What game would you design!

LordWushin

I, too, would like a new System Shock out there. I loved Bioshock, but there certainly was room for improvement. I'd do the same thing those guys did; namely take the basic concept (enclosed hostile enviroment in space/bottom of the sea where things gone awfully awry lately) and try out new directions and styles.

The main concept in my look-a-like game (Kazashock, perhaps? Cash-in-shock?) would be that guns would be nothing but a very rare commodity, and the focus would be on mêlée-combat and evasion. As long as it would have the player always leaning across doorways, walking softly and pausing evey minute to listen for enemy movement. The player would be the weakest entity in the game, armed only with his wits and abilities.

The enviroment could be a stranded starship or, to be pretend-original, a station on some kind of ice planet were venturing outside without proper gear would have you freeze to death in minutes. Either way, I'd like to have the area designed to look more homely. Rather than metal panels, grey steel bulkheads and neon tubes, it would have potted plants, carpets, decorative wooden panels, ornamented ceiling... Like if you took an 19'th century apartmentflat and shot it out in space. Of course, vandalism was what hooked me in when I played the Bioshock demo, so being able to smash and throw around the lovely furniture would be a core part. Imagine fending off an enemy with a comfy chair, before opening up for a finishing wrench-blow with a potted plant.

Except for the odd pistol, the mêlée-weapon and the ability to throw furniture around like if you were a drunk, furious housewife at 4am, your character would be a psycic. Clearing objectives, exploring and, perhaps, defeating some sort of optional boss would award you with experience, which you then can use to purchase more or better variants of your abilities, along with upgrades to your health or skills. A leveling system, in other words. This would only be possible in one or two locations per deck, a safe room to unwind for a moment and take in what you've learnt. It could also be a cache of books or other knowledge on the subject, depending on which would fit the theme best.

The story could revolve around research of the human mind and psycic powers. This could in turn get the attention of ancient creatures who are not very thrilled about humans messing around with such dangerous toys, who promptly invade the facility. This also turns all unprotected human minds into slush, making them idle drones to the hive mind and turn on the player. At first, your goal is just to get out of the predicament, but there could be room for the story to expand.

The intro sequence and tutorial would simply be the player walking around the place before the disaster, learning basic controls and combat, then fighting a supposed-to-loose fight against the invaders before hiding in a fridge until things settle down and the main game begins.

As usual, just idle ideas, but I'd love to make this game if I, say, won the lottery.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still have my copy but nothing to run it on ....

You don't have a PC?

i only have windows 7 and vista OP systems right now , i`m guessing system shock 2 will not run at all...... i bet i will hate the way the game looks and plays now as well..........

System Shock 2 also seems to not like XP. At least, it didn't like my friend's XP machine. Or his Win 7 machine. We tried everything we could think of short of setting up a virtual machine running an older Windows.

It ran fine on 2000 Server when I played it on my old computer though. I've never tried it on my current XP desktop or laptop though.

Given the vast similarities between 2k and XP, it's kind of puzzling that it runs on 2k but not XP.

Pfft, I would be designing Call of Duty MW7 : Return of Mahkarov. Plus there would be a prologue about how Soap got his name >:D no not really, I would be developing something of freeplay, like Just Cause but with interchangeable player models ( 4 then DLC ), 3rd and 1st person. Farcry 2 first person, because for some reason you dont have legs in other games o.O. Oh yeah, vehicles would be Unreal Tournament style, Just 'Cause I like it that way.

Oh yeah and I would design it with blender just to p*$$ Autodesk off :D...

Or maybe Ultimate Detail point system.