Astronomy

Illiad86

The most impressive image I've seen in space is of Saturn's rings with the sun directly behind it.

Link to Web Site with higher-res images

DISCOVER: The Top Ten Astronomy Images of 2006

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2e9y75mHoZ0/R8dSTk-dIHI/AAAAAAAAAKU/hUFkwB6IejY/s1600/backlit%20saturn.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most impressive image I've seen in space is of Saturn's rings with the sun directly behind it.

Link to Web Site with higher-res images

DISCOVER: The Top Ten Astronomy Images of 2006

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2e9y75mHoZ0/R8dSTk-dIHI/AAAAAAAAAKU/hUFkwB6IejY/s1600/backlit%20saturn.jpg

It looks fake.....

I agree the whole planet is too radient

They used a ton of images in natural and ultraviolet light to create that. Of course it's tweaked a bit to make it more sharp and luminous. Looks fake but it's not...get the right camera, filters, and processing equipment and you'll get that :D

Was out today, just got home, got a few pictures of Mars, hope to process them and make a cool picture. The boyfriend had his first collumation hassle...oh what a pain in the butt when the primary mirror is so frosted, and it's not fun to do if the night isn't "good" enough. The moon kind of hindered that, it was so bright tonight :) So bright that it projected onto our hand from the scope when we took the eyepiece off. Saturn was very pretty, didn't get any decent shots before the telescope and us were too cold to move lol...-1 below zero again tonight, but there was less wind...but that cold shoots right through ya when your used to 75-80 F in your house like I have (old buildings, ugh!)

Good night, not too many pictures as it took the boyfriend a bit to get it collumated. Might have some pics up later on today (it's 1:48 a.m. here haha). I'm so tired...we came home last night from observing, I stayed up til 5 a.m. and woke up at 10 a.m. and have been up since. I wanted to sleep more so bad but we had a lot of errands to run before going out again tonight. I want to process them and edit them now, but I got like 6 beers in me...haha.

CommanderCrazy....what kind of 6,000 dollar telescope did you get that the "lens" were off? Remember, some scopes use lens (refractors) others use mirrors (my type, reflector) What brand was it? Did you have it properly collumated? You wouldn't believe how much better the clarity was after he figured out how to do it. Also, some scopes are just not meant for deep space...especially if they are small. You can pay 6 grand for a little 5 1/4" apochromatic refractor, you'll get slightly sharper images than you would with a SCT like ours, but not be able to see as far out as we can. Some come defective, those coatings they put on there have to be perfect and the mirror/lens has to be perfect. We all know what happened to Hubble ;)

To be honest, the scope and mount was $2700, camera was $665 (people use webcams more often as they are cheaper, but they don't take long exposures like DSLRs do, and the quality....ugh...plus you have to tear out the lens to get it to adapt to the scope), and we have about another $300 in accessories. We need to spend about another $300 to get a few more different sized eyepieces and a Crayford focuser...Schmidt Cassegrain telescopes have the good old "mirror flop" because the focuser is directly moving the primary mirror. Crayford would be a godsend for imaging...also have to make a shutter button releaser (slightest touch makes the scope vibrate, camera's mirror opening/shutting makes it vibrate too haha) ..something these jerks charge $50 for when all it's comprised of is a 2.5mm jack and a switch. We can make one right now with all the random computer parts we have laying around :P

It was a pretty expensive investment, but it's a lifelong investment :) We wanted to spend our money on something other than what most other folks would do with 4 grand. The boyfriend has always had an interest in space, I love it myself, it's so vast and beautiful and eerie. I got a lot more into it because I like to know what makes it all go, and physics/math was never my strongpoint. He explains it so well that anyone could understand it. Haha, he's kinda like Carl Sagan, except without the turtlenecks :P

Wow, ouch :( Must of got damaged while in the shipping process? Maybe they were a nanometer off on the mirror :P

Dude, where are you from lol, that thing doesn't cost no 6 grand here :P

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?Ca...9&ProdID=37

or did you get it when it first came out? Probably crazy expensive when it was...

Have you ever collimated it? I was wondering, not many people have any really good explanations online or in the manual. It was pretty frustrating, wasn't really a good night for it though.

Wow, ouch :( Must of got damaged while in the shipping process? Maybe they were a nanometer off on the mirror :P

Dude, where are you from lol, that thing doesn't cost no 6 grand here :P

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?Ca...9&ProdID=37

or did you get it when it first came out? Probably crazy expensive when it was...

Have you ever collimated it? I was wondering, not many people have any really good explanations online or in the manual. It was pretty frustrating, wasn't really a good night for it though.

Yeah, it got sorta damaged in the transport. Lucky it had a specific warranty for that :)

Im from AUS. Some great viewing here. Ill try an get pictures :yes:

It was sort of in the middle when I got it. Not new, Not old.

And I couldn't Collimate it. I dont know how.

ahh, yeah, they make it seem easy but ugh...they way they explain it, it's like Engrish or something haha

Ohhh...wow, man, yes you have to get some!! I've heard about such beautiful skies down there :) Southern Hemisphere has such cool stuff :)

Orion is pretty neat to look at, we got that :P I want to try and find the Sombrero Galaxy next night

I meant to say thank you for the pictures earlier, I like the moon one but I really like the one below it, very cool. In San Francisco at the Steinhart Aquarium California Academy Of Sciences they use to have a huge room like a theater and you could sit in it and it rotated at the same time the ceiling rotated and you could see the galaxy it was beautiful. Sadly I have not been there in some years but if you live in the area...