FOMM Causing FO3 to crash on startup (Windows 7)

JohnGrimm

So I made the switch to windows 7 back in January and since then I haven't been able to play Fallout 3, well not the Fallout 3 I know and love.

Here's the situation.

Windows 7 64-bit, nVidia 9800 GTX+ Quad core, 4gb ram.

I put Fallout 3 and Oblivion onto my external hard drive because it was honestly just easier to run them off of there and it had a lot more space. So I figured when I made the switch to Windows 7 it wouldn't be a big issue. Well low and behold it's not unplayable :confused:

I know there's an issue with FOMM and a certain version of .Net Framework, but I haven't found a way to downgrade my version of it.

Any helps always appreciated.

Unplayable as in? You get CTD right from the start? Are you using any mods?

My suggestion might sound dumb but it's worth trying. Try making a backup for your .ini files for Fallout 3, then delete the current one. See if you can run the game.

FOMM should not be deemed guilt since it is not active when the game starts.

If you have it working at all it is working, else you may have the net framework corrupted (if I remember the version that comes with seven is enough to run the program), anyway you should consider updating it.

About running the game from external drivers, I must confess not having experience at all with it, yet it sounds "dangerous" to me, mainly because Windows may give it "wrong" driver letter, different from the one when the game was installed and so it will simply not work.

PS: I think you can force windows to keep certain drive letter, going to "Administrative Tools" in the Control Panel and from there navigating to "Computer Management" --> Disk Management and there "force" the choose letter to the driver. I just hope it works for removable drivers.

Apparently it's one of my mods because I turned them all off and it loaded up fine. Which is bizarre because everything ran fine before I switched to windows 7.

So now I guess I'll just need to go through and troubleshoot each one.

Hi there!

I am running Windows 7 64bit too, but without the external Hardrive,

just plain custom x86 program folder. I've installed official Updates of Win7 available.

This just troubleshooting, but who knows:

1) Have you created a fake live.dll in Fomm again (Pulldown Menu Tools/Install Tweaker)? You should!

2) Use the 3GB Enabler available on Nexus (even if you have less than 3 GIGs !!!!

With Win 7 64bit all you need to do is

- backing up your fallout.exe

- pull original into the 3GB extracted folder, press start, apply

- put exe back where it belongs.

Fallout will run like a breeze now!

3) Get Defraggler 64bit. You can defragmentate SPECIFIC FOLDERS with it.

Defrag your Data Folder.

I can't think of more right now. Even if this resolves nothing, onces it is resolved follow 2,3

It makes a big difference!

Olaf

Apparently it's one of my mods because I turned them all off and it loaded up fine. Which is bizarre because everything ran fine before I switched to windows 7.

So now I guess I'll just need to go through and troubleshoot each one.