What do you think of Crysis?

Halororor

Crysis  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Crysis is:

• Teh bestast game coz it haz the bestast graphics ever!!11eleven
    • A great game with great visuals.
    • A mediocre game with great visuals.
    • A benchmark program with a game loosely tacked on.
    • A graphics fapfest for PC fanbois.

So, seeing as this has been quite the controversial topic in the past and now again in anticipation of the sequel, what did you think of the game?

Well, my personal opinion is that it is a graphics fapfest, with a story tacked on for the novelty of it. Sure, the game wasn't that bad, but it sure as hell didn't come close to most shooters in the last five years. I feel the only reason it did well was because of its far superior graphics. Take away the graphics and what remains? A standard shooter that doesn't really innovate anything. Even the original Far Cry did more for the shooter genre than Crysis.

Take an example, if you removed Crysis's graphics and replaced it with those of say, FEAR, would it still have sold as well as it did? No need to answer that rhetorical question as the only answers I'll get are those saying yes just to 'prove me wrong'. :P

The problem is, aside from those who force themselves to talk about the 'great gameplay' just to act as if they don't only care about the graphics in the game, I've never actually heard many discussions where people talk positively about the game itself. The graphics are always the most discussed thing about it. And let's face it, the graphics are the main selling point of this game. Have you ever come across people in the videogame stores actually talking about the gameplay of Crysis for an extended period of time? I doubt it. I worked in one for a while and all people asked me about the game was if it would run on their PCs, how it would look, how awesome the graphics are. Yap yap yap.

Sure, you've got the nanosuit. A really awesome idea, I'll admit, but still not enough to save the game in my eyes. It doesn't help if you have the uber weapon, but the story is a rehash of stories found in other games, just with other characters and settings. The game really did nothing new, apart from the nanosuit. Had they taken Far Cry 1 and just redone it with the Crysis engine, pure win would have emerged.

The problem isn't that Crysis was bad. In fact, I quite enjoyed it, the multiplayer even more so while it lasted, but it definitely didn't do anything to garner much excitement from me for the sequel, nor a second playthrough. The gameplay wasn't bad, but was a reasonably meh shooter. Not changing much about the formula. It had a few tactical elements, but nothing more interesting than most other shooters usually offer you.

But probably my biggest gripe is that people see Crysis as the be all and end all of PC gaming, then when you point this out to them they deny it vehemantly. Solely because of the graphics. People will vehemently defend the game just because they liked the graphics. Oh, and for some reason everybody sees fit to compare every new release to Crysis with lame comments like 'lol it douchent look like Crysis' or 'wow it sucks because crysis looks more real than my fapstick.'

The only thing I want to say, is that the only way Crysis is superior to most other FPS games is in the graphical sense. It did nothing else that hasn't been done in other games before. The nanosuit was inventive, but so was the jetpack in Dark Void, and the Time Shift abilities in TimeShift and the various other games that did things like that. Stop comparing every game to Crysis and everybody is happy. I have no problem if somebody likes the game, they can do so all they want, as it is their choice, but don't barf on my Cornflakes if I state that I don't like it.

Either way, Crysis might look 'realistic', but realism does not equal fun. Fallout 3 had dated graphics at release and was waaay more fun. :P

Soooo, discuss.

I voted "A mediocre game with great visuals". The game is realy a nice shooter but strangely I don't like the whole Nono-Suit-Thing. Dunno, it's just my personel taste. But besides of that it's a great game, maybe except the Alien thing, which is absolutely uncool imo :P

I admit I din't finished the game. And yeah, I think you are right, there are better shooter out there. But this not that important. If I want to play an awesome shooter, then I play BF2 ;D

I think it's a great game and it looks good to.

I also think I'll never be able to play it on PC, but I might get a Xbox360 version.

It's... Well, a functional experience. It certainly passes the time, and the graphics are great. Plus, it's fun to grab a lone Korean by the throat and demolish a house with him. But it didn't really lieave any impact on me. I blazed through the campaign and haven't played it since, really. The enviroments are great, the weapons are fun... But the story is mediocre and doesn't interest me. All I felt was sensation of me being an imperialistic stormtrooper who beat up commies for their audacity to do some occupying on their own. Allthough the part when you find the alien wreckage was very interesting, the levels with the actual aliens were the worse ones in my opinion, making an already rather mediocre gameplay and making it even blander.

But it's a nice game, it's entertaining and looks great to boot, but it's nothing you haven't played before.

But it's just not my type of game. A nice effort, and it's a game that have some sustance beyond graphics, allthough it's all safe and tried. I wouldn't have bought it, though, and the reason I played it is because I got it as a gift. Glad that I did though, I learned that there were more behind it than just graphics. Allthough not enough to run away with my heart, like the games I truly like.