Virus problems here?

JackTrenton

The virus warnings don't list the source, it always says it's from a malicious webpage. The actual source is always listed as <unknown>, then it closes the browser. So all I can do is copy the URLs that appear in my history after it happens.

deslumbra(dot)net is another of these URLs.

Maybe this helps and maybe it doesn't, but I've had false positives with Norton (which I have abandoned because to me it is completely unreliable) and a free program called Avira or something.

Both have been scrapped in place of Microsoft Security Essentials, which is actually a great free program.

This problem is related to a bad advertiser somewhere down the chain. Most small/independent sites will make use of third-parties to sell their advertising inventory as they have no time or social capital to strike deals with individual companies themselves. You actually deal with 2 or more third-parties that works in a chaining system; the first company will be your exclusive company that you give all your ad inventory to. They utilise it the best they can but some of the inventory they won't be able to show ads for either because they have none, they've reached their cap or the user isn't from a geographic location they're interested in, so that ad inventory gets passed on to a second company. Rinse and repeat as much as you want down a chain in format: Exclusive (first) ad company -> company #2 -> company #3 -> company #4 ... End.

Ideally you chain your companies in order of how good/effective/profitable they are, but in turn some of these companies might send some of your inventory to chains of their own, and this is where problems start. If they outsource some of your inventory to a company that isn't as reputable or stringent on their safety standards as the ones you've picked then you run in to problems. This will be what has happened here.

If you would actually like to help troubleshoot this problem then providing me with as much information as possible will be a great help. A screenshot of the ad in question and any URLs related to it would also be super helpful. I've already been on the phone to my ad agent(s) and spoken to them about it and we're all investigating it now.

You can use an adblocker if you want but obviously becoming a premium member (who see no ads on the site) would be preferable. Advertising income and premium membership are absolutely paramount to keeping the site(s) a float and people using adblockers are essentially leeching off the site. What with the sites making use of 8 different dedicated servers and serving 70TB of bandwidth at a constant 450mbit the bills are up to about $4000/month right now :)

Remember to keep your anti-virus and firewall up-to-date as well.