The Institute (Commonwealth of Mass.)

rjhelms84

UPDATE

Feature list:

-fully voiced and lip-synched NPC's

-new worldspaces, including new area; the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

-The Institute; faction run by scientists dedicated to the advancement of technology

-Two new factions: The Institute and The Railroad

-Alien artifact room, similar to something from Area 51

-Android factory, where Harkness was made

-dark, sci-fi theme, which may include custom background music

-new main quest

-some sidequests

-and more, as the ideas come in

Original Post - I'm thinking of doing a mod on the Institute in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, where they made the Android Harkness. You remember, it's where Dr. Zimmer is from, who you meet in Rivet City.

In the Commonwealth, there will be two main factions: The Institute, and the Railroad. You remember the Railroad, they were the ones supporting android rights, the Replicated Man Quest.

It has been suggested on the Fallout Wiki, that the Institute is most likely the former MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology). That would make sense, since we know it is located on the Hudson(?) River. You remember the boat driver from Point Lookout? He told us he used to travel to the Commonwealth along the river, when his boat was in better condition.

So right there, we have a good place to start the mod. There can be a quest to repair the boat, so it can handle the journey up north to the Commonwealth. I could also make it so the driver doesn't become hostile at the end of Point Lookout, and add some dialogue, so he can take us up north for a special price. Though we might have to kill him off anyway, and bring in a new driver, so I can do his voice.

EDITHere is a photo with Dr. Zimmer outside the Institute (MIT) main building (WIP).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/misterr84/theinstitute-1.jpg

Rob

Very interesting. This might be of use for you.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3157

I can help out with your mod (anything related to sounds, ambiance, custom soundtracks). If you need someone for Beta screenies, I'm also available.

Thanks. I'm going to be putting a lot of work into this mod now. New levels, quests, lipped dialogues. I want the mod to have a sci-fi feel to it, so if you did want to do some background music, that'd be great.

On the outside, the institute has a deserted feel to it, but on the inside it's advanced technology. I'm going to make the Director a Ghoul who is afraid to leave his office, due to his appearance. I will have him wearing the wig as well. The radiation has made him insane. So his technological genius + madness = you get the idea. There'll be an Android factory type place as well, where Harkness was made.

What I'm looking for the most right now is ideas. Maybe character ideas. I want to spend some time developing the characters. I especially want idea for what technologies they could be working on, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest watching the Blade Runner film first and foremost.

The main quest could revolve around a conflict between the Institute itself and the Railroad attempting to free all the Androids.

The player can then choose which side to take.

Try and make it a bit ambiguous though: not simply a "free the slaves or become a slaver" story. Force the player to decide whether or not these androids can be termed "human" or whether they are machines constructed for a purpose and no more.

The story here should be central.

What is important is the manner in which the player reaches the Institute and how the situation is first presented to him/her. First impressions, after all ....

E.G. very early on in the Pitt you get to see the brutality of the Pitt raiders towards the slaves, which may or may not colour your reaction to what Ashur is actually trying to achieve.

I'lll keep an eye on this - it has potential ...