Seemingly Low FPS w/ ENB

ADD1CTEDGAM3R

Oh, god. Another ENB thread. http://imgs.pbnation.com/smilies/facepalm.gif

I've been trying out some ENB presets to enhance the visuals in my upcoming play of the game. The problem is that my FPS seems to be struggling, and in the past, I didn't have this problem. Well, I didn't have it with just about every preset like I am now.

So far I've tried Seasons of Skyrim, True Vision, Real Vision, and Phinix Natural ENB mods. Some of them come with "Extreme Performance" options that bring my FPS back up, but lack some of the features I want in an ENB. Specifically, they lack Ambient Occlusion and Detailed Shadowing. Without these, the game looks... fake.

Wanting to see if perhaps the textures and meshes I had installed were playing a part, I deactivated just about everything. The only things I have active now are the DLC, the Unofficial Patches, the Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized (Hybrid + Vanilla Normal Maps version), and the Unofficial High Resolution Patch - Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized Compatible version. With the "No DOF" option of Seasons of Skyrim fully installed, using the suggested v0.236 ENB version, I get around 40-45 FPS in most areas. The in-game settings were set to Ultra and nothing was changed (other than the necessary ENB INI tweaks)

This seems low to me... I thought my system could handle more than that. Here are the specs.

CPU: Intel i5-4670K (not OC'd)

GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB (not OC'd)

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Is this the sort of FPS I can expect with a full-on ENB (minus DOF, which I don't like), even with no meshes or textures added?

(waves) hey hows it going...

Post your ENB ini files , Yes ENB can hit a system hard, even the performance versions (they are more or less turning off features ) and yes i agree without the shadows and AO, Skyrim is kinda flat...

Personally using Serenity ENB and the latest ENB 254.... getting a steady FPS (capped at 33 ) , Nvidia Adaptive Vsync 1/3 Refresh rate. Game is gorgeous and smooth.

What FPS do you get if you disable ENB in-game ? [shift] + [F12]

Edited by camaro_69_327

If I disable it I get 60 pretty consistently (V-sync'd).

I was toying around with the shadows to compromise and gain some FPS with ENB enabled, but now I ran into a new problem.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1862775-crashing-after-simple-ini-tweak/

Edited by ADD1CTEDGAM3R

If you want to play around with customized ini files, you might want take a look EWIs ini files http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51033/? , with his high ini settings and Skylight ENB (+ loads of textures and other mods) i can run my game nicely around 40-50 fps open areas and constant 60 fps interior areas (i5, 670gtx and 16gb ram).

Newer enb presets are more demanding than older versions and depends of enb type, they can affect your performance quite heavily. Serenity ENB looks amazing, best out there imho, but depends how big fps hit you're willing to take. Skylight ENB feels like acceptable compromise for me atm. And people like different looks and settings :smile:

I don't know that much about .ini files, honestly. There could be values in there that would decrease performance on my machine. For example, he might have changed things in the "Havok" section, and I've read in stability guides that this isn't a wise thing to do, as they're best left at default values.

As far as Serenity ENB is concerned; I'll take a look at it. I think I'm sold on the Seasons of Skyrim ENB though; it looks great. I've become used to it from watching Gopher's Skyrim videos, as it's what he uses.