Locational Damage

EbrithilUmaroth

A snappier Locational Damage would be awesome. With my archer play through it's always annoying when enemies survive arrows through the eye or neck due to Locational Damage not tracking properly.

Yeah, there's only two options for Locational Damage and both of them are pretty bad.

Deadly Combat's Locational Damage system is a joke, you can't even tell if it registered or not since it barely makes a difference in damage (if any difference at all, I really can't tell) and the only configuration option is to turn it off.

If Locational Damage was just updated and streamlined, it would be perfect, but the mod author is mia, so we need a replacement.

I totally agree with locational damage being not well designed. Tried it and I have never got a critical hit in the head! Only feet and legs (?). A better version of this should be made. I would get it straight away (but only if it was compatible with Dawnguard)

EbrithilUmaroth:

Calling a mod "horrible", or a "joke" is not really the way to go about things around here. You being the author of a post on Reddit does not give you the rights to bash mods and their authors.
We are all modding as a hobby, and we are limited by the tools we have, so if something is not working as you would like it to, try changing it to your desires yourself, instead of bashing the ones who have given it a shot.

Please refrain from mod bashing in the future.

You're right, I'm sure the mod author put a lot of work into his mod and is proud of it.

That being said, it's still about time somebody made a better one. I'd do it myself if I knew even the first thing about modding but I don't. I don't know what program to use, I don't know what language to program in, I don't know what method of hit detection I would use, etc. So even if I did manage to pull it off, somehow, miraculously, it probably wouldn't be any better than the existing one. It's better left to an experienced mod author.

To be honest I'm extremely surprised this hasn't been mentioned more. To me, locational damage seems very important to combat, especially as an archer. I also imagine it wouldn't be that hard of a mod to make, given the right knowledge.

Also, I didn't bash the author I never said anything about him other than the fact that he's mia. I don't think I bashed the mod either, I simply stated facts but I can see how that can be interpreted as bashing.

Edited by EbrithilUmaroth

I love the idea of Locational Damage and it's something I feel should have been in the game to begin with but the only mod that does this is horrible.

Reasons it's horrible:

hes probably talking about this. just reword it next time so its not so insulting.

To be honest I'm extremely surprised this hasn't been mentioned more. To me, locational damage seems very important to combat, especially as an archer. I also imagine it wouldn't be that hard of a mod to make, given the right knowledge.

Given your knowledge about modding (which, since you don't even know which piece of software is used, is zero), I don't think you should be making claims about how hard or simple it can be. That essentially becomes uneducated guesses.

Being the author of a "best mods" list, you really should put more effort into knowing how modding actually works.

Also, I didn't bash the author I never said anything about him other than the fact that he's mia. I don't think I bashed the mod either, I simply stated facts but I can see how that can be interpreted as bashing.

By saying a mod is crappy, you are bashing the author as well, no matter how indirect that is, and you are definitely bashing the mod by stating these so-called "facts".

Now, if you want to continue this thread, please do so in a manner that follows Nexus ToS, or else the thread will be closed, and more severe actions may be employed, depending on the manner of your continuation.

I have a fairly thorough understanding of how modding and how mods work, but I have no knowledge of how to go about making one. I exaggerated when I didn't know what program to use, I know the Creation Kit is what most people use to be able to access game resources and such but I wouldn't know how to actually go about using it, since I never have.

And I know everything you need to know about modding like I know what an ITM record is, and an Undeleted Record and a Navmesh Record, I know the purpose of meshes, textures and normal maps, I know about animations, I know how variables work in programming since I know a few programming languages, etc.

I even know how to write scripted mod installers and have for several big mods. I usually create them for my own purposes since I hate manual installation and mods that don't package their patches in the main download but sometimes I collaborate with a mod author to create an official one.

So I know very well how mods work and I know how this one would work (in theory) and I know it wouldn't be hard to make. The only thing about this mod I don't know how it would work is I don't really know how the body part detection would work.

Would I have to make custom hitboxes over the skeleton? I think that's how Locational Damage did it but I have no idea how to do that.

Of course, because I don't know how to mod, there could be engine-based complications that make creating this harder, but in a general sense, creating localized hitboxes and simple scripts to scale damage up or down is not very difficult. It gets a little bit more complicated when you add effects like staggering, disarming, instant-kills, etc. but it's still not that difficult.

There's a huge difference between knowing how something works and knowing how to make it work.

Also, guess what, I just read the Terms of Service and there's nothing in there about mod bashing.

Edited by EbrithilUmaroth