FOSE

KottonKing

Do I use FOMM to install FOSE?

I'm going to install the RTS mod.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=7070

It requires FOSE AND ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated. I installed ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated already but I don't want to go any further until I know what to do with FOSE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

No, you don't need to use FOMM to install FOSE.

Make sure you update your game to the latest patch (version 1.7 for GOTY edition, other patch versions for specific DLC's) for FOSE to be compatible. To get a clearer understanding on how to install FOSE, read this:

http://planetfallout.gamespy.com/articles/...-Mods-for-Newbs

It has pictured tutorials.

Let me rephrase my question. Does FOSE need to be installed using either the manual method or FOMM? I'm not a newbie at this I just want to make sure whether I am to install FOSE like any other mod. I have never used FOSE for Fallout or OBSE for Oblivion.

And let me rephrase my answer. No, you don't need to use FOMM to install FOSE. It depends on what FOSE type you've downloaded, if it is a non-FOMM installer, then do it manually, if not then use FOMM. It's the same no matter you installed it manually or through FOMM package. The link explained it all clearly (maybe not, just explains manual way).

I know you're not a newbie considering the amount of posts and kudos you have. The link is just for reference, please do not misunderstand. Other members might have the same question and could use it as a reference too.

This also has another advantage:

If you don't use FOMM, you don't need to mess around with the load order.

You only need the default laucher just to activate your mods once by ticking them on.

Then you just can quit the launcher without starting fallout and run fallout via the fose_loader.exe (I'd suggest to make a shortcut to your desktop and change the Icon)

If you have Fallout version 1.7, this works actually great. :thumbsup:

All you need is

Fallout (patched 1.7)

the latest FOSE

AI-Invalidated

This should be a good start

How is "messing around with the load order" a bad thing?

This depends how you see it.

One may think:

"Wow, FOMM gives me the possibility to change my load order. Awesome feature, need it, want it, love it, ..."

Another one might say:

"Damn! Why I have to do stuff like THIS? I just want to play the game, not with FOMM"

So to speak the same thing that might be a feature for one might just be unnecessary for another.

And a desktopshortcut is realy no big deal.

blindly messing with loadorder can lead to trouble quickly but FOMM is very good tool to have for any wanting to use Fallout3 mods. But like any tool one needs to learn how to use it effectively.

One may think:

"Wow, FOMM gives me the possibility to change my load order. Awesome feature, need it, want it, love it, ..."

Another one might say:

"Damn! Why I have to do stuff like THIS? I just want to play the game, not with FOMM"

this is true, to a point. but FOMM now has a feature that let's one export/import their loadorder so one needs only to adjust the order once even for one using more than one character (unless more mods are added) & the more mods added the more useful control over loadorder becomes