[HELP] Low-Res textures even on Ultra Settings

Darkstarrdp

With a clean install of Fallout3 images such as the pip-boy 3000 look crisp and clear on Ultra settings, yet, when I install some mods from fallout nexus the pip-boy's textures look gawd aweful.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/darkstarrdp/misc%20stuff/ScreenShot0.jpg

As you can see the text is all blurry above the buttons, I just don't know whats causing this. Heres a list of my mods I have running at the moment and their load order.

Fallout3.esm

Fallout3.exe

PointLookout.esm

Anchorage.esm

ThePitt.esm

BrokenSteel.esm

Zeta.esm

CALIBR.esm

20th Century Weapons.esm

Project Beauty HD version.esm

DIM TYPE3 conversion.esp

DIM TYPE3clothesRETAIL.esp

3EFdrg.exp

NAPA.esp

20th Century v5 ALIVE (vendor).esp

20th Century v5 ALIVE (Containers).esp

20th Century v5 ALIVE (NPC_Settler).esp

20th Century v5 ALIVE (Vault101).esp

20th Century v5 ALIVE (RivetCity).esp

20th Century v5 ALIVE (Raider).esp

20th Century v5 ALIVE (Slaver).esp

20th Century v5 ALIVE (Chinese Ghoul).esp

20th Century v5 ALIVE (SuperMutant).esp

20th Century v5 ALIVE (Talon_Regulator).esp

20th Century v5 ALIVE (Brotherhood_Outcast).esp

20th Century v5 ALIVE (TEST Container).esp

UPP - Pack 1.esp

UPP - Pack 2.esp

UPP - Original Perks.esp

UPP - Experience Perks.esp

UPP - Beverage Perks.esp

UPP - Quest Perks.esp

Fellout-Full.esp

Fellout-BrokenSteel.esp

Fellout-Lookout.esp

Fellout-Zeta.esp

Fellout-pipboylight.esp

Project Beauty.esp

Raider preset beta.esp

Choose your own hairstyle (load this last on FOMM).esp

Whats causing my game to do this? Any suggestions?

It is not mod related. Are you sure your settings are set to ultra high (even your texture settings?)? Try checking it again with your default Fallout 3 launcher and then options. You need to save the settings by pressing "okay" and not "cancel".

These are the setting I have right now, maybe they need tweeked.

Aspect Ratio: Standard

Resolution: 1600x1200

Antialiasing: 4 Samples

Anisotropic Filtering: 15 Samples

Mode: Vertical Sync

Screen Effects: HDR

Advanced Settings are:

Detail

Texture Quality: High

Radial Blur Quality: High

Depth of Field: on

Transparency Multisampling: on

Decal Cap: 10

Water

Water Refractions: on

Water Reflections: on

Reflection Quality: High

Soft Reflections: on

Full Scene Reflections: on

Water Deplacement: on

Depth Fog: on

Water Multisampling: High

Shadows

Enable Shadows: on

Shadow Quality: High

Shadow Filtering: High

Max Interior Shadows: 6

Max Exterior Shadows: 6

View Distance

Object Fade: 15

Light Fade: 35

Actor Fade: 15

Item Fade: 15

Grass Fade: 7

Shadow Fade: 10

Specularity Fade: 20

Distant LOD

Tree LOD Fade: 40

Object LOD Fade: 50

Land Quality: 150

All sliders are set to max on everything, everything except Antialiasing is maxed too.

UPDATE

So after restarting and getting all the way out of vault 101 this is what it looks like, I've installed all the textures and everything to correct folders I thought. Pretty sure, I mean, I'm not a newb to modding, I've extensively modded Oblivion.

but this is what I'm getting :(

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/darkstarrdp/misc%20stuff/ScreenShot1.jpg

Man, I just don't know whats going on...

I completely un-installed Fallout 3 and cleaned out the mods in the folder. Re-installed a fresh copy directly from dvd.

Still, it seems to be messed up. This is what I'm getting on my fresh install play-through.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/darkstarrdp/misc%20stuff/ScreenShot0-1.jpg

The Pip-boy still looks terrible.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/darkstarrdp/misc%20stuff/ScreenShot1-1.jpg

So does the rocks outside of Vault 101.

So why are my graphics so horrible. I know I have a system easily capable of running Fallout 3 as I've played it once before without mods and it looked spectacular. Outside I get an average of 50-60fps, inside it'll just another 20 or so to 80fps.

Why doesn't my game look pretty anymore. My Pip-boy used to show up like this picture here (snagged it from the Real Injuries v3.0.2 screeny page), why is it so washed out and gritty now?

http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/images/834-1-1228363274.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions what so ever to help my problem please tell me. It really puts a damper on the emmersiveness of this game seeing texturally washed out rocks and things everywhere.

