Player character

Bernt

Just thought I had everything up and running. Arch. Inv. and all. Exnem body working and everything. So I loaded a lot of mods. And suddenly my PC turns into a big red exclamation mark in 3rd person view. And a lot of annoying red lines in 1st person. PC is a general save, fresh out of the vault. Looks good to start with. But when I begin to move it turns red/white. Also if I load a Megaton scene. It seems to be only outdoors. If I go indoor, Megaton or one of the hideouts I've downloaded it's back to normal. As soon as I go outside it's all red/white again. So I was wondering if it could be a terrain mod (McNeills) that I have put in. Can it affect the PC only, and not the NPCs?

I could be possible for terrain mod to cause that. Missing meshes can affect both PC and NPCs. I suggest reinstalling your mods, when dragging and dropping files, do not copy the whole 'data' folder and then pasting it, some files may not be copied over, I had that problem when installing mods bigger than 100mb. Open up the data folder, then drop the stuff inside one by one, 'textures', 'sounds', 'meshes' etc....

After reinstalling, remember to toggle archive invalidation again.

If all fails, it might be a game update problem, make sure you have the latest patch (version 1.7) if you're using GOTY edition, if you have specific DLC's, then check for their patch requirements and download the specific patch version.

If anyone is still reading this thread. I re-installed the game and started installing and testing my mods -one by one. Tedious work, I have lots. But I finally found the culprit : "Enhanced weather". I run "Fellout" with no problems, but enter EW!! My PC goes all red and white. The odd thing is, that it did not happen, when I was playing the game in Vista. Anyway, the problem is solved, but I miss my EW.

Red and white probably because of missing meshes, I have Enhance weather but do not encounter any problem with it.

Whenever you install a big mod (more than 100mb estimated), you shouldn't drag and drop the whole data folder, should do copy the files inside individually (sound, meshes, textures, etc...). Dragging and dropping the whole folder only gives you trouble, not all files are transferred, I have learned my lesson on this when I tried installing Mart's mutagen Mod the manual way, lots of stuff missing, purple ghouls, floating dog eyes, etc... when I play the game. I just reinstalled the mod by dropping the files one by one, then everything turned out okay. Yeah, remember you must toggle archive invalidation.

You shouldn't drag and drop. That way files may end up in the wrong place. E.G. you might accidentally drop the Data folder into another, incorrect, folder.

I find it is best to Copy then Paste into the correct directory. E.G. copy a mods Meshes folder and Paste it into your Fallout3/Data folder.

If you want to uninstall you can keep the mods original folder on your desktop for reference ...

Thanks for the good advice, both of you. Apaosha: that's what I usually do. Copy and paste. That way I do not have to do all the downloads again :rolleyes:

I just saw that EW has come out in a FOMOD version. I'm going to try that one using FOMM. Should be fool proof -I hope :unsure:

Just call me a stubborn mule :rolleyes: I tried a couple more things. And when I left out the Hotfix and radioactive rain (didn't like that anyway) Then it worked like a charm.