⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Modding XCOM under Linux

wghost81

What development engine version was used to create the Linux version?

For Enemy Unknown Windows it was Version 8916 (reported in UE Explorer)

For Enemy Within Windows some files report Version 8917, but most still show 8916

These correspond with the September 2011 UDK release, which also build packages with Version 8916.

Would be interesting to see if they were rebuilt with a newer version of UDK.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated the wiki article.

From what I can tell, native Linux UDK support did not arrive until the April 2014 release of the UE4.1 UDK. The Sep 2011 UE3 UDK did provide support for Mac OS X, and such could be hand ported to Linux. In the meantime, UE3 UDK will apparently need to be run under WINE. For those interested, links to that information are in the article.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

There are a few things that LongWar does that perhaps other mods don't do :

1) Changes how some of the config files are structured / used.

Some of the usages of variables are quite different from what they are used for in vanilla. BalanceMods, for example is greatly expanded and used to configure difficulty, upgrade, and leader/navigator stats for aliens. The SoldierPerkTrees size has also been greatly expanded. It's possible that this large-scale re-configuration is somehow causing a problem when the game launches and attempts to update the config files in the My Games folder (where they live on Windows -- I'm don't know for Linux)

2) Changes how savefiles are saved/loaded

Long War makes some changes to Checkpoint Record files. However these changes are all located in XComGame.upk. The only one present since beta 1 is a change for the ammo mod, changing the XGWeapon Checkpoint Record so that m_iTurnSaved is saved/loaded instead of iOverheatChance.

Subsequent beta versions have changed a couple more Checkpoint Record files :

- beta 10 changed XGInventoryItem to save/load m_eType instead of m_eReservedSlot (saving the item/weapon type to allow dynamic creating of new XGWeapon classes)

- beta 12 changed XGUnit to save/load m_iWillCheatBonus instead of m_iCovertOpKills to support changes to mindmerge ability

Windows and Linux configuration files are identical, so there shouldn't be any problems with those.

Will the game crash if you remove MyDocuments->MyGames files first? (Don't have access to windows now, can't check for myself.)

ini and checkpoint changes are big, but "legal" in terms of UE scripting. Does LW still use "borrowed" variables? Or some other "illegal" operations? I'm trying to determine some direction which I can investigate. Right now I don't even know where to look. :sad:

Hi guys, I'm back from teh naphthalene. Anyway I migrated completely to Linux almost year ago and I'm happy to see xcom released for our favorite OS. I used to mod things for xcom in wins however I completely forgot how - it included both hex editing and bokauks tool I believe. COuld someone give me a quick run through how to mess with sex and nationality ratios if it's possible under Linux?