Might be something to do with your graphics card. Try updating your video card driver to the latest ones. By the way, does this only affect Fallout 3? It would help if you could confirm by starting up other games on your PC, test them out. If the textures are the same for your other games, then it's your graphic's card.

uh purge your prefetch folder which is in the windows folder (but don't go there if you don't know what you are doing)

Then um, the texture size/quality is probably in-game, also in the default launcher, and maybe even some of it in the fallout.ini configs files (two notepad config files which is where we tweek stuff. Something could be messed up in there. So if you do purge the prefetch, then you should try to change the config.ini notepad files. Which are located in my documents/games/fallout 3 The tweek guide goes over what most of that stuff means.

Which is @ http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_1.html

Then also there are files in there like render-info or something like that. Don't know too much about it, but I do know that most times they system will rebuild it if it doesn't find those files at launch, which the render-info sort of updates itself on the fly, but that doesn't mean it's going to fix itself. So anyway when players mess up the files at my documents/games/fallout 3 too much, they usually will either delete them or move them somewhere else (as a backup) then launch the game an make it rebuild them, which if you launch via the default launcher or autorun, it will do that detecting settings for your system thing as well.

A while back two other people had the same problem, so you might search down thru the tech support here, an find those posts an see how they fixed it. Then also you could contact bethesda support, or look in the common problems. I'll see if I can find those other posts.

*edit* Okay so I found the old posts, one never got figured out, an the other person said it fixed itself (that it was probably the video card) Which is silly if you ask me, if it was the video card it would do it for all games. Anyhow, hmmm run the 1.7 patch again, why not. Check the .ini files, maybe delete them, maybe purge the prefetch, clean the registry, defrag, get drivers, try starting new games, you know all the normal stuff, until you run out of stuff, Last time someone had this problem it ended with me just telling them to contact Bethesda Support.

To Heyy_Adrian - Well, I tried out SPORE Galactic Adventures, Everything is running flawlessly, also tried Dragon Age Origins, and Elder Scrolls: Shivering Isles (since they use the same engine), with the same results as SPORE perfect.

So I guess it isn't my graphics card, I'm going to update from 9.12 of Catalyst Control Center to 10.1 which is the newest for my card to see if that helps anything. (My cards a SHAPPHIRE ATi Radeon 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 8X AGP) (( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102730 )) Which works fantastically on this old rig lol.

Other stats are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz Overclocked to 3.6 GHz

G.SKILL PI Black 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

and I'm running Fallout from a 74 Gig Western Digital Raptor (10k rpm) Sata HDD

My system used to run Fallout 3 flawlessly my first play-through, It's just been the past few days when I dusted it off and tried it with mods that it's decided to mess up.

To mechine - I haven't tried purging the prefetch folder yet, though I have deleted my .ini's in my documents and let Fallout 3 create new ones just so I would have a fresh copy in case something in there was screwing things up. After that didn't work I just uninstalled everything, deleted all the left over files and folders so everything was nice and clean and did a completely fresh install of Fallout 3 (second post of pics above). Though as you can tell that didn't help either.

So, if the problem isn't with the Graphics Card, the .ini's in My Docs / Games (since I deleted them before the fresh install) and the left over files and folders I cleaned up after un-instillation, then what could it be? (other then the prefetch folder since I haven't cleaned that out.)

Is there anything else that gets backed up? Something that I'm missing that could be causing the problem?

EDIT: I just deleted everything in the prefetch folder containing to Fallout, I loaded up the game but it didn't seem to help any =(

Just trying to give you guys as much information as I can, sorry for the constant updates and run on sentences lol.

uh.. delete the config.ini files, delete the render info, purge the prefetch, launch the defaut launcher (detecting system settings)

Then mess with the Config.ini an the default launcher settings. I know for sure that sometimes it doesn't refresh between the two. Which would mean that the render doesn't either all the time. hence why that person said "it fixed itself" I had the decals set an somehow between the defaut launcher an the config.ini it didn't refresh. I wasn't really tweeking anything just openned it an saved, an used the default launcher options a few times until it had refreshed.

I've also had Grapics drivers which wouldn't ever save the settings, no matter what. Which is kind of the same thing, but not your problem. So just trying a bunch of times to open an save the Config.ini folders an then the default launcher or ingame settings, might get it to fix itself. As well as removing the stuff in the saves folder which isn't actual save games. That's all options in-game like what color the HUD is, but large texture size would be in there as well. Keep messing with those, until you are ready to contact bethesda support.

The prefetch thing is just making the application launch from the actual space it's writen on the hard drive. Prefetch is a way of speeding that up. Folks say it's a good idea to purge the prefetch every so often, but not like as much as temp internet files.

• 10 months later...
First I feel a little sorry about bumping this thread but I found a fix. The only difference is that I got it in New Vegas. I was looking through the forums looking for the answer but I didn't find one. I did fix it on my own, I fixed it by going to the Catalyst Control Center-Graphics-Mip Map settings and turned it all the way to max. I hope this fixes it for you and anyone else who happens to get this problem.