for the sake of their profit. Not surprising, really, Ubisoft and the people who actually get to pay for their games will be the ones to lose something with such measures, for pirates will get improved versions of their games, ones that work with no expiration date and regardless of being or not online.

I just think of pirates as a force of gaming nature now, unstoppable. Seriously I think they should just give up trying to protect games, like my earlier post stated waste of time and money + consumer aggravation. Those that think they finally beat pirates have probably just released a game no pirate thinks is worth the time

Also someone else comits suicide by piracy

:pirate:

In case you missed it first time...

Remember don't copy that floppy

Or he will haunt your nightmares.

(does that count as spam?)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this story:

Advance copies of the first two games to embrace the new solution--Assassin's Creed II PC and The Settlers 7 PC--recently arrived at PC Gamer, leading to the discovery that the games automatically shut down if temporarily disconnected from the Internet.

Article (short): http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62412

Wow. Just, wow.

Previously Ubisoft had claimed that the game will pause if the connection goes down, and you would still be able to save. It appears that's not the case.

Talk about punishing legitimate customers! I'm thinkin a lot of people who aren't even interested in Assassin's Creed will pirate it just to shove a big middle finger in Ubisoft's face. The scene group that cracks it will be like unto gods, even if it's an easy crack, they'll win bragging rights for being the first to flip the bird at Ubisoft's new scheme of customer punishment.

I already go stir-crazy enough when my net connection goes down, but to lose games too because of it? That's just too much. :verymad:

I am so fed up with the gaming industry..

Digital Copies.. Check

Internet connection requirements.. Check

You must be online to play single player... Check

If you are offline your DLC won't work... Check

You buy a retail copy of a game just to figure out the disc installs steam to play the game... Check

I am getting sick of this, sorry for the ranting I am just tired of being governed by games that I OWN! It started with the source games like Half-Life 2, now Dawn of war 2 and UBISOFT games. It is pathetic. People need to group up and protest against the game companies that are doing this: that way the message becomes clear. We vote with our dollar, so if the company can't provide us with the comfort we desire we will take our business ELSEWHERE!

:thanks:

More news: PCGamer managed to get an interview with a Ubisoft spokesperson. They made a point of avoiding all the important questions, however, so it doesn't say much.

My favourite bit:

PCG: What I think a lot of us would really like is a firm commitment that you understand our worries that the servers are going to go down and suddenly we've just got some trash data on our hard drives that we've paid for.

Ubisoft: The system is made by guys who love PC games. They play PC games, they are your friends.

I think I have a new quote for my sig...