Site updates: stability, premium donations, endorsements, downloading, apostrophes and full-stops

Dark0ne

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #15727915. #15732745, #15737375, #15752755 are all replies on the same post.

Because in order for the user's cache to be used they need to have visited the page and downloaded all 300 images already. In that regard it's highly inefficient and a massive bandwidth drain.

Similarly local caches are highly volatile and unreliable at best.

We've changed the way we serve manual downloads to you via the pop-up. While before when you went to download a file manually you would be presented with a list of file servers to choose from we are now moving to a quicker, more automated system that will pick the least over-loaded server from a geographic location you've specified in your preferences.

If I'd known this was coming, I wouldn't have fretted about the Required Files pop-up adding additional clicks to the manual download process. :wink:

Thanks very much for adding this very handy feature!

Hello! Sorry for asking this, but I do have a question regarding the endorsement reminders. I decided to disable the rating reminders (well, set it to never remind me, anyway). However, although I don't see the pop-ups randomly, they have appeared when I go to download a file. Is this intentional or a bug? I'm not sure, although I do sort of hope it's a bug. I was hoping that by modifying my preferences, it would stop the reminders. Any clarification would be lovely. Thank you.

I have noticed that a lot of the mods I track got a lot more endorsements in a rather short time. Just a couple minutes ago, I was looking at a tracked file and I noticed that it has twice as many endorsements as it had just a week ago. At first, I was thinking to report the file, but then I saw the news on the front page. What can I say? Great job, it works! Edited by Pushkatu

In response to post #15745460.

I had similar thoughts here. A mod's download rate used to mean how appealing that mod looked before trying it, in other words a marketing isue, while endorsements used to mean how satisfied players were with the mod after trying it.

Now, endorsements will be a direct result of downloads. If you managed to make your mod have widelly downloadded, as far as you didn't screw things in the mod to the extent of players activelly opposing to endorse it, you'll get a lot of endorsements.

From modders point of view, this will make endorsements worth nothing. From players point of view, you won't be able use the endorsements to decide if a mod deserves a download anymore.

I'm not sure why people is so happy about their mods endorsements fast increase, they used to have golden endorsements and now they have gilded endorsements. More in numbers but less meaningful as time passes.

In response to post #15757540.

The endorsement reminder is the window that pops up no matter what you're doing on the site that lets you know there are mods in your download history that you haven't endorsed. It is not the endorsement info that shows when you go to download a file, for which there is no option to turn it off and there are no plans to offer such an option.