Simple question.

Alastair91

Just checked Forum Rules and Strikes section, a guy was banned due to spamming in the other forums. If you're "active" in the Off-topic section, especially posts like Ban for Fun and word association, don't that count as spamming too? I'm very confused about spamming issue.

The examples you stated are considered games / creative post-count booster threads (for the ones that even add a post-count), they are not spam in the strictest definition because they have a topic and people stick to those topics (for the most part). Spam is saying something in a thread that is not related to the topic and contributes nothing to the conversation. On some forums, quoting someone just to type "lol" is considered spam.

It is also spam to try to use the site for free advertising, which has been happening a lot here in the last few weeks. There are tons of things that can be considered spam, and unfortunately quite a few of those things are conditional, meaning the moderator has to determine for themselves if it is or is not, and we may not always agree as members. They attempt to rectify this by always posting reasons and giving links so no one can say they were picked unfairly... well they can say it but it's hard to argue with proof.

I would like the moderators to answer this if possible.

Then you probably should have PM'd one of them. Bringing up something in public that is meant only for a moderator is not only spam, but it's gotten people banned in the past.

Have you not seen the reason that guy was banned for?

As long as you stay on topic and don't double/triple post for no good reason you'll be fine.

I am not the moderator, but I am sure that the guy was post count hunting which means he posted a lot of comments at very little time. I PMed the Alienslof asking her why did he get banned, but if I were you I wouldn't worry much about it. Besides lounge doesn't give you post count right?

No you won't get banned in the off topic forum it's more like spamming the more important threads for example File Request/Suggestion or Mod Troubleshooting the things that some people need :D

The examples you stated are considered creative post-count booster threads, they are not spam in the strictest definition because they have a topic and people stick to those topics (for the most part). Spam is saying something in a thread that is not related to the topic and contributes nothing to the conversation. On some forums, quoting someone just to type "lol" is considered spam.

It is also spam to try to use the site for free advertising, which has been happening a lot here in the last few weeks. There are tons of things that can be considered spam, and unfortunately quite a few of those things are conditional, meaning the moderator has to determine for themselves if it is or is not, and we may not always agree as members. They attempt to rectify this by always posting reasons and giving links so no one can say they were picked unfairly... well they can say it but it's hard to argue with proof.

Then you probably should have PM'd one of them. Bringing up something in public that is meant only for a moderator is not only spam, but it's gotten people banned in the past.

Yeah, now thinking back, I should have just PM the moderators. Sorry, my mistake, not going to happen again. Thank you for the answers. :thumbsup:

Did you not notice the link to his post history which showed exactly what kind of posts he was making, and the timing on them?

It's all that you've been told by the seasoned members above, coupled with a consistent lack of relevance, or otherwise consistent behavior.

If you've brought something to the conversation, but occasionally go a bit off topic, or if you don't post very often or are new, we generally cut a lot of slack. But when the behavior is consistent and pointless it's hard to keep looking past.

Did you not notice the link to his post history which showed exactly what kind of posts he was making, and the timing on them?

It's all that you've been told by the seasoned members above, coupled with a consistent lack of relevance, or otherwise consistent behavior.

If you've brought something to the conversation, but occasionally go a bit off topic, or if you don't post very often or are new, we generally cut a lot of slack. But when the behavior is consistent and pointless it's hard to keep looking past.

Okay, thank you so much. I understand now, thanks for clearing that up.