Need help loading mod in geck to edit...

metalman21

Without a bit more information on specifically what's happening (or not happening) I can only guess what your problem is. So here is my generic answer:

If you have Vista or Windows7, AND you installed your game in the default directory, then you will never see the mod in the data folder.

The GECK is NOT part of the game so the OS sees it as a virus or trojan program trying to change FO3 game files. This is not allowed by the OS.

Solution? Pick one of these:

1. Install your game to your Root C: drive. Like C:\Games\Fallout3\

2. Remove the security from your OS so it can join the XP computer ranks and become a Zombie computer.

3. In your \Fallout3\Data\ folder, look at the top right. There should be a button called 'Compatibility Files'. Click that to find your mod. You can then copy it from there to your Data folder.

4. Run the GECK in Administrator mode. Right-click on the icon and select, Run as Administrator.

Without a bit more information on specifically what's happening (or not happening) I can only guess what your problem is. So here is my generic answer:

If you have Vista or Windows7, AND you installed your game in the default directory, then you will never see the mod in the data folder.

The GECK is NOT part of the game so the OS sees it as a virus or trojan program trying to change FO3 game files. This is not allowed by the OS.

Solution? Pick one of these:

1. Install your game to your Root C: drive. Like C:\Games\Fallout3\

2. Remove the security from your OS so it can join the XP computer ranks and become a Zombie computer.

3. In your \Fallout3\Data\ folder, look at the top right. There should be a button called 'Compatibility Files'. Click that to find your mod. You can then copy it from there to your Data folder.

4. Run the GECK in Administrator mode. Right-click on the icon and select, Run as Administrator.

sorry i did not clarify, my main problem is that i cannot get my homemade mods loaded in geck to re-edit them.

when i try to load them, they don't show up... (in geck)

Because i was building my vault and i noticed that it would not let me load my mod back in the geck the next day.

any information i would greatly appreciate it. :thanks:

Part of your problem could be that you are not setting an active file, setting the active file is very important when working on a big mod. Once you start the mod imidiatly save then exit, reload the g.e.c.k find your mod and set as active file. If your problem persists re-install your fallout 3 into programs files not programfilesx86 this is what happened to me.

Contact me fo further help if your problem persists.

If I get you correctly, you are able to start the Geck and make and save an esp. But the next time you load the geck, you don't see your mod to even set it as the Active File. If so, my generic answert was probably right. So try to run the Geck as Administrator (right click onthe icon and select Run as Administrator). Or even better, reinstall FO3 into a folder that is not under Program Files, like C:\games\fallout3.

If I get you correctly, you are able to start the Geck and make and save an esp. But the next time you load the geck, you don't see your mod to even set it as the Active File. If so, my generic answert was probably right. So try to run the Geck as Administrator (right click onthe icon and select Run as Administrator). Or even better, reinstall FO3 into a folder that is not under Program Files, like C:\games\fallout3.

You are almost RIGHT on the money but the wierd thing is that it shows up in the mod list in geck, and i can set it as an active file...but i just can't seem to get the mod loaded when the main fallout 3 esm file loads...go figure.... :rolleyes:

i am running fo3 on both of my systems...one on my compaq and mainly on my new laptop i bought equiped with...

Gateway NV53 Laptop

Windows 7 64 Bit

RAM: 4Gig

Processor: 2.00 Ghz

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4200 Graphics9 with up to 19198 MB of HyperMemory™ (256 MB of dedicated system memory, up to 1663 MB of shared system memory), supporting Unified Video Decoder 2(UVD2), OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 4.0, Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1

Are you using the FO launcher? When you click on Data Files, do you see your mod listed there? Can you tick it? Then when the game starts, your mod is still not loaded? If that is the case, I have never heard of that. It still sounds like a UAC issue to me. If so, all UAC issues are resolved by installing the game into a folder NOT under Program Files.

If you do not see your mod in Data Files, then either try running the game as Admin or try solution #3 from my above post or do the re-install like I suggeted before in solution #1.

If you have tried all of these and you still don't see your mod from the launcher, then I am stumped.

Are you using the FO launcher? When you click on Data Files, do you see your mod listed there? Can you tick it? Then when the game starts, your mod is still not loaded? If that is the case, I have never heard of that. It still sounds like a UAC issue to me. If so, all UAC issues are resolved by installing the game into a folder NOT under Program Files.

If you do not see your mod in Data Files, then either try running the game as Admin or try solution #3 from my above post or do the re-install like I suggeted before in solution #1.

If you have tried all of these and you still don't see your mod from the launcher, then I am stumped.

i loaded one of my own mods (basically had taken the frame of an object and modified it) and was messing around and it started working!!!

Thank You Everyone For All Of Your Help And Taking The Time Out Of Your Day To Answer My Needed Questions, Again I Thank You Soooo Much.......KUDOS FOR EVERYONE ! ! ! :thumbsup: