Just started playing the game. A few n00bie questions

isamu99

Hey there, my mod doesn't conflict with GNR - more where that came from. Sorry about the confusion with the file names, it's my first mod and I haven't really got the time to re-upload all of the files. All of my sound files, just place the "Data" folder from my sound mod into your Fallout 3 "Data" folder. As for the Heavy Breathing, please pick one of them, either the male or female version. All of my sound files do not need .esp files.

Ah I see. OK thanks :thumbsup:

Hello everyone :) this is not a question, I just wanna express my opinion :) and this thread is suitable, I think.

I can't consider myself a noob in Fallout (however, I play this game from the 1st part up to now, time after time, and I'm not bored of it - it's a great world, in general I'm fond of science-fiction and RPGs, and this is all-in-one). Never heard anything about game mods (maybe there were some in F1 and F2, or Tactics, I dunno), I "discovered" them only in F3. I'm Russian, but some day I decided to play English versions (almost because the translations are not good enough - and some of them are just awful, so now I try to understand everything myself). By the way, sorry for my English :) When I walked through all the Wastelands for many times and there was nothing more to discover, I decided to try changing the usual order of things. Until this time I used only one mod, it was "the custom GNR-tracks" mod or something like this (although original soundtrack is great too, I wanted some change). But occasionally I found fallout3nexus.com (my friend told me that there's a mod with driveable bikes, so I started to search the Net. Unfortunately, I don't have an Internet connection myself, only at work). It turned out to be that there's a lot of interesting modifications on this site :) So I could play some - of course, if I manage to install them :) I remember how much pain for me was the installing of downloaded add-ons (Anchorage and so on) instead of buying them on disk - but they weren't sold in Russia that time. They appeared in shops much later. Well, I've got a question, though. What interesting mods can you advice? Mods that can change not only the looks, but also the story. I confess, I haven't read this thread all through. Maybe if I had then I would not ask :) thanks anyway.

Most of the mods mentioned earlier :P

I've started downloading slowly but surely most of the larger packs such as Fallout Wanderers Edition and FOOK and see how they manage to change the game atmosphere, but it'll require some thorough playing to get enough feeling to continue from that, I fear :/

Most of the mods mentioned earlier tongue.gif

I've started downloading slowly but surely most of the larger packs such as Fallout Wanderers Edition and FOOK and see how they manage to change the game atmosphere, but it'll require some thorough playing to get enough feeling to continue from that, I fear :/

OK, let's see ;) Thanks alot!

Guys, what are the best graphical settings to achieve a ROCK SOLID 60fps in this game? Here are my specs:

Windows XP 32bit

Intel Core2Duo E8500 OC'ed to 4.0Ghz

ATI Radeon 4870(just one. no crossfire)

3.2GB DDR2 Ram

1.2TB HDD

I had everything turned up to max and it was running smooth in the vault 101, until I got out into the wasteland and I notice the framerate started to dip between 40&50fps. So I turned AA, AF and Shadows completely off, and uninstalled the High Res Texture and Rocks pack. Turns out it didn't help too, much, as I'm still getting below 60fps out in the wasteland, and it especially gets choppy when engaging enemies in the Wasteland.

Is this normal for a machine with my specs? Are any of you getting a 100% ROCK SOLID and No flinching 60fps in the Wasteland portion of Fallout 3? If so, what are your specs and what graphic settings are you using?

Also, does Fallout 3 support Crossfire dual ATI Cards?

Try using this:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8886 - Fallout stutter remover

It also depends on the mods you have, if you run a few overhaul mods at the same time, then it'll still pretty much lag even if you have a better system than the current one. Lower your screen resolution and turn of vsync. Set water reflection quality to medium and turn off soft reflection. Fallout 3 does not support Crossfire dual ATI cards, read this:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42840/Fa...t-3-Performance

A lot of the in-game graphics cannot be changed with the start-up menu, I suggest using this as a guide and tweak the .INI file to your liking. Use this as reference: http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_1.html

Try using this:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8886 - Fallout stutter remover

It also depends on the mods you have, if you run a few overhaul mods at the same time, then it'll still pretty much lag even if you have a better system than the current one. Lower your screen resolution and turn of vsync. Set water reflection quality to medium and turn off soft reflection. Fallout 3 does not support Crossfire dual ATI cards, read this:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42840/Fa...t-3-Performance

A lot of the in-game graphics cannot be changed with the start-up menu, I suggest using this as a guide and tweak the .INI file to your liking. Use this as reference: http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_1.html

Thanks Adrian that link helped :)

Woohoo guys I made it to level 4!! :lol

I'm in the middle of trying to find a live mine to take back to Moire. I made it to the mine field but the only ones I've found are the ones blowing me to Smithereens :lol:

Anyway, I have two questions I'd like to know:

1)Before I make the trek to

Galaxy News Radio, I was told to level up a bit. What level do you recommend being at before going there? 6? 7? Are the enemies tough down there?

2)I've had two occasions where the game CTD'ed on me the first one is when I was trying to enter

Mr. Burke's House. Soon as I approached his front door the game crashed. Could this be because I've already killed him?

The second time, was when I went to Springfield Highschool or whatever it's called, and discovered the basement tunnel. Upon encountering the numerous large ants down there, the game crashed while in the middle of me fighting them(via melee attacks, if that makes any difference).

Are these two crashes common? Did any of you experience them at these particular locations?

Try to sneak

instead of walking towards them, keep your eyes open, when you hear the beep sound, either pick it up quickly or get away. I can even buy one and lie to her.

1) You can actually

go there when you're around level 3. You don't really need to worry, you don't need to kill all the super mutants, you'll get assistance from The Brotherhood of Steel, they kick butts so you can either find a place to hide while they do their job or find cover and shoot from far away.

2) Fallout 3 CTD's sometimes, it may not be mod related at all. It tends to happen after playing long sessions, your computer is getting a lil' high in temperature or when you're in a shootout where lots of processing memory needed. You don't have many mods running so I'm sure it's not mod related.

I do not think they are common CTD. You can try this method to solve common CTD:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=7529

• 2 weeks later...

K guys, to give you an update on where I am

(MEGA Spoilers obviously)

I have escaped Vault 87, re-accompanied myself with Fawks, cleaned up my inventory a bit and now I'm heading back to the Citidel.

Got a question for you guys...

Who is the strongest character that can accompany you in the game? Is it Steel Paladin Cross or Fawks? I had Cross and she was umm, kinda strong, but Fawx is a REAL a$$ kicker LOL! :P

By the way you guys weren't kidding! I have already maxxed out my level cap and I've had no problems maintaining a very good Karma rating. Thank god for the Level Cap remover mod :D

Who is the strongest character that can accompany you in the game?

I'm not sure, they both are tough as I heard. Never took Paladin Cross with me, Fawkes is enough I think :)