Games causing violence...?

Darmoth

oh god... don't get me started on this AGAIN.......

games are an OUTLET!!!!!!!!!! In my opinion, violent games such as GTAIII provide gamers with a way to take out there frustrations by sniping off the heads of a few cops. Don't get me wrong, by no means do I condone violence of any sort (to a point :D ), but thats my opinion.

Exactly. I am pretty much of a pascifist in real life, but I like GTA from time to time, I play warhammer, and love to play paintball and lasertag too, have been doing karate and might do fencing someday.

ok so basically this idea that games cause serial killers is total BS :angry:

i mean seriously i have this smart friend, all these ppl pick on him, he could take me' all but doesnt cause he doesnt want to get kicked out of school. But any way, what he does is he goes home and plays, i think it's goldeneye on his n64 :lol: and takes his anger out on them emptying a round of lead into everybody's hed

So really it is a way to relieve stress and anger. but for hell's sake, what kind of crazy angel drives over grannies and is cruel to animals. :angry:

in my opinion it is the world that forces killing.

mmmm... the sweet embrace of the morrowind gaming world................ DIE YOU FETCHER :lol:

I agree with Theta. The "games causing violence" group in merely a subset of what I refer to as the anti-fun party. There are those that simply believe that people should not enjoy themselves. If something is fun, there must be something wrong with it, therefore it must be banned. The examples are legion.

Its hard to say something wich isnt already stated here, but I agree. Computors are not the problem. It is the society in many ways. I belive that pepole are doing wicked things because they are wicked to start with, not because of them playing games.

Problem number 2 is the stressful and demanding society we live in. It creates wicked pepole who need to take that anger out. It is not a problem spawn from games, but we still have to blame ourselves for constructing a society that promotes stress and little relief.

Ghorgareth

The problem isn't a game, or a book (Well, one might make a case for the bible, but thats an entirely different thread on its own, and one I don't feel like going into.), or an action figure, or a movie, its piss poor parenting, handed down from piss poor parenting on back as far as most can recall.

You don't pay attention to your kids, and you expect them to turn out just perfect? You use the electric babysitter (A.K.A. the T.V.) and expect them not to emulate what they see, because they have no other examples to follow?

Maybe if parents didn't hand their problems off to Marilyn Manson, or GTA3, or this or that, and took some personal responsibility and did their job, there wouldn't be a problem.

I think that the most vile and disgusting thing out there currently is the news. I mean, we cant play GTAIII or watch Saving Private Ryan cause they are too violent, whereas we can watch as people torture others or large massacres. Games spawn from that, not generate it! pixelated/cartoon shaded games that have guns in them are horrible and put images in our mind, whereas reading TIME magazine and seeing a beach full of dead people is fine! Games are not the reason this happens! like someone else up there said, games try to mimic reality, not make reality! The only thing a game does is relieve stress(well... some of them), and make some people who have watched to much news laugh at many peoples untimely death. If parents dont want children to go on a killing spree, dont let them watch the news!!!!! Jeez ppl, whats wrong with u??????????

--------------------------------

That was my rant...

Well I can't find the article to copy and past, so at the cost of time I'll type out the short article here.

Killing Box

CHUCK OSBORNE [email protected]

Desensitized:

Numb From

Outside the Box

ON JUNE 28 AT 5P.M., I became witness to a triple

homicide. Ididn't see the gunman from my seat on a

San Francisco city bus, but being only about 50 yards

from the scene of the crime, I heard every gunshot

and viewed the aftermath: frightened bystanders hid-

ing behind cars, a woman running down the street

in panic, and finally, a crumpled body on the sidewalk.

Five people were shot that day, and three peo-

ple died. The shooter committed suicide soon after-

ward. And as much as I'd like to coyly admit that

this tragedy happened in a game of Grand Theft

Auto III, I can't --- it was real.

So can this column be any more maudlin? Well,

I'm not mentioning this event to brag about my dan-

gerous urban lifestyle: What became clear to me at

that moment, if there was any doubt beforehand, is

that the critics who blame videogames for society's

desensitization to violence are 100 percent wrong.

Not once did I think to myself, "Whoa, this is

like a shooter." The firecracker-like pops of a real

gun on the street don't sound much like the ones in

Battle Field 1942. No, in the fleeting split-second

between surprise and realization, my brain con-

nected dots to bloody crime scenes shown regu-

larly on the local news, to CNN war coverage, to

COPS, to...anything other than playing games.

I'll admit something else, too --- I felt desensi-

tized. Even after the realization of what was hap-

pening kicked in, curiosity outweighed terror. Was it

me...because I'm a gamer?

As the bus creeped forward, unwittingly putting

its passengers into the line of fire, the reactions of

those around me mirrored those from a theme-park

tram ride through mythical San Francisco-Land: We

gawked out the windows in eerie calm, only gasp-

ing at the sight of a body --- nobody hit the deck, or

hid in their seats, or screamed, or did any of those

things that rational, sensitive people are supposed

to do. We'd already seen it all before, either on TV

or firsthand. Only thise time the screen was bigger.

And somehow I doubt that the middle-aged

Chinese woman sitting next to me had ever heard

of Postal 2, or that the elderly man with groceries

was heading home for Quake practice. Nor do I

suspect that the indigent 53-year-old shoot, who

police say had a history of mental illness, was

inspired by a videogame.

It was a tragedy and I don't feel good about

being desensitized to it. But, sadly, real life did the

job long before I mashed my first button.

whoa, yea i think if i saw something like that in real life it would be really disturbing....it would be nothing like anygame like he said, i dont think ANY game or movie etc. could have inspired that guy to do that.... and also i hate how all people think ALL teens are bad, evil demons, many of us arent, this probly could have a huge topic itself, with all the people over 20 fighting against the people under 20, but i dont want that, i mean we come here with a passion for gaming, we dont need fighting, but most of the teens i no are actually really nice and well mannered, granted some of us are "mischevieous" and that i am sometimes that way(but who isnt??) but deep down, im a good guy. like most teens are, the problem is that a couple of some group goes out and does something, then some greedy power hungry media corporation take that story and practically lanches a campaign against that group, teenagers, gamers, movie-buffs, who ever. i think every thing is magnified by the media, its at a point were i pay no attention to it, what we need is a media that tells the truth and is UNbiased. i'm sry for that, the media just make me mad.....

Archived