GOTY worth it?

Rixirite

Hey, I would have posted in the discussion but since this involves the game and its content I thought it would be best written and said in here. A while ago (Mid-2009) I bought Fallout 3, and then I bought a combo DLC pack featuring Operation Anchorage, and The Pitt. I was going to buy the second content pack that has DLC Broken Steel and Point Lookout, however I have noticed that the GOTY edition actually has a physical copy of Mothership Zeta. I love the Fallout 3 setting, gameplay, and visuals. It has impressed me with high replay value and fun. I would like to know however: Is it worth getting the second DLC pack or should I shoot for the GOTY?

Is Broken Steel, and Point Lookout any good? I heard some criticism about Mothership Zeta, but it does add new quests and content which I like a lot. However before I make a move I need some of you guys to tell me what you think. Should I spend 20 bucks on two DLC's or 50 bucks to get the game along with all the DLC's excluding the two DLC's I already own?

There is my query.

I will answer your first question only since I only own Operation Anchorage DLC.

It comes down to personal taste. GOTY is way more buggy compared to the vanilla + seperate DLC's. The only good thing about it is it's cheaper. It depends on your situation too. Like me, I have the vanilla + Operation Anchorage ONLY. So it's worth it if I get GOTY. For you, I think it's not worth it to get GOTY since you already have the combo pack with you. So just get the other seperate 3 DLC's.

The only problem is: Mothership Zeta is not sold individually retail, so if I purchased it would be from the internet and I don't like digital copies of a game..

But what makes the GOTY more buggy? Is it different than the way Fallout 3 is made?

goty is not more bugging at all from my own experience. Most of the DLC changes do NOT affect the vanilla game at all, so the bugs the DLCs introduce would be confined to that DLC itself. Heck, you don't even find weapons from the DLCs on vanilla enemies unless you're using an overhaul mod or something similar, the only thing I can think of is the higher level enemies of broken steel once you hit the teens in levels. Besides, I haven't found the DLCs that buggy anyway. Lastly, as long as you get the 1.7 patch and do some tweaking your game should be fine more or less... I recommend either using an overhaul mod or at least unofficial fallout patch for bug fixing.

Personally I thought mothership zeta was pretty subpar. The whole atmosphere is just stupid, too. The pitt has a much better environment, plus cooler new items and plot. operation anchorage is a nice change of pace with different gameplay + lots of nice items for not much effort, comparatively (pretty amazing for a character just starting out). broken steel is of course pretty much a must have for the increased level cap and so on. point lookout is very sandbox, whole new area to explore and several very interesting quests (okay, maybe like one major questline composed of several and another side one, but still. it's cool). you won't be that bad off without mothership, I'd rank it worst DLC with OA second worst.

Seconded. Mothership Zeta is (to me) Horse Armor v2. GOTY editions of games equal value for money, but you'd be doing yourself a favor if you bought the BS&PL pack.

The only thing is: I will be missing out on the weapons and armor you get from Mothership Zeta. Also, this means I cannot get mods like the space station house. I will have to consider this...

If I bought Mothership Zeta via digital copy does it come with a executable that I can burn to a disc? Also, if I do get MZ digital purchase will it mean that I have to be logged into Games For Windows Live or any of that crap?

Too late, already purchased the DLC pack including Broken Steel and Point Lookout.

I guess I will buy the GOTY in a year when the price tag is 20 - 30 bucks. I like collecting the boxes from the DLC's, I just wish Bethesda made a Mothership Zeta retail copy. Does anyone have any information on what it is like getting the DLC from Microsoft? Do you have to be logged into the internet for the DLC to work or is it a ordeal where you get a .exe file and you install it yourself (Without needing internet access)?

The DLCs are little more than glorified mods. You do not need to be signed in to anything to use them. You can (and should) treat them as such slap them into your data folder.