⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Modding XCOM under Linux

wghost81

Hmmm, problem with rewriting entire script is that I actually don't see the script code. I know the script since someone posted it so I search for corresponding number values in hex code and then alter them. Rewriting a part of the script is another story altogether. Could you help me do it?

Edited by Amphibious

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amphibious, were you able to run UE Explorer under wine? It's a powerful tool to decompile UE scripts and, most important in our case, to see corresponding script tokens. It will require 32-bit wine to run and, probably, some additional libraries.

I'm traveling with the family now, so I don't have any modding tools at my disposal. :smile:

Amphibious, were you able to run UE Explorer under wine? It's a powerful tool to decompile UE scripts and, most important in our case, to see corresponding script tokens. It will require 32-bit wine to run and, probably, some additional libraries.

I'm traveling with the family now, so I don't have any modding tools at my disposal. :smile:

I didn't and want to avoid it if possible since I had problems with it last time. I will try to work around it first if possible. No problem, thanks anyway.

Hi Guys,

Any news about runnig Longwar in Linux ?

BTW: Wghost, could you include the build instructions from the forum in your git repo. Its easier to find that way :-)

I Read on other mods, that you need a special program for enabling mods, as i understand it it changes some hex code in the executable that the md5sum or whatever are not compared. Could this be also needed for lw mod ?

Thanks

Manux123, I'm working on it. jonnylump gave me access to LW "source code" so I could try to find what's causing CTD. Linux version skips hash check and reads ini files directly, so there's no need to edit executable.

I will work on github documentation when I have time, I promise. :smile:

hi ghost, I've been doing some ini file modding last few days. it's pretty straightforward. however I'm am interested is there way to make an item like i.e. medikit consumable instead of it being permanent? imo that would be great addition to the game but i see no apparent way of doing it.

Edited by Amphibious

Making items consumable is a bit tricker than it seems at first glance.

Mechanically, what has to happen is applying a mod that changes the vanilla system. In vanilla items are kept in STORAGE().m_arrItems even when equipped to soldiers. Instead when items are claimed they get added to a separate STORAGE().m_arrClaimedItems array, indicating that the item has been claimed and so can't be equipped to another soldier. For Long War I've deprecated the claimed items array and instead adjust m_arrItems when the item is claimed or released. Once that is done, the soldier's TInventory in the tactical game would have to be adjusted once an item is used.

However, there are some significant design issues at play here. For example, when a soldier with the Field Medic perk equips a medikit, they get 3 charges from 1 Medikit. Is the Medikit consumed after using 1 charge? 2 charges? Or all 3? Similarly if a soldier with the Grenadier perk equips an Alien grenade they get 2 charges from the one grenade. If they equip 2 Alien grenades they get a total of 4 charges. In such a situation when is the item counted as consumed? Adding consumable items means further required design changes to the perks that affect number of charges per item. In the end, for Long War, we decided that it just wasn't worth it to add consumable items, even though it's technically possible.